PDA

View Full Version : Flap in tail pipe and chrome exaust tips

jdeday
03-19-2005, 08:54 AM
I was installing my chrome exhaust tips yesterday and noticed that there is a flap inside the exhaust tip that is opened and closed by a solenoid. Any idea what function this serves?

BTW, the exhaust tips are a nice detail.

xspeedy
03-19-2005, 09:31 AM
The search tool is quite helpful:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28907&highlight=flap

echelon153
03-19-2005, 10:33 AM
i was thinking of installing the exhaust tip as well. do you have pics.?

jdeday
03-19-2005, 11:13 AM
echelon153,

Here you go! Go for it, they look great!

echelon153
03-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Huge improvement! Very nice!
Thanks for the pics. Just ordered a pair and also for kicks, i disconnected the exhaust valve. can't really tell any difference. i will leave it like that for a few days and see (hear). :dunno:

jliu34740
03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
echelon153,

Could you describe the installation process? How much do they cost?

jdeday
03-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Installation is very simple, slide the chrome tip over the exaust outlet and tighten the screw on the bottom. I purchased mine off of a dealer on ebay for $50 a pair plus shipping. The dealer is Hammersley BMW , and this is a link to their store: http://stores.ebay.com/Hammersley-BMW-Mercedes-Benz_BMW-EXTERIOR_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Jeff

ICEBERG
03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
They look awsome. :thumbup:

Do you have the part# handy?

Thanks..

jdeday
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks.

The part number is: 82-12-0-305-010
you will need to order 2 of them one for each tip.

Jeff

jdeday
03-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Question about the flap, is it open or closed at idle?

doeboy
03-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Question about the flap, is it open or closed at idle?

Should be closed.

M-PIRE
03-24-2005, 06:56 PM
I put my chrome tips on a couple weeks ago and did not see any "flap". Where exactly is this thing? Is it something different for California emissions or Canada???

BTW, here are a couple pics of my tips.

M-PIRE

doeboy
03-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I put my chrome tips on a couple weeks ago and did not see any "flap". Where exactly is this thing? Is it something different for California emissions or Canada???

BTW, here are a couple pics of my tips.

M-PIRE

No it's not California specific. Look in the right side pipe and you should see the flap in there. Look behind the bumper cover just above that pipe and you will probably see the device that controls the flap.

a burrito
03-27-2005, 09:55 PM
the "flap" that you guys are referring to is the same flap (from what it sounds like) for a 3 series. the flap for our cars are closed until you reach 10mph and then it opens, its supposedly a torque thing but i really doubt it, just a cool piece of equipment. the exhaust is noticably louder when the flap is closed especially if you've drove your car for a bit. after driving, leave your windows down and start from a start to 10 mph , you will hear the valve close and the loud exhaust sound will disappear.

rrinker
03-28-2005, 06:48 AM
I doubt BMW put it there just for show. Slightly higher back pressure at low RPMs can increase low-end torque, while for more top-end horsepower you want a freer-flowing exhaust.
This is what makes the ricers with the huge fart-can exhausts so funny. Most of those cars have very little low end torque to begin with, now they open the exhaust way up and cut it even MORE.

adc
03-28-2005, 10:16 AM
I doubt BMW put it there just for show. Slightly higher back pressure at low RPMs can increase low-end torque, while for more top-end horsepower you want a freer-flowing exhaust.
This is what makes the ricers with the huge fart-can exhausts so funny. Most of those cars have very little low end torque to begin with, now they open the exhaust way up and cut it even MORE.

Apparently the Bentley manual mentions the function of that flap is to reduce noise at idle and low speed situations.

Unplug the thing if you want more noise, leave it on if you don't.

FYI the ZHP exhaust doesn't have that flap, so BMW seems to think it's not needed in a "sporty" application. :dunno:

YMMV.

adc
03 330 ZHP

M-PIRE
03-28-2005, 10:22 AM
The 330 may not have the flap but my '05 X3 3.0 does. I've got the sport package. When I looked, I had just backed into the garage and shut her off. The flap was open. The axis is vertical.

I wonder if this sucker is the cause of that "airy" sound between 2500 and 3000 RPM. Has anyone else experienced that noise? Does modifying the flap change it?

adc
03-28-2005, 10:38 AM
The 330 may not have the flap but my '05 X3 3.0 does.

What I meant was: the 330 ZHP doesn't have it, but the non-ZHP 330 does.

I highly doubt that disabling it will have any effect other than aural. Your preference, really.

adc
03 330 ZHP

jliu34740
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
echelon153,

%$#@ wife won't let me buy these. She says its basically a waste of money.

echelon153
04-04-2005, 04:29 PM

funny my wife asked if there's anything that can be done to make those pipes look better:thumbup:
just buy it and install it. she'll never know it's there. :D

adc
04-04-2005, 05:22 PM

she's absolutely right!!!

Laosk
04-04-2005, 06:55 PM
she's absolutely right!!!

It's not a waste of money if the owner thinks it's a visual improvement.
:p

farleywilbur
04-05-2005, 05:35 AM
Just had my new tips delivered yesterday and installed them. Big improvement for a reasonable cost.

ICEBERG
04-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I am going to pick up mine today. Wife does not know.. :D

climrgrl
04-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Come on, you guys should all be crafty enough to hide a $50 expense.....:rofl:
Remember, sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

adc
04-05-2005, 01:26 PM
It's not a waste of money if the owner thinks it's a visual improvement.
:p

Of course, you are correct.

I simply shudder to think that someone believes a pair of 4" shiny exhaust tubes will make an improvement in the looks department. I would think that paint, aero effects, tint and wheels would all come way ahead in the looks department.

I'm also wondering how many people notice the different exhaust tips on an X3.

I'm replying simply because he asked for our opinions. He might as well get some contrary ones too... :angel:

:dunno: But to each their own.

adc
03 330 ZHP with ugly dirty exhaust tips

Rob V
04-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Come on, you guys should all be crafty enough to hide a $50 expense.....:rofl:
Remember, sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

That's why me and the "Better Half" keep our finances separate. Always have and in the 10 years we've been together we've NEVER had a fight about money. Not once! She makes her money and buys her things...and I don't complain and Vise-Versa. :thumbup:

As for the tail pies, I agree that it's a visual improvement but I question how much of an improvement. Not much to me. But I guess you can look at it from the standpoint that $50 is a drop in the bucket compared to the $40k+ that the car costs and if the upgrade is worth much more than $50 to YOU, then that should be all justification you need. Afterall, it is just the price of a tank of gas, right?