PDA

View Full Version : Recommended low maintenance for Jet Black

PDX M Coupe
03-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Could you please recommend a wax/synthetic that would work nicely for jet black and provide little maintenance?? I have had good luck with Zaino on other vehicles, but I do not think that I have much time for Zaino now that I am a grad student...

thanks!
-bryon

TOGWT
03-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Two contradictions in terms: :dunno:

1.A 'low maintenance' black paint finish
2.A ‘deep wet look’ on a light coloured paint

Zanio and a LSP Carnauba wax is your best bet
JonM

F1Crazy
03-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Try Klasse All-In-One and if you have time follow up with Klasse Sealant Glaze or just a coat of P21S carnauba.

jvr826
03-10-2005, 09:18 PM
I think the key is good preparation of the finish before applying whatever you choose. Wash, clay, pre-clean. I'm a fan of Klasse and P21S as F1Crazy recommended. Klasse alone will last a pretty long time, but doing a quick and easy application of P21S every couple of months will keep it looking good and protected.

I must agree with TOGWT though, a black finish and low maintenance do not belong in the same sentence. I owned a black car, once. :)

F1Crazy
03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I owned a black car, once. :)
So any word on the steel blue one? ;)

PDX M Coupe
03-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Two contradictions in terms: :dunno:

1.A 'low maintenance' black paint finish
2.A ‘deep wet look’ on a light coloured paint

Zanio and a LSP Carnauba wax is your best bet
JonM
LOL
I think you know what I meant....compared to any other color, black is far from low maintenance...I just want something I can put 4 hours in on, step away, and not have to apply anything else for 6 months or so.

I am going to check out the Klasse stuff to see if that might be a better bet for me. Zaino has worked for me in the past, but even with ZFX, it just takes a really long time.

-b

Test_Engineer
03-11-2005, 07:02 AM
LOL
I think you know what I meant....compared to any other color, black is far from low maintenance...I just want something I can put 4 hours in on, step away, and not have to apply anything else for 6 months or so.
-b
I had a similar feeling about my wifes car which is a dark metallic green. She didn't really care how much time I put into it, because the car is really not worth all that much. So, I only clayed, Klasse All-in-one, and only one coat of Klasse SG! The car looks fantastic and I think it washes up better than my car that has over 14 hours of work into it. If you really don't have the time, I would fully recomend Just using Klasse AIO, and if you find you have a bit more time, top it off with a coat or 2 of the Klasse Super Glaze. :thumbup:

F1Crazy
03-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Zaino only takes a long time if you put multiple coats. Let's see, mix Z2 with ZFX - 3 minutes, apply to a car - 15 minutes, let dry - another 15 minutes on a warm day, remove - 10 minutes. The whole car can be done in 1 hour, most of other waxes will take the same time. Klasse SG will take longer to apply and longer to remove, you will be disappointed with application, AIO is as easy as Zaino, with P21S you will cut the time at least in half.

PDX M Coupe
03-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Zaino only takes a long time if you put multiple coats. Let's see, mix Z2 with ZFX - 3 minutes, apply to a car - 15 minutes, let dry - another 15 minutes on a warm day, remove - 10 minutes. The whole car can be done in 1 hour, most of other waxes will take the same time. Klasse SG will take longer to apply and longer to remove, you will be disappointed with application, AIO is as easy as Zaino, with P21S you will cut the time at least in half.

With a black car it is unrealistic to think that one coat of zaino is going to be enough, especially with jet black. My last non-metallic black car took three coats before I was able to tell a big difference...

PDX M Coupe
03-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I had a similar feeling about my wifes car which is a dark metallic green. She didn't really care how much time I put into it, because the car is really not worth all that much. So, I only clayed, Klasse All-in-one, and only one coat of Klasse SG! The car looks fantastic and I think it washes up better than my car that has over 14 hours of work into it. If you really don't have the time, I would fully recomend Just using Klasse AIO, and if you find you have a bit more time, top it off with a coat or 2 of the Klasse Super Glaze. :thumbup:

Thanks! This seems to be a pretty popular approach. Any idea where I can buy klasse products for a decent price?

F1Crazy
03-12-2005, 10:48 AM
With a black car it is unrealistic to think that one coat of zaino is going to be enough, especially with jet black. My last non-metallic black car took three coats before I was able to tell a big difference...
I don't think I understand what you mean by saying that you were able to tell a difference only after 3 coats, it's only wax after all. Prepare the paint first and then any wax will look good after 1 coat. If you don't wanna spend time polishing the car then Klasse AIO is your best bet. Try properautocare.com for Klasse.

Browsing through properautocare.com I've found this interesting new product: http://www.properautocare.com/mefitogl.html. If you read the notes you'll find what they did to save time on paint care.

PDX M Coupe
03-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the link F1crazy. I will definitely look into that!

With Zaino, it just keeps looking better and better the more coats you actually apply. After about 9 coats (3 sessions, 3 coats per session, the first session after a very lengthy paint prep) the car look fantastic...the paint looked much nicer than new. After only one or two coats, you really could not tell a huge appreciable difference.
Zaino is not a wax, rather it is a synthetic polymer...for some reason, as I have experience, better results come with successive coats, not just a good prep. My car was just professionally cut and buffed, so it should really be ready as is! That should make it easy for me...

PDX M Coupe
03-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the link F1crazy. I will definitely look into that!

With Zaino, it just keeps looking better and better the more coats you actually apply. After about 9 coats (3 sessions, 3 coats per session, the first session after a very lengthy paint prep) the car look fantastic...the paint looked much nicer than new. After only one or two coats, you really could not tell a huge appreciable difference.
Zaino is not a wax, rather it is a synthetic polymer...for some reason, as I have experience, better results come with successive coats, not just a good prep. My car was just professionally cut and buffed, so it should really be ready as is! That should make it easy for me...

I forgot to mention that this was with a different car...this was before med school when I actually had time!

F1Crazy
03-13-2005, 12:28 AM
I've done both, Klasse and Zaino and since I usually polish my car before application it looks good and it's hard to tell a difference. I agree that Zaino just keeps looking better and better with more coats but it looks darn good with just one. I think Zaino is more durable than Klasse, it certainly looks better longer and it's easier to renew it with their Z7 wash and Z6 QD.
Here's a pic of my car with 3 coats of Klasse Sg and P21S carnauba:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/data/500/3042p1010010m.jpg

FenPhen
03-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Here's a pic of my car with 3 coats of Klasse Sg and P21S carnauba:That is a really nice picture. :thumbup:

Test_Engineer
03-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks! This seems to be a pretty popular approach. Any idea where I can buy klasse products for a decent price?

I get all my detailing products from Autopia (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/) .

One thing I forgot to mention was that I had used Einszett 1Z Paint Polish in-between clay and AIO. This was only because my cars had not been cared for properly in the past and wanted to insure the paint was clean. If your paint is still in pretty good condition, I would think the AIO should take care of it.