PDA

View Full Version : check engine light on even after replacing oxygen sensor

srikspace
03-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi,
I recently bought a 1993 bmw 325i sedan with 110k miles on it. It ran great for about 4 months now. Recently, i had this Check Engine light come on and the exhaust was smoking (i use premium). I used the Peake RC5/FX to sheck for the code and it gave me 0d - oxygens sensor. I replaced the Oxygen sensor and reset the error code. After a few days, the light came back on. This time i got two error codes: 0d (oxygen sensor) again and Lambda control (it think it was C4, but it was definitely lambda control)...
The local BMW dealer said he will charge 100$ for diagnostics alone. I remember finding a similar problem to one of our members... but could not find the remedy.
I would appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction here.

Thanks,

Sri

bol
03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
My 318 had multiple O2 sensor problems. A lot of water and condenstation had gotten into the ECU compartment and started to cause problems... always putting up an O2 sensor code.

I replaced the O2 sensor at first but I still had the same problem. That's when I discovered the wet ECU... I dried it off and it worked fine afterwards. I avoided touchless car washes after that...

Might not be your problem but it was mine.

srikspace
03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I checked my ecu compartment, and it is dry... as soon as the light comes on (after i reset it) i see a lot of smoke from the tail pipe... which means, the fuel system is running in open loop....
I am still not able to figure it out.
Thanks,
Sri

bol
03-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I'd check out the O2 sensors wiring harness and see if any of the wires have been disconnected/ripped. If you know that the O2 sensor is good(have tested it, etc) then there is probably a wiring problem or problem with the ECU.

AC Schnitzer
03-03-2005, 04:25 PM
There is two O2 sensors right? did you replace both?

srikspace
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I was under the impression that there is just one oxygen sensor...
I double checked the harness - i looks good. I donot know how to check ECU connection...
BTW, some where on the net i found that the error "Lambda control #1" also means "lean/Rich limit stop". I might have no other chice but to take it to a dealer for fixing...
Thanks
Sri

bol
03-03-2005, 11:41 PM
There is two O2 sensors right? did you replace both?

OBD1 BMW's have only one O2 sensor

srikspace
03-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi,
According to the local BMW dealer, the reason the oxygen sensor was failing often was a large accumulation of water in the exhaust. He also said that this was due to very small trips. he advised me to take the car for a long ~30-50 mile trip every month if possible.
Anyway, a 400$ later, all seems to be fixed.
Thanks,
Srikspace

shreker
10-14-2009, 09:13 PM
so was it the o2 sensor after all????

Eight Thirty
10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
did you reallly bring this back from 2005???

fail

shreker
10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Oh ****....I didn't see that...I would love to know if this fixed the problem???

madromas
10-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Anyway, a 400$ later, all seems to be fixed.
that's what you payd, to get rid of oxygen sensor problem? no offence but OMG!

bimmerbarbie
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
did you reallly bring this back from 2005???

fail

He's searching for the answer to his possible O2 issue, that's why he bumped this. Props for searching at least. Try a google search, not just on the Fest.

Eight Thirty
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
he is not going to get an answer... the op has not been online since 2005

shreker
10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Well atleast I'm searching!!!

shreker
10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Well atleast I'm searching!!!I don't think it should matter how old it is...The funny thing is people are still haveing the same problem....and still can't find an answer!!Plus I keep it old school!!lol!!!!!

madromas
10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Have you changed at least some parts that are mentioned above in your life time? It will help eliminate them.

List parts that you have changed since you owend it. Or if you know the person before changed something. Hard to point a finger on something just because it's 1222.

im
10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
just because a code reader gives a code regarding the oxygen sensor does NOT mean the oxygen sensor requires replacement.
sometimes a vacuum leak, loose wire, miss fire or other is the cause of the oxygen sensor code.

E36 Phantom
10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Well atleast I'm searching!!!I don't think it should matter how old it is...The funny thing is people are still haveing the same problem....and still can't find an answer!!Plus I keep it old school!!lol!!!!!

Thanks for searching man. Much preferable to starting a new thread. :thumbup:

What im said is exactly correct. There are different types of O2 errors and all kind of fun things. Sometimes the O2 code can just mean the values are outside the normal range, which means a different problem than the O2 sensor itself malfunctioning.

Specifically, what code(s) are you getting man?

shreker
10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
That's the only code I'm getting I changed:spark plugs,o2 sensor,boots on the coils,relay dme,relay fuel pump,tps,iacv=on it's way,checked all vaccum lines,cleaned out throttle,.....that's it I think....what else should I change??

Things that I think I should change:
cam positioning sensor
maf
fuel pressure regulator
d.m.e ecu

Anything else you guys can think of???let me know

madromas
10-15-2009, 09:25 PM
iacv=on it's way
If you mean ICV. Than do that first. Go from there.

shreker
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Update:there was a air line from the manifold that was disconnected!!!dammit!!!!so I put it back.....so that was my air leak!!so I connected it back and still has a hard problem starting..could that of caused my fpr to go out???would that make it take **** basically!it was a line that goes from the manifold to the fpr!!!

bimmerbarbie
10-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Uhhh... He DID start a new thread? Am I the only one that saw it, and replied? Guys, take this to HIS thread. Would make more sense to me, at least.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404992

And btw, why the eff did you not mention all that you'd changed already in the original post?

shreker
10-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Sorry......i didnt mention it...my bad!but in my last post...did you see what I wrote...I'm thinking of buying a fpr...but the ones online have no connection for a vaccum hose...cause the one on my manifold,has a connection for a vacumm line...I'm clueless right now about that!!!!help