PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hate the sound of the power steering?

MJTSUB
03-13-2005, 08:06 PM
My one complaint about the car is how loud the power steering is on the car. At speeds of 1-20 mph you can hear the power steering so loud. My 3-series doesnt do it at all. Every X3 I hear does it.

Woody
03-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes, me too! :thumbdwn:

jliu34740
03-14-2005, 02:32 PM
My one complaint about the car is how loud the power steering is on the car. At speeds of 1-20 mph you can hear the power steering so loud. My 3-series doesnt do it at all. Every X3 I hear does it.

Humm, are you sure? I don't hear anything unusual. What does it sound like?

iChick
03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Humm, are you sure? I don't hear anything unusual. What does it sound like?

I don't hear anything either. Hmm, maybe we need to turn down down the tunes.... :dunno:

MJTSUB
03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
its the same sound you hear when you turn your wheel to full lock to either side and then try turning the wheel even further. You hear the power steering strain. Its a whinning noise. Turn off your stereo and climate control roll down your windows and drive around in second gear at speed below 20mph and listen when you turn the steering wheel. Especially hard turns. Every X3 Ive heard does it.

xdrive
12-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Actually I am hearing some whining sound when turning the steering wheel (left or right) at low speed (it is like the sound of an electric motor). Is it normal? Is this the sound of the power steering that you referred to in your earlier post?

One more question: Does the servotronic steering system has an electric motor pump to help transport the power steering fluid?

X3 of Miami
12-13-2005, 08:20 PM
your right that soudn is annoying .. The first day i tookt he car from the dealership i asked the salesman, is there a problem with the breaks or the mufflers? he told me thats just how it is, i thought it was akward. Its also kind of embarasing cause when your pulling in and kinda wanna show your car off discreatly, and you hear those wierd noises it sounds like brake problems.. heh.. W.E gotta get used to it.. BTW i upgraded my fogs to HOEN's and they look Great.. im waiting on new headlight bulbs from Hoen. I purchased the XenRange . i tired the Sylvania Silverstars and didnt maek a difference..

xdrive
12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Do all X3s have this power steering noise? I've not heard this noise in the e46/e90 3 series or the e60 5 series. Could this be a design flaw for the X3?