PDA

View Full Version : 2004 X3 (E83) with Bluetooth

otter
03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
I recently purchased a 2004 X3 2.5i (E83) with BMW Assist and the Premium package. The vehicle production date was May 2004. It does have a bluetooth module installed and I have a pairing passkey card. However, the Bluetooth does not work. I am told that the TCU in the car was not updated in time for production with the proper software. Therefore the TCU is not able to "talk" with the Bluetooth module.

I have checked with the dealership ... but they are just as confused. I wrote to BMW, but they simply confirmed what I already know .. I paid for Bluetooth ... I have Bluetooth ... but it does not work.

Roundel's latest magazine did mention that you may be able to upgrade the existing TCU with newer software. Is this a correct statement? If so, where would I go to update the software? The dealership knows nothing about this.

Or are there other ways to make the existing Bluetooth work?

Any help would be appreciated.

b-y
03-18-2005, 01:27 AM
Roundel's latest magazine did mention that you may be able to upgrade the existing TCU with newer software. Is this a correct statement?
:thumbdwn: This is discussed in depth on this and other boards. The MY2004 TCU (the correct name for the telecom box) that comes with either BMW Assist alone or with the Premium Pkg. does not support BT, and there is no SW fix that will enable it to do so. Any tags or cards that say otherwise may be there, but they are incorrect. The TCU for MY2005 X3s, assembled in or after 09/04 do support BT.

You have three options:
(a) Have the dealer replace the BMW Assist TCU with a stand-alone BT TCU and lose the BMW Assist functionality. This will cost you.
(b) Have the dealer install the latest MY2005 TCU and have both Assist and BT. This will cost you.
(c) Live with what you got.

As to your statements:
I paid for Bluetooth ... I have Bluetooth
Unless someone has already changed the TCU, you do not have BT. (I can repeat that a few more times if you want.) As to what you "paid for" - this is hotly debated here and elsewhere. But the prevailing opinion is that (i) BT was not advertised as part of the specs, (ii) the specs always have weasel words such as "subject to change", and (iii) no salesman's comments or pieces of paper in glove box change (i) and (ii).

otter
03-18-2005, 05:59 AM
What is the cost to replace my May 2004 TCU with a newer TCU that supports Bluetooth and BMW Assist?

jimhono
03-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Unless someone has already changed the TCU, you do not have BT. (I can repeat that a few more times if you want.) As to what you "paid for" - this is hotly debated here and elsewhere. But the prevailing opinion is that (i) BT was not advertised as part of the specs, (ii) the specs always have weasel words such as "subject to change", and (iii) no salesman's comments or pieces of paper in glove box change (i) and (ii).[/QUOTE]

I read you comments with interest. I purchased the dealer's model that did come with a BMW/Motorola passkey but also can not communicate with my BT Verizon phone. Does this passkey give me false hope? While I can access service through "on board phone" it allows me to connect at $2.99 per call plus $1.99 per min. I would rather pick up my Verizon phone. The car did not come with the handset/or phone jack installed in the console. Any advice would be appreciated.

b-y
03-24-2005, 04:21 PM
...that prevent you from using BT. First, despite any passkey or other documentation, there never was any funtioning BT in US-bound MY2004 X3s or X5s with BMW Assist. Second, even if you replace the TCU with a MY2005 TCU, it still might not work for you. Verizon intentionally crippled the BT capabilities in their version of the MOT 710 phone to prevent it from working with "free" BT services provided by vehicle mfgrs. :cry:

If you search here or other boards, you'll find the latest BMW service bulletin on BT that confirms the first point. The Verizon problem has also been widely discussed.

JST
03-24-2005, 04:33 PM
...that prevent you from using BT. First, despite any passkey or other documentation, there never was any funtioning BT in US-bound MY2004 X3s or X5s with BMW Assist. Second, even if you replace the TCU with a MY2005 TCU, it still might not work for you. Verizon intentionally crippled the BT capabilities in their version of the MOT 710 phone to prevent it from working with "free" BT services provided by vehicle mfgrs. :cry:

If you search here or other boards, you'll find the latest BMW service bulletin on BT that confirms the first point. The Verizon problem has also been widely discussed.

The VZ problem appears to have been solved with the latest software revision for the V710. BMW now lists the V710 as a compatibile phone, and the V710 that I bought last week works flawlessly with the BT in my '05 330 w/ Assist (i.e., phonebook transfers, I can make and answer calls with the steering wheel buttons, etc). Others have posted recently that they are also able to get it to work.

Here is BMW's Bluetooth mini-site, that lists compatible phones:

http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth/index.htm