PDA

View Full Version : X3 - Anti-theft

JG
03-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I just ordered a new X3 3.0 (ask me what a difference it was to drive this beauty compared to my current 1999 Ford 'Exploder').

I also have a now vintage RX7 Turbo, and this 3.0 engine winds up like a rotary and handles almost as well. The only other vehicle I owned that came close to the handling was a Fiat 128 back in the 70's (don't ask). Very impressive BMW.

Back to topic - I was making arrangements with my insurer to switch over my policy to the X3.

They asked what security devices were installed:

Alarm
Cell tracking
GPS tracking
Etching

I assumed none of the above since I couldn't see anything on the features list.

They indicated without any of these options, my insurance rates would be greatly affected.

I am in the Toronto area. Am I missing something? Are there any security devices built into stock X3's.

b-y
03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
They asked what security devices were installed:

Alarm
Cell tracking
GPS tracking
Etching

I assumed none of the above since I couldn't see anything on the features list.
The following answer applies to USA-bound vehicles, but it should give you a guide to ask the right questions:

Alarm - All US X3s have "alarm pre-wiring." A USD 250-300 kit (plus 1 hr installation) completes this with a tilt sensor under the cargo deck, a motion sensor in the pano. roof control area, and a horn in the engine compartment. The system is the integrated into the remote locking system.

Tracking - All MY 2005 US X3s with Premium Pkg or separate BMW Assist can be tracked when reported stolen. The BMW Assist system is cellular-based. The vehicles with Nav report the exact location from the GPS to the BMW Assist operator. (In other words, the vehicle receives GPS signals and reports out on the cell network, not on a satellite network like OnStar.) I do not know if there is a GPS receiver with the same fuinctionality in the non-Nav systems.

Etching - available from the dealer.

mysticbluex3
03-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Has anyone tried setting off the motion sensor alarm? I tried setting it off but it didn't work. I had the windows lowered and alarm on and waved my arm inside the car a bit and nothing!

iChick
03-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I think they meant a different type of motion....

. I had the windows lowered and alarm on and waved my arm inside the car a bit and nothing!

sfca-325i
03-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Has anyone tried setting off the motion sensor alarm? I tried setting it off but it didn't work. I had the windows lowered and alarm on and waved my arm inside the car a bit and nothing!

IIRC, it takes a few minutes for the motion sensor to arm. Try it again but wait a few minutes. Then take a large object, like an empty paper grocery bag, and wave the bag in the car interior. It it doesn't trigger the alarm, have the dealer check the activation. They may have installed the motion sensor but not activated it (it happens).