PDA

View Full Version : First scratch!

Pterous
03-12-2005, 10:28 PM
My new bimmer just got scratched for the first time. :cry: Actually it is not really a scratch, but hopefully something that is a little easier to fix. This is what happened: We parked in a store parking lot at Home Depot. As usually we parked all the way in the back without any cars near us, so I felt pretty safe. But guess what? When we came back from a store there was a shopping car right next to the car. It was an heavy, steel, orange-painted cart used by Home Depot for heavy duty large purchases - and it hit my car... I think some dumbass pushed it in a direction of our car, because there was nobody else parked around me and there is no way a wind could have moved this heavy cart.
Anyway what I have now is an orange streak (from Home Depot's orange cart) about 2 inches long and 1/8 inches wide. There is no dent and it appears there is no damage to my car's paint other then this orange line. I tried to rub it off with my finger nail but it appears to have bonded pretty well. Is there anything I can do myself or should I take it to a detailing shop? I can post pictures if they will be of any use. Thanks for your help.

xspeedy
03-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Just get your self some paint cleaner. Meguiars has some products available at local auto parts stores. Try the Deep Crystal cleaner.

You can even try some household products such as:

WD-40
Charcoal lighter fluid
Bug & Tar Remover

Alex Baumann
03-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Meguiar's Scratch-X, it works quite good, not heavy abbrasive. Use it with a foam pad. Apply it in one direction (i.e. back and forth) and not in circles.

Seal/Wax it after the repair.

FenPhen
03-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Another option might be clay?

If it's just on the surface, clay manages to get out a lot of stuff.

Pterous
03-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys! Will try Meguiar's Scratch-X and/or clay.