PDA

View Full Version : Alternatior Belt Tensioner

echelon153
02-26-2005, 06:45 PM
I noticed a weird engine noise like a worn T-belt last week. Took it in for service and it turned out that it was the Alt. Belt Tensioner and they had to replace it. Wow, At 970mi!?! Is this a BMW trait? :tsk:

mysticbluex3
03-09-2005, 07:41 AM
What did the noise sound like? Did the noise come on and off or is it on all the time? Warm or cold start?

echelon153
03-09-2005, 07:53 AM
sounded like a worn timing belt with a high pitch metal clunking. definitely did not sound normal. it only happened on cold starts. anyway, they replaced the alternator belt tensioner pulley along with other misc. parts. i can list the parts if you wish. so far the noice had not returned (crossing fingers).

mysticbluex3
03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
During warm starts (example driving for an hour, stop for 30min. then starting up again) I would hear this repetitive ta-ta-ta-ta noise fromt the engine. It has happened about 5-6 times. The noise would only last for max 5 seconds. Had the dealer check it out and they said it was faulty igintion coils and replaced all 6 ignition coils. Took it back from the dealer and the same probelm persisted, this time only lasted for 1 second (happened 2 times so far). I'm thinking it has to do with the engine's timing. Bringing it back to the dealer next week.

dherzfeld
03-11-2005, 03:13 AM
I noticed a weird engine noise like a worn T-belt last week. Took it in for service and it turned out that it was the Alt. Belt Tensioner and they had to replace it. Wow, At 970mi!?! Is this a BMW trait? :tsk:

Mein auto: Litespeed/Klein/KHS
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: