PDA

View Full Version : Ashtray

jliu34740
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Has anyone figured out what you can use the ashtray for on X3 as a non-smoker? I mean the space in ashtray has an odd shape: what are those 2 plastic slots and a hole for? I can't seem to fit anything other than some loose coins in there. Can you remove the ashtray so I can use it as a cellphone holder instead? Just wondering...

Paul in SF
03-07-2005, 02:24 PM
I've been using the ashtray for loose change. Not the greatest but better than hearing the change rolling around the center console.

D.D.
03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
This is the worst ash tray for any type of conversion. The angle of the opening really does not lend itself to a coin holder. This is our first vehicle that we cannot convert the ash tray to a coin holder. My wife loves the X 3...the ash tray is our only disappointment! And we can live with that! If anyone comes up with an alternative use...I would be very anxious to hear about it. :thumbup:

keep off median
03-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I ordered a replacement for the ashtray insert. I have the bag still, it's labeled "oddmnts tra" and I think the part number is 51 16 3 402 638 from your local dealer. It only slightly better than the original ashtray. It doesn't have those built in "cigarette holders." I think it was around $10.

Paul in SF
03-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Could you post a picture of it? Is it just an open tray?

jliu34740
03-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah I am interested seeing a pic as well. Does it just swap out the original tray? Is it a square openning?

x3man
03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I ordered a replacement for the ashtray insert. I have the bag still, it's labeled "oddmnts tra"

Odd Mints Tray?? :)

Seriously, would love to see a coin holder tray especially to hold quarters for the parking meters.

harplayr
03-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Has anyone figured out what you can use the ashtray for on X3 as a non-smoker? I mean the space in ashtray has an odd shape: what are those 2 plastic slots and a hole for? I can't seem to fit anything other than some loose coins in there. Can you remove the ashtray so I can use it as a cellphone holder instead? Just wondering...I have seen the AUX input for the stereo put there. It is a good location as you have access to power for your Ipod or other device.

weinschela
03-08-2005, 09:11 AM
The remote display for a Valentine 1 fits perfectly in the ash tray. That's where mine is going as soon as I get my car (its on a boat)

keep off median
03-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Could you post a picture of it? Is it just an open tray?

as requested...

jliu34740
03-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the pic. I think I can fit my cellphone in there.

Are you pretty sure about the $10 price? I googled this P/N and it shows $49.95. I will check with my dealer in the moring.

iChick
03-09-2005, 07:15 AM
I want one. Where do you get that?as requested...

jliu34740
03-09-2005, 01:24 PM
OK so I called my local dealer. They can order it. $15.50 + Tax. 3 day delivery. A bit pricey for just a plastic holder.

keep off median
03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
"...I think I can fit my cellphone in there."

It would have to be an extremely small cell phone. My motorola v60 doesn't fit.

fill007
03-10-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm contemplating if I should spend $17 bucks for a change holder. The X3 does need more storage space, my GF complains that there is no space for storage compared to my old Accord.

dherzfeld
03-11-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm contemplating if I should spend $17 bucks for a change holder. The X3 does need more storage space, my GF complains that there is no space for storage compared to my old Accord.
I think Honda and BMW are on opposite ends of the storage spectrum. Our Odyssey has storage areas and cubbies throughout the interior.

newdad
03-11-2005, 07:24 AM
"...I think I can fit my cellphone in there."

It would have to be an extremely small cell phone. My motorola v60 doesn't fit.

bigger than a deck of cards? i have a motorola v265, it's small but the attenna sticks out

keep off median
03-11-2005, 07:34 AM
bigger than a deck of cards? i have a motorola v265, it's small but the attenna sticks out
v265 will not fit.

that baby walking yet? ours turns 1 on April 19th and hasn't started walking on her own yet. She does love the X3 and can't wait until her bday when we turn the Britax around and give her a forward facing view!

stevenw66
03-11-2005, 08:52 AM
v265 will not fit.

that baby walking yet? ours turns 1 on April 19th and hasn't started walking on her own yet. She does love the X3 and can't wait until her bday when we turn the Britax around and give her a forward facing view!

My grandson just turned 1 and not walking either. Don't be so anxious for them to walk, then all hell breaks out! Only thing worse is when they start talking and first word is always NO!

Interesting that you can get rid of ash tray. Considering just to get rid of the smoking concept all together :rofl:

newdad
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
v265 will not fit.
you're right, i yanked out the ashtray and it wouldn't close.

not yet, he'll turn 1 next week. he just started trying to stand unassisted. he's still cool with rear-facing so we're not turning him around yet.

Only thing worse is when they start talking and first word is always NO!
:rofl: :rofl: that is so gonna happen.

ERdoc
03-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks to you guys, I suggested that the dealer throw in the non-smoker's ashtray replacement for free when I went to pick up the car and they agreed to do so. The only downside I noticed however is that the non-smoker tray doesn't appear to have the little clear cut-out in for the ashtray light. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to drill a hole it it though I'm not sure how pretty that would look...

lilskel
08-22-2005, 10:07 AM
This car sucks for center console storage...rediculous ashtray, dumb cup holder in the middle of everything, weird armrest compartment, no place for phone, pen, sunglasses, coins, etc.

Rob V
08-22-2005, 11:49 AM
As rediculous as the cup holder is I was able to put an industrial size large coke from the movie theater in there with no problems. As long as the bottom is small enough it's all good. But overall I agree that storage compartments are terrible in the X3. My Freelander has so many compartments that I can't fill them all.

lilskel
08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Well I just think 1 single cupholder is ugly, it should be two and it should be hidden so only comes out when you want it..the car was fine in Europe for delivery but I was just imagining how not useful the car will be for day to day storage when I get it back here

Godot
08-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I find I can either have my coffee in the morning or have my cellphone nearby. I mean even my Acura EL has a two COVERED cupholders, plus a change compartment, and a spot just for cellphone behind the shifter.

I guess getting one of those cellphone holder thingy's is probably the only solution. . . .

mguhler
08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
1. It's great my son is walking!!! 18 months and Ross won't go in the stroller anymore, just wants to hold hands an walk down the street. Less crap to lug around.
2. What about the compartment up on top of the dash for those without nav? Not enough between that, armrest, doorpockets and net on passenger side? I actually look for things to fill the voids.

I like the ashtray for change. And my cup holder handles my Nokia just fine if I don't have a coffee.

I've said it before, to each his own... :thumbup:

canadianbattery
08-23-2005, 11:24 AM
I took away the holder and put the garage door remote there. This way I dont need to clip the remote on the visor.

farleywilbur
08-24-2005, 04:42 AM
If you want a good change holder buy a tin of altoid mints, eat the mints and then keep your change in there in the center armrest tray.

I keep a cloth for cleaning my sunglasses in the ashtray.

ChiefCrazyTalk
08-24-2005, 08:27 AM
If you want a good change holder buy a tin of altoid mints, eat the mints and then keep your change in there in the center armrest tray.

I keep a cloth for cleaning my sunglasses in the ashtray.
A good suggestion - but too bad a $40,000 car lacks the functionality of a tin of mints!

That said, BMWs have always been about performance and handling, not cup holders and coin boxes. Their attitude was, you want 12 cup holders, get a minivan. BMWs philosphy in the past has always been to build a "drivers car", not a rolling entertainment center/living room. No place to leave your cell phone? You should be driving, not yaking on the phone! (BMWs philosophy, not mine - but I can see their point)

Rob V
08-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Another option that I found works pretty well is the bottom of the guage cluster. You've all probably noticed by now but it's made of a faily "grippy" rubber. My cellphone is thin enough that I can lay it on the flat part and the most it obstructs is the bottom part of the Fuel and Temp guage needles. Another bonus to this is that the clear plastic cover of the guages reflects any light from the cell phone and it's easy to see when somene is calling even with the ringer off.

x3ronnie
08-24-2005, 12:22 PM
That said, BMWs have always been about performance and handling, not cup holders and coin boxes. Their attitude was, you want 12 cup holders, get a minivan. BMWs philosphy in the past has always been to build a "drivers car", not a rolling entertainment center/living room. No place to leave your cell phone? You should be driving, not yaking on the phone! (BMWs philosophy, not mine - but I can see their point)

Well said! Hang up and drive. BMW is a driver's car, not a drinking, eating, on the phone or laptop, taking notes, and lastly driving with your knees car.

lilskel
08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I think I noticed that the X3 was hard to drive with my knees...what about us people who need to work

B r i a n
08-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Best use I have found is using the orignial cigarette holder and putting coins in a 35 MM film case with cover - fits perfectly! :p
The cap fits in the ridges great - no rattling - I actuall took out the none ash tray holder.

JG
08-24-2005, 07:11 PM
I took away the holder and put the garage door remote there. This way I dont need to clip the remote on the visor.

I did the same thing - fits the garage remote perfectly.

I also put the 407 transponder in the DVD storage unit on the dash. It works fine with the lid open - no need to gum up the area behind the mirror with the transponder.

lilskel
08-24-2005, 11:05 PM
If it can fit my garage opener if I take the metal clip off and it fits there sitting there and not moving so I can just flip open the cover and press the button then that will be good..however coming home tonight I reminded myself how stupid it is that the X3 doesn't have homelink, that is going to bug me

Rick480
08-25-2005, 08:45 AM
1. You can get a 3 button homelink mirror, which I did and love. It simply plugs in where the existing mirror was, and works immediately.

2. I did notice that the Cigarette snuffer, which takes up about a third of the ashtray, pops out. Mkes the ashtray a little more useful as a small change compartment.

lilskel
08-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah and how much is the homelink mirror $250!?! What model cars does the homelink mirror come on maybe I could find a wrecked one

ChiefCrazyTalk
08-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah and how much is the homelink mirror $250!?! What model cars does the homelink mirror come on maybe I could find a wrecked one
I don't get it - what's the big deal about having the garage door opener clipped to your visor? It's really not in the way, and is in fact in a convenient location to press when you want to open your garage door. Seems a lot more convenient then, for example, reaching down into your ashtray.

canadianbattery
08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't get it - what's the big deal about having the garage door opener clipped to your visor? It's really not in the way, and is in fact in a convenient location to press when you want to open your garage door. Seems a lot more convenient then, for example, reaching down into your ashtray.

Mmm.. I kind of like hiding up all stuffs that are not originally with my car. This make me feel neat and good.
And also, the clipped garage opener reminds everyone my car has no homelink, this is pretty cheap for a expensive car without prewired opener.

Godot
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Mmm.. I kind of like hiding up all stuffs that are not originally with my car. This make me feel neat and good.
And also, the clipped garage opener reminds everyone my car has no homelink, this is pretty cheap for a expensive car without prewired opener.

But considering I lease most of my vehicles I don't bother with adding on stuff to them cause after the lease. . . I could take the items out, but then I would have a box of stuff then may or may not be useful in the next vehicle.

My clipped opener is on the passenger side mirror. . .upside down, so all you see is the metal clip and that's it. . . . Also serves as a great sunglass holder (the metal clip that is).

I recall someone stating that BMW was a driver's car and not a eat, talk on the cellphone etc car. . . . then why would they sell a heater/cooler that can be installed in the cargo area of the vehicle? Or would they have a bluetooth/hands free phone as an option? Or optional DVD equipment etc. . .

ChiefCrazyTalk
08-30-2005, 05:49 AM
then why would they sell a heater/cooler that can be installed in the cargo area of the vehicle? Or would they have a bluetooth/hands free phone as an option? Or optional DVD equipment etc. . .
Because they can make money, of course! That's why car makers like BMW and porche are starting to "give in" on offerering things like cup holders - they are reacting to that segment of the market that cares about these things in order to stay competitive.

x3ronnie
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I recall someone stating that BMW was a driver's car and not a eat, talk on the cellphone etc car. . . . then why would they sell a heater/cooler that can be installed in the cargo area of the vehicle? Or would they have a bluetooth/hands free phone as an option? Or optional DVD equipment etc. . .[/QUOTE]

What is this heater/cooler for the cargo area that you speak of? Do you mean for food and drink? How can that possibly distract the driver? As Chief Crazy Talk said, give the people whgat they want. BMW caters to a lot of business people. These are the people who often conduct business in their cars, while driving. I just think that people should drive with 2 hands on the wheel, and focus on the road conditions. I am in the minority, as I try to dodge everyone else.

bettnugs
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I too opted for the 'oddments' insert in place of the ashtray. I love it! Too small for a cell phone, but good for a small mint tin, and it looks much better than the skanky ashtray.

Another poster mentioned that they put their cell phone on the small ledge near the speedometer. That is now my cell phone's new home. LOVE IT!!! :thumbup:

arcticdog
07-21-2008, 10:17 AM
The remote display for a Valentine 1 fits perfectly in the ash tray. That's where mine is going as soon as I get my car (its on a boat)

I was thinking the same thing too ;).
I'd be interested in seeing how you get the remote wiring there. The center console seems like a b*tch to take apart...

arcticdog
07-21-2008, 10:23 AM
what are those 2 plastic slots and a hole for? ...

On a recent road trip to Canada, my co-driver actually managed to sort some Canadian coins for tolls by arranging the coins VERTICALLY in between those slots! :D

Evlengr
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing too ;).
I'd be interested in seeing how you get the remote wiring there. The center console seems like a b*tch to take apart...

The center console couldn't be any easier. If you simply pull down on the vents right above the H/U it pops right off, and then its a matter of a couple of screws.

UncleJ
07-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Rick, thanks for the tip about popping out the "snuffer" it does make the tray more useful for us non smokers.