PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Shopping List

bjsbuds
03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
I am planning a detailing date with my Jet Black 2004 330Cic this upcoming Good Friday, weather permitting. When I picked up the car five months ago, I thought the finish was dull with swirl marks, and even had two stone chips in the hood. The salesman claimed it had a clearcoat sealant on it, and I wouldn’t need to wax the car for several months. But, since I was unhappy with the shine, I have waxed the car twice with Meguiar’s NXT.

The car has only been driven a few times this winter, and now has 2,000 miles on it. I made the mistake during its first wash of using a chamois on the black soft top, which left fibers all over it. Based upon advice from fellow forum members, I purchased some good quality MF towels from Autopia, which appropriately removed the fibers after several washings.

I have read several posts under this forum and am now ready to try to improve the looks of my new car. I am looking for a shopping list in sequence order of the steps. Here are a few questions:
- What’s the best brand of car wash?
- I guess Clay Magic is the preference.
- What other pre-wax / cleaners should I use?
- Biggest question – Should I purchase and use a Porter Cable 7424 Orbital Polisher? Really nervous about this.
- Carnauba wax or Synthetic wax, or combination (carnauba over synthetic)?
- Once that is decided, which brand?
- If the recommendation is Synthetic, then should it be Klasse AIO or SG, or something else?

Looking for that deep rich black shine. Thanks for your suggestions!

MPossible
03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
hey guys i am in the same boat... i think im goin to start with klasse aio and then sg x 3 and then carnauba (p21s) and do you think i also need clay :dunno: even tho my car is only a week old? thanks guys and i too was wondering if i should opt for the pc even tho i have an orbital.. thanks guys

F1Crazy
03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
My recommendation is based only on my personal experience with the products and my main priority is ease of use.

Car wash:
Meguiar's NXT or Gold Class, both found at local retailers in big bottles.
Also get 5 gallon bucket, usually found at paint counters in places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot. Use only cotton or sheepskin mitts.

Clay bar:
Clay Magic kit - $10 at Auto Zone.

Polish:
Einszett Paint Polish (green bottle) - it will take care of swirls and minor scratches and is very user friendly. If Autopia doesn't carry it then check 1Z-usa.com for retailers.

Wax:
Klasse AIO, P21S. I want to mention that these are not my favorite waxes but are perfect in your situation. AIO can be used with PC and will help remove and hide minor imperfection and provide durability. P21S is best applied by hand but it is so easy that you won't mind doing it every 3-4 months. P21S will increase depth of your dark finish, put it on top of AIO, skip SG.

Interior:
Einszett Plastik Reiniger (cleaner), Einszett Tiefenpfleger (vinyl and rubber protectant), Einszett Lederpflege (leather cleaner and conditioner), Einszett Cockpit Premium (for weekly cleaning), Einszett Gummipflege (for rubber seals)

Porter Cable orbital:
Get the Kit from Autopia: Sonüs DAS Polisher Kit (http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/son-daspol-kit.html) or get PC from Coastal Tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+lctq3858fff063f0+1110874615) and get green and orange pad from Autopia.

bjsbuds
03-14-2005, 07:27 PM
F1Crazy, Thanks for your response. Do you personally use a Porter Cable? Since my car in realitively new, do I need one at this time?

MPossible
03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
thanks also f1... but why would you skip klasse sg... i thought that this is what brought out a true depth of the aio... thanks

F1Crazy
03-14-2005, 07:32 PM
F1Crazy, Thanks for your response. Do you personally use a Porter Cable? Since my car in realitively new, do I need one at this time?

Yes I do, if your car has swirls already it's a good time to take care of them properly, get the machine, you won't regret it.

F1Crazy
03-14-2005, 07:42 PM
thanks also f1... but why would you skip klasse sg... i thought that this is what brought out a true depth of the aio... thanks
The truth is that paint preparation is what gives your finish shine and depth, not the wax you use. If you want durability then by all means go for SG but remember that by using P21S on top or any other carnauba wax, especially liquid one, you compromise SG's longevity. I don't find SG all that easy to use and to really see its benefits I feel you need to apply at least 3 coats, that means 3 days messing with it, not for me.

I've used AIO topped with P21S previously on my wife's car, recently on Prop's wife's 330i and on my car. My car still hasn't been done after winter, I just did one coat of P21S few weeks ago and after wash it still looks good.

MPossible
03-14-2005, 07:59 PM
thanks f1 for your info... im ordering some stuff rite now on properautocare

bjsbuds
03-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks F1, placed orders this morning whew! Now the wait for products to arrive.

bjsbuds
03-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Wax:
Klasse AIO, P21S. I want to mention that these are not my favorite waxes but are perfect in your situation.

F1, does that mean your favorite wax is Zanio? If so, why didn't you recommended in my situation?

F1Crazy
03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
F1, does that mean your favorite wax is Zanio? If so, why didn't you recommended in my situation?
Yes, indeed my favorite is Zaino but some people say it lacks depth on dark colors. I can't comment on that since I've never used it on black. I understand that you're quite new to detailing so I picked products that are very easy to use. The thing with Zaino is that it amplifies imperfections so the paint has to be prepared very well, with all the swirls removed. AIO and P21S carnauba will help to hide these imperfections in the case that you won't be able to remove them completely. Another thing is that I feel Zaino looks its best with several coats and I'm not sure you're ready to spend several days layering wax.

AIO is great to have even if later on you decide that you wanna try Zaino. It works great on wheels!

RaceTripper
04-03-2005, 11:05 AM
My Carbon Black M3 is on the way...

I'm about to order a PC 7424 from Coastal, which will include:
5" Counter-Weight
6" Foam Polishing Pad<small> #54745</small>
6" Hook & Loop Contour Pad<small> #18002</small>
6" Counterweight

On top of that, I'll order the Sonus DAS Polisher Kit.

Is that all I need to get started?

As for the cleaners, polishers, etc. I have Zymol products I've used previously by hand on my 530i:
Zymol Clear (for washing)
Zymol HD Cleanse (for cleaning/polishing)
Zymol Carbon (37% Carnuba Wax)
Will the Zymol products work correctly with a PC, or should I use something else? I do like the deep luster I get with the Zymol Carbon wax.

I am missing anything else to get started?

Thanks...

Dean

jimwh
04-08-2005, 07:22 PM
- What’s the best brand of car wash?
- I guess Clay Magic is the preference.
- What other pre-wax / cleaners should I use?
- Biggest question – Should I purchase and use a Porter Cable 7424 Orbital Polisher? Really nervous about this.
- Carnauba wax or Synthetic wax, or combination (carnauba over synthetic)?
- Once that is decided, which brand?
- If the recommendation is Synthetic, then should it be Klasse AIO or SG, or something else?
1. - Meg's Gold Class. About $10 for 1 gal at Target. Also Eimann Fabrik Power Wash+ from CMA (http://www.properautocare.com/pw-32.html) About $10 for 32 oz. This is a top notch shampoo.
2. - You can also look for Mothers which may be easier to find locally.
3. - If you go with Klasse, the AIO will strip old wax, etc. The clay will also do this.
4. - A PC is a wonderful tool. There are several threads on its use at Autopia (http://www.autopia.org). Do a search on PC or 7424.
5, 6, & 7. - I love the Klasse twins (AIO & SG). Zaino can also be a great choice, but I personally feel that there is a bit more effort reqired. Not everyone will agree with this, though.

icemanjs4
04-09-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm a Zaino fan for sure. Granted I have a SilverGray car - not black. But it was incredibly easy to apply. Of course I ended up doing 3 coats over 2 weekends, but only becuase I'm a little obsessive and it's a new car. I think you can't go wrong using either the Klasse or the Zaino products. The only thing I've heard is that applying the SG can be tricky. Zaino is always easy on, easy off.

Also, get yourself some large waffle-weave micro-fiber towels if you don't already have them. That's by far my favorite towel as you can dry your car spot free with it.

Also since I went with the Zaino products, I went with their clay bar as well. It seemed to do a pretty good job.