PDA

View Full Version : Is this a decent deal for a 2004 3.0 X3 for $32,995?

DeanQ
03-14-2005, 09:42 PM
The local BMW dealership has a 2004 BMW 3.0 X3 for $32,995

It is a CPO and the vehicle has 7000 miles. It was a demo owned by the dealership.

I was shocked at the price when I ran the same specs on autotrader and everything came up for $36,XXX+ without a CPO. I'm on the fence on buying the X3 for my wife. Can't decide between the black or silver.

I found a silver with the same options but with 11,000 miles, owned by the dealer as well for only $31,995 but no CPO. I assume its worth the extra $1000 to get the black CPO X3.

Options:
External Color: Black Sapphire Metallic
Interior Color: Beige Leather
Transmission: Automatic

Installed Options:
Automatic Transmission
Wood Trim
BMW Assist
Buffer
Premium Package
Privacy Glass
Sunroof
power seats
fogs

b-y
03-14-2005, 09:58 PM
:dunno: Here is how I would approach your question. A new MY2005 X3 3.0 with PP has all of the options you list except the met. paint and the privacy glass. (The steptronic is a free option on the 3.0 for 05. I don't know what you mean by "buffer".) Everything else is included in the PP. The 05 with the same equipment has a MSRP of $39,620 from the BMWUSA build-your-own web site. Let's say you could get it for $2K below that. (Everyone else can jump in with different assumption here.) So,... your choice is a brand new 05 for about $37.5K or a used 04 for $33K. Is the difference worth saving the $4500 to you? (Add tax and the difference in license and reg. Check for differences in insurance cost.) Also, do you really want/need the working Bluetooth, probably the only noticeable difference between the two years.

At a minimum, I'd ask for a printout of the service and warrenty claims history of the CPO X3 before going any further.

I don't know if you consider this an answer, but it is one way to think about things.

DeanQ
03-14-2005, 10:24 PM
I could careless for bluetooth so thats not an issue. I think a $4500 savings is pretty good over a new one if thats the difference. Having 7K miles doesnt bother me. How much would it cost to get a car CPO'd? Someone told me it was like $2K extra tacked on to the price from the dealer. If that the case, then I guess this is a fairly decent deal. I just wanted some peoples opinion on what they thought of the savings.

kyfdx
03-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I could careless for bluetooth so thats not an issue. I think a $4500 savings is pretty good over a new one if thats the difference. Having 7K miles doesnt bother me. How much would it cost to get a car CPO'd? Someone told me it was like $2K extra tacked on to the price from the dealer. If that the case, then I guess this is a fairly decent deal. I just wanted some peoples opinion on what they thought of the savings.

1) They are ASKING $32,995..

2) $4500 difference would be good if it was a NEW '04... For a used one, that is not enough of a discount..

3) Somewhere around $31K would be a better deal.. You wouldn't pay MSRP for a new one, would you? Then don't pay asking price for a used one.

4) Edmunds, KBB, etc... are not good gauges of the used car market...

DeanQ
03-15-2005, 08:20 AM
1) They are ASKING $32,995..

2) $4500 difference would be good if it was a NEW '04... For a used one, that is not enough of a discount..

3) Somewhere around $31K would be a better deal.. You wouldn't pay MSRP for a new one, would you? Then don't pay asking price for a used one.

4) Edmunds, KBB, etc... are not good gauges of the used car market...

Even being that the car is a CPO you still think its not enough of a discount?
The thing is I am trying to trade in my wife's 02 honda accord LX 4 door. I'm not sure if I have the power to wheel and deal since I am trying to get them to take the honda for what I owe. I owe $11,700 and they offered me $12K for it. I think it might be easier to wheel and deal if I was just buying it straight up with no trade. Man I hate trying to talk down a salesman.

sfca-325i
03-15-2005, 08:23 AM
I would recommend that you drive the '04 and '05 side by side. Reportedly, the ride on the '05 has been improved. A less expensive '04 will mean little if you are dissatisfied with the ride quality.

Laosk
03-15-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure if I have the power to wheel and deal since I am trying to get them to take the honda for what I owe. I owe $11,700 and they offered me $12K for it. I think it might be easier to wheel and deal if I was just buying it straight up with no trade.

Well, from my experience, I don't think having a trade in made it more difficult to bargain.
We compared the retail value and the trade in value of our trade in at KBB. This gave us a good idea where to start bargaining for trade in value. We knew what we owed and tried to shoot somewhere in the middle. Hopefully making some extra $$ for down payment/depost/acq fee/etc....

I would treat it as 2 seperate deals. You want to negotiate the price of the car and the terms of the sale/lease, but you can also negotiate for the trade in value that they will give you. The difference between what they give you vs what you owe can just be icing on the cake for the deal you have already worked (or are working on) for the 04 X3.

I would do a little research and find out what your Honda is worth.
Best of luck to you!
:thumbup: