PDA

View Full Version : wind noise on my X3's closed panaromic sunroof

otter
03-17-2005, 08:55 PM
The panaromic sunroof on my '04 X3 is very noisy when closed and driving over 40mph. However, if a push up on the front of the sunroof while closed, the wind noise disappears. It seams that the sunroof is not quite closed tight enough and needs a slight adjustment.

I would like to adjust it myself if possible. It seems like a simple thing to do and I would rather not have take it in to the dealership for such a minor fix. Anybody know how to adjust the position of a panaromic sunroof while closed?

Thanks.

Tayrum
03-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Otter -

I haven't experience too much wind noise with the sunroof closed but did have a problem with it rattling. Turns out they did not put enough insulation in the back portion of the sunroof. The problem is fixed now but due to the cold I haven't been able to try the sunroof open yet.

I would take back to the dealer and take it out with the service technician and point out to him the noise you are hearing.

Good luck.

mysticbluex3
03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I had same problem, took it in the dealer for some adjustment and now I'm noise free.

otter
03-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks MysticBlue. At least I am not alone. I will call the dealer to adjust it.

iChick
04-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Guess what noise I heard for the first time today while driving on the freeway? After 3000 miles, I thought my roof was problem-free, but at least I know I'm not alone - thanks to this forum. I hope this gets resolved as easily and quickly as others here.

ICEBERG
04-10-2005, 12:40 PM
2000km and so far no noise or rattle from the sunroof. :)

Bart001
04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Wow -- I'm glad that I found this thread!

I hate hate hate the wind noise in my X3! It really bums me out and has me ready to sell the car after only 12 months. I've mentioned it casually to the dealer, but I will phone the service department immediately and see about an adjustment.

I seem to hear the noise as if it's coming thru the overhead control unit (the one with the BMW Assist button, etc). It's definitely coming from right up front like that. Is that consistent with the wind noise others here hear?

Thanks!

*Edit* Made an appointment with the dealership for next week . . . will follow up then.

otter
04-15-2005, 04:13 PM
I just got the car back today from the BMW shop. They replaced the molding that goes around the sunroof and it seems to be much quieter now. The mechanic told me the rubber molding was not attached to the car very well.