PDA

View Full Version : I'm seriously considering going to a car wash.

Plaz
03-05-2005, 11:30 AM
My car is salt-encrusted, my garden hose is frozen, the lines at the self-serve wash bays are hours long, and I'm planning on a full detail with PC and swirl remover the first 50 + weekend anyway.

Alex Baumann
03-05-2005, 11:37 AM
it is http://www.wetter.com/v2/img/www/icons/wx/2/n_7_b.gif here :rolleyes:

jw
03-05-2005, 01:11 PM
I've broken down and gone to the auto wash a few times. Usually, it's rubber gloves, hot water in the bucket and a couple sweatshirts to keep me warm. Just make sure to wash it early in the day so the driveway doesn't turn into a sheet of ice following the rinse. ;)

welcome back to the right coast. :(

Plaz
03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I tried... my car wouldn't let me! :mad:

It was too low for the conveyor.

:bling: :eeps:

jw
03-05-2005, 02:45 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

At the touchless ones around here you can just drive into until the light turns red (that's when you're supposed to stop).

Patrick330i
03-05-2005, 03:49 PM
weather is over-rated, isn't it? :)

Dr. Phil
03-05-2005, 04:23 PM

:rofl:

I did the hydrospray thing today myself, got tired of the ash white X3 :eeps:

TeamM3
03-06-2005, 04:35 AM
take it to a hand wash place :dunno: costs more but you can afford it :p

PhilH
03-06-2005, 04:41 AM
I haven't washed mine in two weeks. So it's dirty...too bad.

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-06-2005, 04:54 AM
My 323 is filthy...

But it's white already so you can hardly tell. :angel:

Plaz
03-06-2005, 07:40 AM
What a wuss, Plaz. I washed all 3 cars today, inside and out. It's warmer down by you than up here. :tsk: :p

It didn't start freezing unti the very end. :eek:

It may have been warm out, but my hose was still frozen solid. (Garden hose, that is) :eeps:

I did a midnight run to a 24-hour self-serve wash bay when it was about 25. Today I do the interior and use some detail spray to clean up the spots from where last night's water froze on my subsequent high-speed air drying run.

What a PITA.

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-06-2005, 07:58 AM
It may have been warm out, but my hose was still frozen solid. (Garden hose, that is) :eeps:

I did a midnight run to a 24-hour self-serve wash bay when it was about 25. Today I do the interior and use some detail spray to clean up the spots from where last night's water froze on my subsequent high-speed air drying run.

What a PITA.
Have you considered storing the hose in your garage?

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Oh yeah, and fill your bucket with warm-hot water. Washing in the cold is really not bad at all when you do smart things like that. :thumbup:

Plaz
03-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Have you considered storing the hose in your garage?

That makes far too much sense for me to consider.

Plaz
03-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Oh yeah, and fill your bucket with warm-hot water. Washing in the cold is really not bad at all when you do smart things like that. :thumbup:

It would take like eight buckets of water, wouldn't it?

That's more of a PITA than a midnight run to a self-serve bay. :D

jw
03-06-2005, 08:35 AM
That makes far too much sense for me to consider.
I just turn the water off to the hose from the inside of the house. After the wash, I fully drain the hose. No more frozen hoses. :thumbup:

jw
03-06-2005, 08:37 AM
It would take like eight buckets of water, wouldn't it?

That's more of a PITA than a midnight run to a self-serve bay. :D
One bucket of hot water for the suds only. The rest is just a rinse with a hose.

Plaz
03-06-2005, 08:50 AM
I just turn the water off to the hose from the inside of the house. After the wash, I fully drain the hose. No more frozen hoses. :thumbup:

How do you fully drain it? I took off the nozzle, but enough water stayed in the hose to obstruct.

zcasavant
03-06-2005, 08:59 AM
...a midnight run to a self-serve bay. :D

That's what I do. Assuming it's warm enough, I go the the self wash on Market Street.
:thumbup:

jw
03-06-2005, 09:30 AM
How do you fully drain it? I took off the nozzle, but enough water stayed in the hose to obstruct.
Fully extend the hose down my driveway and let it drain for a few minutes. Then when I reel it up any remaining water shoots right out the end. (make sure you remove the nozzle for maximum flow).

Plaz
03-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Fully extend the hose down my driveway and let it drain for a few minutes. Then when I reel it up any remaining water shoots right out the end. (make sure you remove the nozzle for maximum flow).

Makes sense.

Unfortunately, my hose is too long for that.

(If I had a dollar for every time I've said that!) :rofl:

jw
03-06-2005, 09:44 AM
(If I had a dollar for every time I've said that!) :rofl:
:thumbup:

suzer
03-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I know this sounds crazy, but maybe you'll understand (my co-workers have completely written me off after I told them).

I hit the same oh-my-god-the-x-is-so-dirty-it-makes-my-skin-crawl wall that you described. The car wash was packed. I can't go through a car wash without wincing.

The hose was frozen.

So, I bought a new hose.

OK, it was a very expensive car wash, but I feel much better now.

I'm storing this one in the garage so I don't have a to buy a new one again. I'll use it this summer to reach the plants at the back, anyway.

Plaz
03-14-2005, 02:30 PM
I know this sounds crazy, but maybe you'll understand (my co-workers have completely written me off after I told them).

I hit the same oh-my-god-the-x-is-so-dirty-it-makes-my-skin-crawl wall that you described. The car wash was packed. I can't go through a car wash without wincing.

The hose was frozen.

So, I bought a new hose.

OK, it was a very expensive car wash, but I feel much better now.

I'm storing this one in the garage so I don't have a to buy a new one again. I'll use it this summer to reach the plants at the back, anyway.

The hose thawed out this weekend... and I did my best to fully drain it this time.

However, I've come to the conclusion that there is simply no way to avoid scratching the paint when hand washing a salt-encrusted car. My car has zero wax left on it, and it's been swirled worse than an 8th grade computer geek in a school boys room full of 10th grade cigarette-smoking hooligans. :(

jw
03-14-2005, 02:56 PM

The hose thawed out this weekend... and I did my best to fully drain it this time.

However, I've come to the conclusion that there is simply no way to avoid scratching the paint when hand washing a salt-encrusted car. My car has zero wax left on it, and it's been swirled worse than an 8th grade computer geek in a school boys room full of 10th grade cigarette-smoking hooligans. :(
:lmao: Nice analogy. Yep, the salt-encrusted car is practically impossible to wash swirl free.

RKT BMR
03-17-2005, 08:54 AM
:lmao: Nice analogy. Yep, the salt-encrusted car is practically impossible to wash swirl free.Is this because of the temperature dealie?

If you had a utility sink in your garage, with hose compatible faucet spout, would washing the car with warm/hot running water do the trick?

I'm just not completely believing that this stuff can't be removed without scratching the clearcoat with the right methods.

None of this is meant as criticism -- and I understand that the above speculation is not practical for many. Just trying to understand the problem completely.

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Is this because of the temperature dealie?

If you had a utility sink in your garage, with hose compatible faucet spout, would washing the car with warm/hot running water do the trick?

I'm just not completely believing that this stuff can't be removed without scratching the clearcoat with the right methods.

None of this is meant as criticism -- and I understand that the above speculation is not practical for many. Just trying to understand the problem completely.
I've found that sheepskin is WAY better than microfiber for this sort of wash. You need somethign that has a very irregular surface, or else you just grind the salt against the car.

...and I always fill my bucket inside with warm/hot water before doing the car. That helps too (if for no other reason than the fact that I don't feel a need to rush because I can't feel my fingers).

johnlew
03-17-2005, 09:02 AM
It will come off in a touchless wash without any swirling or scratching. Then you can do your personal wash without fear.

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
It will come off in a touchless wash without any swirling or scratching. Then you can do your personal wash without fear.
Hell, it shoudl come out when you hose the car down.

I'm kind of wondering if Plaz spent a good long time hosing the car in detail, or if he wet it down and then scrubbed.

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-17-2005, 09:17 AM
That hurts just thinking about it.
I can see a Cali guy doing that. :p

Plaz
03-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Hell, it shoudl come out when you hose the car down.

I'm kind of wondering if Plaz spent a good long time hosing the car in detail, or if he wet it down and then scrubbed.

I rinsed heavily all over first, then rinsed each section prior to attacking with my wash mitt.

I confess the water pressure at my house is a little weak, though... there wasn't a lot of force coming from the hose.

Also rinsed the wash mitts several times on each section.

There was just so much crap (salt and sand) adhered to the car that even with a perfectly clean mitt and well-wetted section of car, each stroke of the mitt would still drag whatever was stuck to the car along the surface for the duration of that swipe.

:dunno:

This time it was even worse than this, BTW:

http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-01.jpg http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-02.jpg http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-03.jpg

Plaz
03-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Several times? How about after each stroke, and keep the strokes short, extremely soapy, and with absolutely no pressure. :dunno:

Maybe it would still swirl. :dunno:

Why do I feel like I'm being called on the carpet here? :rofl:

I'd rinse after every other stroke... flipping the mitt after each stroke.

Strokes were no longer than the length of a door or quarter-panel.

Was as soapy/sudsy as P21S car shampoo allows... (not all THAT sudsy, but adequate)

VERY light pressure.

I really think some swirling is unavoidable when cleaning a salt-encrusted car whose wax has already gone away from previous salt encrustments. Unless using a pressure washer, I guess.

Plaz
03-17-2005, 09:32 AM

The only touchless wash I've been able to find in NJ is about 45 minutes away, and it strips wax, rashes wheels, and stains chrome. :(

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Why do I feel like I'm being called on the carpet here? :rofl:

I'd rinse after every other stroke... flipping the mitt after each stroke.

Strokes were no longer than the length of a door or quarter-panel.

Was as soapy/sudsy as P21S car shampoo allows... (not all THAT sudsy, but adequate)

VERY light pressure.

I really think some swirling is unavoidable when cleaning a salt-encrusted car whose wax has already gone away from previous salt encrustments. Unless using a pressure washer, I guess.
Were you using the recommended amount of soap? I like to buy the gigantic jugs of Mothers, and then I use 10 or 20 times the concentration they recommend.

Plaz
03-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Were you using the recommended amount of soap? I like to buy the gigantic jugs of Mothers, and then I use 10 or 20 times the concentration they recommend.

They say a capful... I used probably a juice glass full, otherwise it just creates a "head" on the bucket that lasts for only one washmitt load.

johnlew
03-17-2005, 09:44 AM
The only touchless wash I've been able to find in NJ is about 45 minutes away, and it strips wax, rashes wheels, and stains chrome. :(

strip wax, yes
rash wheels, how's your aim?
stain chrome, well, aluminum, not chrome. Can be restored with chrome/metal polish.

Can't help you on the 45 min. drive.

Big deal about the swirls anyway, you'll polish it out in the spring.

You could always try Hack's solution. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=160450&postcount=3)

Plaz
03-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Big deal about the swirls anyway, you'll polish it out in the spring.

Exactly.