PDA

View Full Version : Tinting.......?????

Spartacus_33
03-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm considering tinting the windows on my "yet to arrive" 2005-545.

If I do this, I don't want them really dark........ and haven't a clue on what is a good material (manufacturer) and what to avoid.

Any suggestions on % of tint I should go with?

Anyone have photos illustrating the % that you have gone with?

icemanjs4
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
I'd like to second this request on a yet to arrive 330i. I don't care if it looks dark. More importantly is that it rejects heat from the car as it gets quite hot here in Texas. Also, which tints don't affect the Radio/Navigation reception?

operknockity
03-19-2005, 10:53 PM
iceman is prolly gonna hate this answer.... Use The Search! This has been discussed many many many many times already!

LDV330i
03-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I'd like to second this request on a yet to arrive 330i. I don't care if it looks dark. More importantly is that it rejects heat from the car as it gets quite hot here in Texas. Also, which tints don't affect the Radio/Navigation reception?If you are interested in high heat rejection and no interference do a search on ceramic tint films. They are not cheap and expect to pay in excess of $400.

Also do not go by pictures only. A picture may show the same tint darker or lighter depending on the color of the interior. Mine looks pretty dark because my interior is black. On your car the same tint would look lighter.

icemanjs4
03-20-2005, 01:46 PM
iceman is prolly gonna hate this answer.... Use The Search! This has been discussed many many many many times already!
:angel:

BTW I have searched. That's how I knew to ask about the tinting not blocking out radio reception. Sadly there are no definitive answers out there aside from 3M being pretty good stuff.

LDV330i
03-20-2005, 03:37 PM

BTW I have searched. That's how I knew to ask about the tinting not blocking out radio reception. Sadly there are no definitive answers out there aside from 3M being pretty good stuff. :confused:

I am not sure what you mean by definitive answers. :dunno:

Just avoid metallic films. Your options aside from the 3M product, include Madico CharcOOl (not CharcOAl), Huper Optik, and Formula One Pinnacle. I can vouch for Huper Optic Ceramic and I personally know 2 other BF'ester who will vouch for Formula One Pinnacle. All these films have been discussed in several threads.

jetstream23
03-21-2005, 12:28 AM
I'd like to second this request on a yet to arrive 330i. I don't care if it looks dark. More importantly is that it rejects heat from the car as it gets quite hot here in Texas. Also, which tints don't affect the Radio/Navigation reception?

I had Huper Optik ceramic-coated tint installed on my car. Heat rejection is just about the best you can get due to the ceramic, but it is expensive.....ballpark $450 ! It also has a small amount of metallic material which MAY give you some problems with radio/SAT reception although my radio reception is pretty good.

http://www.huperoptik.com/Automotive.asp?cat=NaviAuto.inc

cambie
03-21-2005, 09:52 AM
how big of a concern is radio reception with tint? i was about to go get my 325i tinted, and i want something that's going to block a lot of heat, so i am sure they're goign to recommend a metallic film, but it is going to make my cell phone get crappy reception? I definately don't want that, especially after all the trouble i'm going through to get bluetooth setup properly with my nokia 6230.

wheel-man
03-21-2005, 10:10 AM
I had Huper Optik ceramic-coated tint installed on my car. Heat rejection is just about the best you can get due to the ceramic, but it is expensive.....ballpark $450 ! It also has a small amount of metallic material which MAY give you some problems with radio/SAT reception although my radio reception is pretty good.

http://www.huperoptik.com/Automotive.asp?cat=NaviAuto.inc

Which Huper Ceremic did you go with? Thinking of the 20.

jetstream23
03-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Which Huper Ceremic did you go with? Thinking of the 20.

I went with the Huper Optik Drei, it is a ceramic-coated tint that does have trace amounts of titanium in it for higher heat rejection. I went with it because it had the best solar heat rejection I could find in a tint that looked good on the windows. This thread might be helpful...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83751&page=1&highlight=Drei

Here is a spec. comparison between the Ceramic 30 (formerly Stark) and the Drei. I was looking at these two when I made my decision. As you can see, the Drei is less dark (VLT is 35% versus 34% which isn't a big difference) but it has 9% higher solar heat rejection which was important to me in Arizona. The Drei is roughly $100 to $150 more expensive.

Ceramic 30

Total Solar Energy Rejected 61%
Infrared Light Rejection 84%
Ultra Violet Light Rejection >99%
Visible Light Transmission 34%

DREI

Total Solar Energy Rejected 70%
Infrared Light Rejection 98%
Visible Light Transmission 35%

hockeynut
03-21-2005, 12:35 PM

BTW I have searched. That's how I knew to ask about the tinting not blocking out radio reception. Sadly there are no definitive answers out there aside from 3M being pretty good stuff.

Sunbusters on 183 is the place to go! They did my 330cic, as well as a friend's 325cic and they do a great job.

LDV330i
03-21-2005, 03:32 PM
how big of a concern is radio reception with tint? i was about to go get my 325i tinted, and i want something that's going to block a lot of heat, so i am sure they're goign to recommend a metallic film, but it is going to make my cell phone get crappy reception? I definately don't want that, especially after all the trouble i'm going through to get bluetooth setup properly with my nokia 6230.Please note that the radio antenna is embedded into the rear window. I have also installed the satellite radio antenna on the rear deck (inside the car). All this made me not want to risk it with any film that may not be radiowave transparent. Replacing window tint film specially on the rear window is something to be avoided because your heater element/antenna will be destroyed in the process. :cry:

If you do not want to spent $400 plus on ceramic tint film than use either Madico CharcOOl or the 3M film.

icemanjs4
03-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Sunbusters on 183 is the place to go! They did my 330cic, as well as a friend's 325cic and they do a great job.

Thanks Hockey nut. Didn't realize you were a fellow austinite. Where on 183 are they, maybe i'll stop by this weekend to do some research.

cambie
03-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Please note that the radio antenna is embedded into the rear window. I have also installed the satellite radio antenna on the rear deck (inside the car). All this made me not want to risk it with any film that may not be radiowave transparent. Replacing window tint film specially on the rear window is something to be avoided because your heater element/antenna will be destroyed in the process. :cry:

If you do not want to spent $400 plus on ceramic tint film than use either Madico CharcOOl or the 3M film.

how about llumar? I made an appointment for saturday with a place that uses them. Should I cancel, or at least ask them for other options of film?

LDV330i
03-22-2005, 09:33 PM
how about llumar? I made an appointment for saturday with a place that uses them. Should I cancel, or at least ask them for other options of film? You really need to do some research on film. Saying that you are getting Llumar film does not say anything about the kind of film that will be installed in your car. Things to consider when selecting a film aside from the shading coefficient (darkness) are heat rejection, visible light rejection, UV light rejection, material composition of the film. interefence with radio waves.

Llumar sells films in dyed,dyed/metal and all metal combinations. Dyed films are the cheapest but will also fade fast. Metal is the most expensive (in the Llumar line up) but it is fade resistant buy may produce a mirror effect and interfere with radio waves. Check Llumar's website (http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto-solar.html) for addtional info.

I hope I am not comming across as being on a soap box. If you choose to go with the most inexpensive film I would support decision if you did it in an informed manner and it met your personal needs. I am a firm believer of being an informed buyer.

Spartacus_33
03-23-2005, 08:17 AM
I went with the Huper Optik Drei, it is a ceramic-coated tint that does have trace amounts of titanium in it for higher heat rejection. I went with it because it had the best solar heat rejection I could find in a tint that looked good on the windows. This thread might be helpful...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83751&page=1&highlight=Drei

Here is a spec. comparison between the Ceramic 30 (formerly Stark) and the Drei. I was looking at these two when I made my decision. As you can see, the Drei is less dark (VLT is 35% versus 34% which isn't a big difference) but it has 9% higher solar heat rejection which was important to me in Arizona. The Drei is roughly $100 to $150 more expensive.

Ceramic 30

Total Solar Energy Rejected 61%
Infrared Light Rejection 84%
Visible Light Transmission 34%

DREI

Total Solar Energy Rejected 70%
Infrared Light Rejection 98%
Visible Light Transmission 35%

Jet........

Thanks for the great info! :bow: You gotta love this site! :clap:

Spartacus_33
03-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Please note that the radio antenna is embedded into the rear window. I have also installed the satellite radio antenna on the rear deck (inside the car). All this made me not want to risk it with any film that may not be radiowave transparent. Replacing window tint film specially on the rear window is something to be avoided because your heater element/antenna will be destroyed in the process. :cry:

I'm still a little confused about the satellite reception problem........ :dunno:

My car has the shark fin. No matter what type of tinting I go with shouldn't affect my Sat reception in the least should it?

LDV330i
03-23-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm still a little confused about the satellite reception problem........ :dunno:

My car has the shark fin. No matter what type of tinting I go with shouldn't affect my Sat reception in the least should it?
This only applies to people who install aftermarket SAT antennas and do not want to ruin the looks by installing outside. My antenna resides on my rear deck behind the rear seat.

Spartacus_33
03-23-2005, 10:45 AM
This only applies to people who install aftermarket SAT antennas and do not want to ruin the looks by installing outside. My antenna resides on my rear deck behind the rear seat.
Thanks.