PDA

View Full Version : almost hit in the face by the door

newdad
02-21-2005, 04:14 PM
i've had so many close calls now i lean backwards when opening the door.

i think the top right cornor sticks out too much and needs a redesign. or maybe it's my height. or maybe it's the cranky baby...

D.D.
02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Hmmmmmm............Helmut? :rofl:

iChick
02-21-2005, 05:51 PM

i think the top right cornor sticks out too much and needs a redesign. or maybe it's my height. or maybe it's the cranky baby...

That door is one of the first things my husband noticed and has mentioned it several times. That upper corner sticks out pretty far - and I'm not a tall person.

tonymey
02-22-2005, 06:35 AM
I thought it was only me that notice that, it's true and something we need to get use too Or we are going to have big knots around our head. I'm 6'3 and I notice it the first day as I open the car door the first time,, scary........ :loco:

obmd1
02-22-2005, 08:29 AM

Right after I got my 33OCI, I had a date (true, true, no relation). We were getting out of the car to go into this museum, and I SMACKED my head against the window, which I guess I did not see due to the car having no frame on the window. I bleed like a hemophilliac for quite a while from a gash just under my eye. The bump lasted longer than the relationship. :dunno:

tonymey
02-22-2005, 11:01 AM
I think it was the "date" that made you hit you head :rofl:

iChick
02-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I SMACKED my head against the window

OK - that reminded me of "Night at the Roxbury".

nunus
04-11-2005, 08:01 AM
OK - that reminded me of "Night at the Roxbury".
what happened to you was definitely not your fault. have had my x3 for 4 weeks and suffered 2 injuries from getting smacked in the head by the door! The design of the door is extremely dangerous, be careful I ended up in hospital this weekend!!! I'm about 5'6 and the doors are lethal for someone my height!!! :dunno:

JetBlack330i
04-11-2005, 08:33 AM

i think the top right cornor sticks out too much and needs a redesign. or maybe it's my height. or maybe it's the cranky baby...:confused:
You must have a weird standing posture...
The door handles would hit my thigh before the top of the door could hit my face (actually it'd be more like my neck, not face...) :dunno:

pipo
04-11-2005, 09:56 AM
You people must not have read the special BMW bulletin regarding door opening technique! It requires that both hands be free so that you may open the door with the handle and guide it open slowly with the other hand placed on the top/back of the door. Unfortunately, the bulletin was written in medieval German, so some of you may have missed it. ;)

Seriously, very sorry about those of you who have hurt yourselves with the protruding corner. :cry:

This design is one of those things that you just don't expect in a passenger vehicle, so it took me a while to awaken to the fact that it is very awkward. I then looked at the X3 from an aesthetic point of view, and decided that I am willing to live with the headbanging door, because it is attractive. So let's all be careful, open our doors sloooooooowly, and avoid further injuries.

nunus
04-12-2005, 07:34 AM
wow! you must not have children, do groceries, or have any sort of family life whatsoever! how convenient for you and how practical of BMW to target such a wide range of consumers!!! YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO READ A MANUAL TO KNOW HOW TO OPEN A DOOR WITHOUT GETTING YOUR FACE RIPPED APART, C'MON!!! I am definitely not ready to sacrifice my safety because the door is pretty?!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!! i'LL BE SURE TO TELL AS MANY PEOPLE AS I KNOW BY THE FASTEST MEANS POSSIBLE!!!

QUOTE=pipo]You people must not have read the special BMW bulletin regarding door opening technique! It requires that both hands be free so that you may open the door with the handle and guide it open slowly with the other hand placed on the top/back of the door. Unfortunately, the bulletin was written in medieval German, so some of you may have missed it. ;)

Seriously, very sorry about those of you who have hurt yourselves with the protruding corner. :cry:

This design is one of those things that you just don't expect in a passenger vehicle, so it took me a while to awaken to the fact that it is very awkward. I then looked at the X3 from an aesthetic point of view, and decided that I am willing to live with the headbanging door, because it is attractive. So let's all be careful, open our doors sloooooooowly, and avoid further injuries.[/QUOTE]

nunus
04-12-2005, 07:49 AM
You people must not have read the special BMW bulletin regarding door opening technique! It requires that both hands be free so that you may open the door with the handle and guide it open slowly with the other hand placed on the top/back of the door. Unfortunately, the bulletin was written in medieval German, so some of you may have missed it. ;)

This design is one of those things that you just don't expect in a passenger vehicle, so it took me a while to awaken to the fact that it is very awkward. I then looked at the X3 from an aesthetic point of view, and decided that I am willing to live with the headbanging door, because it is attractive. So let's all be careful, open our doors sloooooooowly, and avoid further injuries.

BMW EMPLOYEE? WANNA SEE SOME PHOTOS OF WHAT THAT DOOR CAN DO TO SOMEONE'S FACE? TWICE!

pipo
04-12-2005, 10:57 AM
The part about the manual was a joke at BMW's expense (guess my sense of humor is a bit too subtle :dunno: ). And as I said in the same post, sorry if any of you have truly hurt yourselves. The X3 is my primary family vehicle, and it works just fine for me.

Finally, I wish I worked for BMW. Then I'd get to drive a bunch of different amazing cars on a regular basis. :thumbup:

Feel free to vent. You sound upset. :mad:

nunus
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for your sympathy.
I am upset actually. My left eye is all messed up, was bed-ridden all weekend on medication, missed an important family function, all because of a car door! To boot, this was the 2nd time this happened to me!!! Sorry if I got upset but people don't take you seriously when stupid things like this happen because they think you're running into the door. I was seriously hurt and hope people take my injury seriously becuase I wouldn't wish this upon anyone else. I've been driving for a long time and have had several vehicles in my life, this has never happened to me with any other car make. I love BMW but this is a definite problem that people need to be aware of before someone loses an eye. I feel very lucky my situation wasn't worse. I CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH...BEWARE OF THE CORNER OF THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newdad
04-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your sympathy.
I am upset actually. My left eye is all messed up, was bed-ridden all weekend on medication, missed an important family function, all because of a car door! To boot, this was the 2nd time this happened to me!!! Sorry if I got upset but people don't take you seriously when stupid things like this happen because they think you're running into the door. I was seriously hurt and hope people take my injury seriously becuase I wouldn't wish this upon anyone else. I've been driving for a long time and have had several vehicles in my life, this has never happened to me with any other car make. I love BMW but this is a definite problem that people need to be aware of before someone loses an eye. I feel very lucky my situation wasn't worse. I CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH...BEWARE OF THE CORNER OF THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
did you report your incidents to BMWUSA?

nunus
04-12-2005, 01:38 PM
did you report your incidents to BMWUSA?

I reported it to BMW Canada and all I got was "it's not our fault you keep running into the car door!" I was LIVID when I heard that this morning! I was also told it's cheaper for BMW to have one law suit with me than to admit the problem world-wide! Can you believe it? I will take this as far as need be as I absolutely refuse to have a dangerous vehicle. Ironically, I bought this car becuase I thought it was safe!
I want BMW to give me an X5 instead (door's 7' higher) and they said they would if I paid the difference! They have until the end of today to get back to me....will let everyone know the outcome, the whole world if I have to! :mad:

PS-DON'T FORGET....WATCH THAT DOOR! :thumbup:

pipo
04-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I reported it to BMW Canada and all I got was "it's not our fault you keep running into the car door!" I was LIVID when I heard that this morning! I was also told it's cheaper for BMW to have one law suit with me than to admit the problem world-wide! Can you believe it? I will take this as far as need be as I absolutely refuse to have a dangerous vehicle. Ironically, I bought this car becuase I thought it was safe!
I want BMW to give me an X5 instead (door's 7' higher) and they said they would if I paid the difference! They have until the end of today to get back to me....will let everyone know the outcome, the whole world if I have to! :mad:

I would talk to a lawyer about this, because BMW would probably want to settle your case as quickly as possible in order to avoid the possibility of losing in court and establishing a precedent that other injured owners could then use to support their cases. Good luck and hope you're OK. See, I don't work for BMW, even though I love them! :angel:

JetBlack330i
04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry to say this... your lawsuit is more frivolous than that of a certain member called Named Plaintiff.
When BMW says you pay the difference, it means they will give you current market value for your car, not what you paid for it.
I'll eat my hat if they give you what you paid because you're a numnut and hit yourself in the face with a door.
I don't doubt that you injured yourself, twice. I'm saying that what you experienced was due to your own fault. It's a condition that some people have. I know that because my wife is the same way. She has no idea where her head is and will hit her head on just about anything. I live in the same house and never hit my head on the things she did hit. You can't expect the world to be child proof for your safety. It'd make the world too expensive for the rest of us. Let alone expecting us to pay for your own mistakes. Live with it.
I got a black finger nail last time I removed the wheels (it was too heavy and fell on my finger). Should I sue BMW? :rolleyes:

dherzfeld
04-12-2005, 06:31 PM
I have a Yakima bike rack on my car, with the bars extending over the side a bit. I've hit myself right square in the forehead by not paying attention. Who can I sue? Should I sue Yakima, and maybe include Ford as a secondary defendant? Can I sue the maker of my ball cap, which shaded my eyes and prevented me from seeing the bar?

C'mon, get real. This is the reason liability insurance is skyrocketing.

obmd1
04-12-2005, 08:29 PM
what happened to you was definitely not your fault. have had my x3 for 4 weeks and suffered 2 injuries from getting smacked in the head by the door! The design of the door is extremely dangerous, be careful I ended up in hospital this weekend!!! I'm about 5'6 and the doors are lethal for someone my height!!! :dunno:

ya see, there's the issue.. the fact that I was a schmuck, and schmacked my face on the door of the car that was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME was indeed, my fault. In a world full of predictable evils, my car door is certainly an avoidable one.

Oh, and it was my VW, NOT my BMW, which I bought sometime later. Suing the manufacturer implies that there is a design flaw. Other than padding the door to protect against dorks like me who can't sometimes pay attention, not sure how they can protect me against myself.

Bart001
04-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Sueing a car manufacturer because you are so clueless that you bang the door into your face when you open it is almost the funniest (or saddest) thing I've read on these forums!

But that's why we read forums. One part education, one part entertainment.

stevenw66
04-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Maybe we can recommend that BMW put a sticker on the door with the warning:

"Warning, opening the door into your face may result in serious injury"

A big yellow sticker on the door frame, something like the airbag warning.

The sad thing is that in the US this actually might happen along with the message in the mirror "objercts may appear farther away then they are".

:bawling:

pipo
04-13-2005, 11:08 AM
This has definitely become one of the more entertaining threads in recent history. But even you Rush Limbaugh types have to admit that the door design is a bit awkward. Now I've never popped myself with it, but I have opened it quickly a few times and had to bob and weave to avoid the knockout!

Maybe BMW designed it as a special stealth sobriety test, endorsed by MADD. If you've had one too many, you don't even make it to the driver's seat. The headbanging door lays you out before you can cause any further damage! :yikes:

obmd1
04-13-2005, 11:21 AM
This has definitely become one of the more entertaining threads in recent history. But even you Rush Limbaugh types have to admit that the door design is a bit awkward. Now I've never popped myself with it, but I have opened it quickly a few times and had to bob and weave to avoid the knockout!

Maybe BMW designed it as a special stealth sobriety test, endorsed by MADD. If you've had one too many, you don't even make it to the driver's seat. The headbanging door lays you out before you can cause any further damage! :yikes:

That's the first time I have ever been compared to that blow-hard....

seriously... so it's awkward... it may force one to open the door and THEN step into the car. Is this actionable? Do we really want it to be?

I just went to the restroom.. when flushing the urinal it splashed my pants (that's my story and I am stickin to it). Who should I sue? The water company? American Standard? The hospital? The plumber?

:rofl:

pipo
04-13-2005, 06:36 PM
That's the first time I have ever been compared to that blow-hard....

seriously... so it's awkward... it may force one to open the door and THEN step into the car. Is this actionable? Do we really want it to be?

I just went to the restroom.. when flushing the urinal it splashed my pants (that's my story and I am stickin to it). Who should I sue? The water company? American Standard? The hospital? The plumber?

:rofl:

Well, it's just that the people who scream loudest about frivolous litigation tend to be more conservative than progressive, and this is a pet issue of the Rush Limbaugh conservatives these days.

Hate to break it to you, but I'd rather take the headbanging door case than the flushed urinal water on pants case any day. Good story or not, everyone will know that you didn't drip-shake the apparatus sufficiently before putting it away! Shameful! And the girls definitely don't like the telltale spotting. But you've got the right idea about potential defendants -- just go for the deepest pockets. ;)

nunus
04-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Who would have guessed that getting smacked in the face by a car door would turn out to be one of the best things that could ever happen to a person??!! :dunno:

Good luck y'all!!! :bigpimp:

obmd1
04-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Who would have guessed that getting smacked in the face by a car door would turn out to be one of the best things that could ever happen to a person??!! :dunno:

Good luck y'all!!! :bigpimp:

so did you get paid, or marry your lawyer? :confused:

Tayrum
04-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe we can recommend that BMW put a sticker on the door with the warning:

"Warning, opening the door into your face may result in serious injury"

A big yellow sticker on the door frame, something like the airbag warning.

The sad thing is that in the US this actually might happen along with the message in the mirror "objercts may appear farther away then they are".

:bawling:

Now that's funny. My vote is for this solution however etching into the window would be even better.

99flhr
04-25-2005, 03:13 PM

So, after the test drive the dealer takes off the user friendly doors and fits the evil ones prior to delivery? Sounds like bait and switch to me...

acitydweller
04-30-2005, 03:38 AM
be careful! :(

sfehr
07-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I sympathize with Nunus.

I took my X5 in for servicing yesterday and was given an X3 as a loaner. This morning I went to put something on the front passenger seat. The next thing I knew, I had been whacked in the face and received a cut under my eye that began bleeding profusely. I agree that for certain height people (I am 5' 9") this is a problem and a design flaw.

I find it funny that people on this post are ridiculing people who were actually hurt by what appears to me to be a very poor design. If a children's toy or furniture was produced with sharp edges or other poor design issues that then resulted in children becoming injured, that product would more than likely be recalled immediately.

Driving is dangerous enough, getting into your car shouldn't be at all.

ChiefCrazyTalk
07-14-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm about 5'6 and the doors are lethal for someone my height!!! :dunno:
Hmm I'm 5'10" and have not had a problem yet - but I'll be sure to be careful!