PDA

View Full Version : Does the X3 have an onboard hidden phone??

DeanQ
03-18-2005, 07:08 PM
I just bought a CPO X3 yesterday. It is a 2004 3.0i with only 7K miles. My wife drove the car to work for the first time today. Here is the wierd thing. She said today around 3pm the radio muted by itself and then the phone started ringing through the speakers. She pressed the little phone icon on the steering and answered the call. The lady on the other end answered and said, "Hello, is this the Hyatt Agency?" My wife answered, "Eh, you got the wrong number." The lady said Sorry and hung up.

Ok, how can I figure out what the phone number is to the car and how can I make phone calls from the vehicle? The car was owned by the dealer so I'm assuming someone activated the phone or something. The car didn't come with a freakin users manual. I want to make some calls.

I do not have NAV in the car.

xspeedy
03-18-2005, 08:19 PM
It is the phone that is part of the BMW Assist system. It allows you to call the Assist "Helpdesk" when you have a problem. The Assist cell phone system is also used to send data about your location and such.

The system does have a phone number, and while you can't make outgoing calls (to places other than the Helpdesk), if you find out what the number is, you could give it out fo friends and such so they can call you.

There was a thread about this, so just search the forum. I believe in some of the older versions, you can easily find out the phone number by looking at the Assist module.

DeanQ
03-18-2005, 08:27 PM
It is the phone that is part of the BMW Assist system. It allows you to call the Assist "Helpdesk" when you have a problem. The Assist cell phone system is also used to send data about your location and such.

The system does have a phone number, and while you can't make outgoing calls (to places other than the Helpdesk), if you find out what the number is, you could give it out fo friends and such so they can call you.

There was a thread about this, so just search the forum. I believe in some of the older versions, you can easily find out the phone number by looking at the Assist module.

You think If I called BMW assist they would tell me? What should I search for on the forum? BMW assist, Assist module?

iChick
03-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Oh, that is too cool. So who pays the phone bill??

xspeedy
03-18-2005, 08:32 PM
BMW pays for the bill. Of course, BMW won't just tell you the number because they don't want to get a bill for tons of airtime. If you get a "wrong number" again, you can always ask the caller to hit redial and note the number that was actually dialed.