PDA

View Full Version : 2006 AWD 5-Series Info

SARAFIL
02-24-2005, 06:05 PM
BMWNA released a dealer bulletin today clarifying some AWD 5-series features and specifications.

Here are the key points:

-The wagon will be AWD only. No RWD is planned.

-AWD will be available only on 6-cylinder cars

-Active Roll Stabilization, Active Steering, and SMG Gearbox are NOT AVAILABLE on AWD cars.

-Xenon headlights will be standard equipment on 530 models, optional on 525.

-Power Liftgate will come in the 530xit Premium Package

-Sport Package will include Shadowline Exterior Trim and Sport Seats. The standard wheel and tire package will be carried over to the Sport Package for all-weather capability. For customers that so desire, upgraded wheels with Performance tires will be a stand-alone option available on top of the Sport Package. On the 525xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 525i Sport. On the 530xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 530i Sport.

-Sport Package WILL NOT include a Sport Suspension.

sph17
02-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Both a 530XiT and a 525XiT or am I mixing my wagons and sedans?

Previous information had it only the 530XiT would come to the US.

CascadeTelcom
02-24-2005, 08:39 PM
BMWNA released a dealer bulletin today clarifying some AWD 5-series features and specifications.

Here are the key points:

-The wagon will be AWD only. No RWD is planned.

-AWD will be available only on 6-cylinder cars

-Active Roll Stabilization, Active Steering, and SMG Gearbox are NOT AVAILABLE on AWD cars.

-Xenon headlights will be standard equipment on 530 models, optional on 525.

-Power Liftgate will come in the 530xit Premium Package

-Sport Package will include Shadowline Exterior Trim and Sport Seats. The standard wheel and tire package will be carried over to the Sport Package for all-weather capability. For customers that so desire, upgraded wheels with Performance tires will be a stand-alone option available on top of the Sport Package. On the 525xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 525i Sport. On the 530xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 530i Sport.

-Sport Package WILL NOT include a Sport Suspension.

Any news on the possible appearance of the 535 Diesel in USA markets?

ketchup
02-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Wagon only eh ? That's dumb, they need to try harder in competing with the Merc's 4matic.

MarcusSDCA
02-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Wagon only eh ? That's dumb, they need to try harder in competing with the Merc's 4matic.

Well....in SARAFIL's post I read that the wagon will only be offered in AWD. I don't see that the sedans won't be offered in AWD.

ketchup
02-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Well....in SARAFIL's post I read that the wagon will only be offered in AWD. I don't see that the sedans won't be offered in AWD.
ahhh I read it wrong, it's late.

:confused: it read: ONLY wagons will have AWD and ketchup needs to sleep.

BMW528i_Bilal
02-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Any news on the possible appearance of the 535 Diesel in USA markets?

That would be awesome, and long overdue with the Mercedes Benz E320 CDI on the market.

chivas
02-25-2005, 07:14 AM
i'd rather get a Subaru WRX wagon.

JB-From-FL
02-25-2005, 07:41 AM
They are tin cans with a big motor. If I was given one I would trade it for a BMW.

i'd rather get a Subaru WRX wagon.

Tahoe
02-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I guess I understand that BMW needs to have a product for people who don't know how to drive and feel more secure with AWD but I have never had a problem with 4 Blizzaks on my 540i and we do get LOTS of snow here in Tahoe. The ONLY advantage I can see is when leaving "the hill" (as we say here) and there are R-2 chain controls.
R-1: Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.
R-2: Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels.
R-3: Chains required - ALL VEHICLES- no exceptions.
R-1 and R-2 are the most common chain controls. The highway will often be closed before an R-3 control is imposed.
When we are at R-3 there is NO reason to be out, even for us seasoned winter drivers. We do have an AWD vehicle in the family for such occasions to avoid the hassle of dealing with chains and also to avoid driving MY car when there are a bunch of idiots on the road that don't know how to drive in the snow. You see, we get a lot of skiers/boarders from the Bay Area in their big SUVs that think they are tanks but don't have a clue. Pretty scary.

bmwguynj
02-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the great info and the Sports Package update.

It's going to possibly snow again this Monday here in NJ and I have to say, although AWD is not invinsible in snow, it's still a better option than FWD or RWD and I am too lazy to switch out my tires and rims every winter, since NJ is either a hit or miss in the winter (either you get dumped on by snow or you don't).

Do I need Active Steering and Anti Roll Stabilization? It would be nice, but probably not.

Do I need the Sports Suspension? YES! But I can compromise and live without if needed, since BMW's handling stock is as good or better than any other brand. Maybe the ride will also be not as firm which is a plus with a baby in the back.

Do I love the fact that their is a sports package for this version and the current sports package rims and tires are still the same. YES!

Do I love the fact that with an AWD vehicle I don't have to stress out when it snows? HECK YES!

The 530xi is still more appealing to me than the Lexus GS300 AWD. I can't wait!

SARAFIL
02-27-2005, 06:35 AM

It's going to possibly snow again this Monday here in NJ and I have to say, although AWD is not invinsible in snow, it's still a better option than FWD or RWD and I am too lazy to switch out my tires and rims every winter, since NJ is either a hit or miss in the winter (either you get dumped on by snow or you don't).

Do I need Active Steering and Anti Roll Stabilization? It would be nice, but probably not.

Do I need the Sports Suspension? YES! But I can compromise and live without if needed, since BMW's handling stock is as good or better than any other brand. Maybe the ride will also be not as firm which is a plus with a baby in the back.

Do I love the fact that their is a sports package for this version and the current sports package rims and tires are still the same. YES!

Do I love the fact that with an AWD vehicle I don't have to stress out when it snows? HECK YES!

Caution: many of the benefits associated with the AWD are going to be lost if you get the wheel upgrade with Performance tires. If you don't want to change tires, I'd strongly recommend the all-season tires. Otherwise, be prepared to be disappointed.

Don't believe me? Try driving an X5 4.4 with 19" wheels or even an Audi with Quattro and Sport/Performance tires in the snow. You won't be happy.

gojira-san
02-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Caution: many of the benefits associated with the AWD are going to be lost if you get the wheel upgrade with Performance tires. If you don't want to change tires, I'd strongly recommend the all-season tires. Otherwise, be prepared to be disappointed.

Don't believe me? Try driving an X5 4.4 with 19" wheels or even an Audi with Quattro and Sport/Performance tires in the snow. You won't be happy.Great point. This is exactly what people forget all the time. AWD/4WD systems are not invincible. Unfortunately people have bought into the hype (hey I know - I had to buy one AWD car because my wife said we need it for the bad weather - the funny part is I usually just take the 5er in bad weather since it is the commuter car LOL). I'm more than happy with my RWD 5er - it is a good, predictable car in the snow (with snow tires.) I'm bummed that BMW will not be bringing any RWD Touring models in any more.

anlauf
02-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I once asked an Alaskan tow truck mechanic what vehicle he pulled out of the snow ditch the most...he pointed to my rental 4 wheel drive and said those 4 wheelers. It was at that point that I GOT IT. Going back to basic 4 wheeling 101, always drive in 2wd UNTIL you get stuck...then use 4wd to get yourself out...if you drive around in 4wd all the time.....

bmwguynj
02-27-2005, 11:05 AM

Don't believe me? Try driving an X5 4.4 with 19" wheels or even an Audi with Quattro and Sport/Performance tires in the snow. You won't be happy.

I didn't think that the Sports Package for a AWD version had the Summer / Performance Tires (they would come with ALL seasons).

I don't think the current 330xi has the same Sports Package as the 330i, but it does have a sports package. To have summer tires on an AWD vehicle does not make sense.

gojira-san
02-27-2005, 12:02 PM
I once asked an Alaskan tow truck mechanic what vehicle he pulled out of the snow ditch the most...he pointed to my rental 4 wheel drive and said those 4 wheelers.It's no different in New England. Probably anywhere in snow country tow truck operators will say the same thing I'd wager.
I don't think the current 330xi has the same Sports Package as the 330i, but it does have a sports package. To have summer tires on an AWD vehicle does not make sense.I have an 04 330xi with the sport package. It came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A run flats in 205/50R17, which TireRack lists as hi-perf all seasons. They were awful in the snow; I bought the car near the end of last winter and drove through a couple of blizzards in the snow belt of NY and in Canada the first week I had it. I bought a duplicate set of wheels used over the summer and mounted snow tires to them - the difference is night and day. My 0.02 again :) Sorry to veer a little off topic :)

bmwguynj
03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
I wish the new 2006 BMW 530i info would come out soon. Lexus new GS is now posted and up on their website and it looks good too.

Link below:

http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/index.html

WAM
03-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Just adding my 2 cents worth to this thread, when talking about AWD, people seem to forget that it only helps you GET MOVING better than 2WD, but you still need to stop or turn. AWD has no effect on that, that is why winter tires are recommended.

X5HogTown
03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Curious... will X5 rims fit on the new 5 series, type 69 & 132 in particular?

SARAFIL
03-01-2005, 05:31 PM
I didn't think that the Sports Package for a AWD version had the Summer / Performance Tires (they would come with ALL seasons).

I don't think the current 330xi has the same Sports Package as the 330i, but it does have a sports package. To have summer tires on an AWD vehicle does not make sense.

The sport package is essentially broken down into piecesf-- the "Sport Package" for the 525xi/530xi includes part of the items (exterior trim, sport seats), while the other part comes as an additional stand alone option (sport wheels with performance tires, same as you'd get in a 535i/530i Sport Package). Order the Sport Package and the Wheel and Tire upgrade, and you have about 75% of the RWD Sport Package. You're still missing the suspension, active steering (now a totally seperate option for 2006, though), and active roll stabilization.

My comment on sport tires was in regards to a poster claiming that he was excited about getting performance tires on the 530xi. In response, I said it was a good way to end up in a ditch. The standard model will come with All-Season tires, and the default tires with the Sport Package are the same. You only get Performance tires if you buy the Sport Package AND the Wheel upgrade.

SARAFIL
03-02-2005, 03:25 PM
According to the dealer sheet given to me last week titled "0650 / NE73 - 530i" "2006 MY Production cycle: 3/05", active steering is listed as available Option 217 as is SMG Option 206. Also, the ZSP sport package included 226 sport suspension and 229 Active Roll Stabilization among other stuff.
:confused:

0650 NE73 is the RWD 530i, not the AWD 530xi. They are entirely different models as far as BMWNA is concerned, and the option availability is different.

Inquisitive
05-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I've been driving in snow for years in all kinds of vehicles. With talent one can drive anything in the snow, you just have to adjust for the characteristics of the car and the tires. In California AWD is essential if you don't want to put on chains when crossing the passes in heavy snow conditions. It's the law. So, putting all ego aside, AWD is unquestionably the best way to go. Just the potential body damage from a broken chain is enough to justify the purchase.

Inquisitive
05-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I've been driving an Audi S4 Quattro for years and it is amazing in snow. Despite earlier comments, I believe the AWD (at least Audi's version) helps regain traction from a skidding situation far better than 2WD. You just have to stay on the gas. It's the same concept with FWD but AWD is much better. I've tested this numerous times in parking lots and many times unintentionally on the road.

Now I find myself in the market for a AWD wagon. I hate the look of the Audi All Road but I know it will do the job nicely. So, I've been looking at the 5xiT as a much nicer option

My question about the 5xiT is whether the primary drive is in the rear or the front. (I believe AWD is essentially 2WD with instant power transfer to the other wheels when there's slippage.) If it's in the rear then all the AWD will be good for is getting moving. While FWD sucks for performance driving on dry pavement, it rules in snow. Can anyone tell me how the 5xiT is set up?

I'm not trying to dis BMW's, their terrific cars. I'm just trying to find the best car to keep me on the road during my weekly winter trips on narrow two lane mountain roads -- I don't like to drive slowly.

gojira-san
05-24-2005, 02:04 PM
My question about the 5xiT is whether the primary drive is in the rear or the front. BMW's xDrive is primarily RWD focused but constantly juggles the power to the wheels depending on the road.

wagonman
05-24-2005, 06:47 PM
BMW's xDrive is primarily RWD focused but constantly juggles the power to the wheels depending on the road.
this is correct as i understand it. the x-drive sounds very sophistocated in that it is primarily a rwd car until and unless traction is lost in the front then power is delivered in.10 of a second. you read that right. 1 tenth of one second. i imagine if one lived in an intense snow area (vermont, wyoming, michigan etc.) you would want some form of winter tires along with the x-drive.

wagonman
05-29-2005, 09:54 AM

i agree!

italia90
07-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I am eagerly awaiting the xi as well. I just hope it doens't look too high in suspension. I need AWD but still want the car to look great!

alstein
07-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Hi

I was pleased that BMW finally decided to put awd in their 5 series cars. Not having all wheel drive or even front wheel drive was a negative for me, since I live in Montreal, and the winters here make this feature very important.

Any opinions on whether we will be seeing a 545 with X-drive in the not too distant future?

Thanks.

italia90
07-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey Alstein, I'm thinking of waiting for the 3 series xi and I'm from Canada too. Why is it that you say AWD is important while others say RWD in Montreal is fine with a set of snow tires?

alstein
07-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey Alstein, I'm thinking of waiting for the 3 series xi and I'm from Canada too. Why is it that you say AWD is important while others say RWD in Montreal is fine with a set of snow tires?

The 3 series is available in AWD. I live on a street with quite a steep incline. During the winter, it is quite common to hear cars spinning their wheels when trying to move through snow and ice. IMO snow tires and rwd in Montreal during the winter makes for a really tough time getting around. A friend if mine had a mercedes with rwd, and traded it for a 320 awd after one winter.

italia90
07-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks alstein. I live in Calgary and experience a long snow season. I think I'm going to wait until October for the release of the new 3xi. The only hesitation I have is that the xi has a raised suspension and that it doesn't look as good. Have you heard anything on the this?

alstein
07-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks alstein. I live in Calgary and experience a long snow season. I think I'm going to wait until October for the release of the new 3xi. The only hesitation I have is that the xi has a raised suspension and that it doesn't look as good. Have you heard anything on the this?

No, I have not.