PDA

View Full Version : Got a speeding ticket in NH, will it affect my MA driving record, namely STEP points?

Magna
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't mind just paying the fine, but don't want to have 2 STEP points on my record for 6 years. I know all the states have been talking about coordinating and sharing their databases for a while. Anybody know if it's in effect?

And if I appeal, what do you think my chances are? Hopkinton NH was where I got the ticket.

tim330i
03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I think NH and MA are connected but CT and MA aren't (or weren't).

Sorry I don't know 100%.

Tim

CharlieG
03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
I believe at this point there is a centralized national system, which is only not linked up in your nearby state of VT.

I have an excellent lawyer in MA if you ever have problems there, but not one for NH. You should fight it, and you should get a lawyer. It cost me $500 a pop, but he went 3 for 3 and my record is clean.

CharlieG
03-02-2005, 09:01 PM
BTW, my sister lives in Nashua and tried to fight a NH ticket on her own last month. She told me she wished she'd followed my advice about a lawyer. It is rare to get a break as a private citizen, and worse they will make the experience very humilating for you as well.

Chris90
03-11-2005, 07:39 AM
They do transfer from NH to MA yes (I've had 3 up there). NH is speeding ticket central.

They have what they call arbitration, you go in, talk to a police lawyer, and usually they will reduce your sentence on the spot. I've only done it once, but they reduced mine to $40, but unfortunately couldn't remove the points. I was charged for going 81 in a 55, and because the officer reduced the speed on the spot(showed leniency to save me money), they said they couldn't remove the points during arbitration.

The lawyer was a great guy, and we mostly talked about BWM club track days the whole time.

neelkc12
09-25-2013, 01:11 PM
They do transfer from NH to MA yes (I've had 3 up there). NH is speeding ticket central.

They have what they call arbitration, you go in, talk to a police lawyer, and usually they will reduce your sentence on the spot. I've only done it once, but they reduced mine to $40, but unfortunately couldn't remove the points. I was charged for going 81 in a 55, and because the officer reduced the speed on the spot(showed leniency to save me money), they said they couldn't remove the points during arbitration.

The lawyer was a great guy, and we mostly talked about BWM club track days the whole time.

Mind sharing the lawyer contacts. Need a real good one for my wife:dunno: