PDA

View Full Version : Another Zaino believer!

ktc
02-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Finally did my first Zaino wash on my new 3-series. The biggest difference in all the steps came from pre-wash to after the Z-7 wash. Man. It already looked 80% of the way where right after it was clean, and the clear-coat was sparkily. 1.5 ounce (3/4 of the ZFX bottle) could definitely cover my car 3x over, but after the second one I was too tired. Washing, claying, and drying my car already took nearly 1.5 hours. After the second Z2pro + Z6 coat, I finally gave up. It was good enough. Maybe it's my eyes, but I think it looked even better this morning than yesterday after it sat in the garage. :rofl: The car was much more reflective than 3 weeks ago when I picked it up at the dealership.

I used 1 coat of Z2 on the front/rear windshield, as well as the front passenger windows. Man, did it work! Today we drove up to San Francisco and back down, and it was raining quite hard. At the stoplight, my fiance said, "Whoa, the water is running off my window, but it's not doing that on the rear ones." :thumbup: By the time we were ~60-70mph on the highway, it was like aquapel -- no wipers necessary. Water was totally slicking off in tiny little lines on the sunroof, mirror housings, etc. The coolest was the windshield "saturate" with rain before I hit the wipers -- the water just FLEW off the side, and barely any stuck to the areas outside of the wipers. Although it rained, I'm really glad I got on this protective layer of Z2; next week all I'd have to do is just the Z7 wash, and that's it.

Spraying a bit of Z6 on the towel/applicator definitely helped spread the Z7 around. It was hard to determine where to clay, as everywhere felt smooth when the car was still wet after the Z7 wash; it was only after I dried the car and was applying the polish that I noticed some rough areas. Surprisingly the microfiber mitt and Z7 scrubbing didn't take those areas out. I also noticed that some dirt got UNDER BMW's paint job... there were one or two pits that stuck out, but was under the paint. :confused: Oh well.

At first I couldn't believe that I spent $85 on a car wash/polish kit, but after seeing the results, I definitely am proud of how it looked. Not sure if the Z6 "added" to the look, but it certainly made the 2nd Z2 layer much easier to put on (I used like half as much as the first layer).

TeamM3
02-27-2005, 08:23 PM
congrat's welcome on board :)

I generally avoid using the coatings on my glass though, especially the windshield, the only exception is the Z6 spritz, but that's not a coating.

ktc
02-27-2005, 09:37 PM
I generally avoid using the coatings on my glass though, especially the windshield, the only exception is the Z6 spritz, but that's not a coating.

I might be confused with Z7, but my local Zaino rep said that Z6 includes Z2, I think. I used a clean cotton applicator to only wipe the car down with Z6, and afterwards it was pink. I guess it's possible that I took off some Z2 from the car surface, but perhaps Z6 has a bit of polish on it as well?

Did you mean to imply that polishes/waxes are "bad" on glass?

FenPhen
02-28-2005, 12:53 AM
I might be confused with Z7, but my local Zaino rep said that Z6 includes Z2, I think. I used a clean cotton applicator to only wipe the car down with Z6, and afterwards it was pink. I guess it's possible that I took off some Z2 from the car surface, but perhaps Z6 has a bit of polish on it as well?Z6 does not have Z2 in it. Z6 is pink, either by nature, or colored so you can see how much is on your applicator.

Did you mean to imply that polishes/waxes are "bad" on glass?I'm hesitant to put on glass protectant (or car wax for that matter :confused: ) because I don't know if it'd interfere with the rain sensor (which works on refraction/reflection). :dunno:

TeamM3
02-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Zaino is removed by alcohol, a lot of glass cleaners and windshield washer solutions have alcohol in them, I guess if you like to spend the time zainoing your glass for nothing then feel free to keep it up :dunno:

F1Crazy
02-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Next time don't mix that much, I noticed that after first few coats 1oz is enough for 3 coats on 3 series.

One more thing I noticed is that the finish looks its best few days later after the first Z7 wash and Z6 QD. Put on sunglasses, I warned you! :D