PDA

View Full Version : Bimmerfest Questions

Jon Shafer
03-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I received an email from someone today and I will post some of it here for the benefit of those who may be unclear about Bimmerfest:

Thanks for writing. First off, I just want to say that we are doing the best that we can with the resources that we have available. Bimmerfest is provided at no charge (i.e. free admission) to both attendees and vendors. It is a not-for-profit venture provided solely for the enjoyment of the BMW enthusiast's community. This year marks the 6th year of the event which has established itself as the largest BMW-exclusive car show in North America.

Direct answers to your questions.

• Activities, (Contests, seminars, autocross, vender space avilibility, food ?????)

>> "Battle of the Bimmers" competition (contest), seminars TBA, vendor space now full, free food ("Bavarian BBQ"). Car show winners to be judged by members of the automotive press (e.g. Bimmer, European Car, and Eurotuner Magazines). We are currently working on having a local radio station do a live broadcast and provide music entertainment for the event as well. The day ends with the Bimmerfest Road Rally, an hour and a half drive in caravan formation (approx. 1,000 BMWs) up the California coast (HWY 101), and then back through Santa Ynez Valley wine country (HWY 154). (no autocross)

• Date and times
(Is there a car show contest, if so when is registration, the cost, how long must the car remain in place, etc.

>> The event will be held on Saturday April 23rd, and begins at 9:00 a.m. There is no formal registration process for the car show. All cars parked on the lot are open to consideration. Suggest arriving on time when the gates open to park on the lot.

• A event map floorplan and parking information
(If the dealer's lot fills up and late arrivals have to park their cool cars 1/4 mile away where no one will see them, then what'ts the point of even going?

There is an extensive list of tuner's and vendor's vehicle that will be worthwhile to see on display. In addition to the dealership the adjacent Hope Ave., and Hitchcock Way can accomodate overflow with free parking within a 5 minute walk. If that fills up, La Cumbre Plaza is within a 5 minute walk as well and has ample parking available for overflow.

• The BMW dealer's small lot should be reserved for Contest or show cars, ONLY, not stock street cars that arrive there first. yes?).
Then a separate specific parking area should be reserved for the other cars which is close by and people can hang out in as well and talk about their cars.

>> The dealership facility in Santa Barbara is one of the most amazing in the United States. Designed by one of the premier architects in the nation with the sole purpose of showing off exotic automobiles it offers something a little bit more to the atmosphere of the event than some giant asphalt parking lot would. I agree that ideally, only modified or special interest/show cars should park on the lot. This includes rare BMW's, Classics, "M" cars, ...etc. However, it is not really possible for us to enforce this rule. There is an obvious tradeoff given the location of the event. Unfortunately, we're not in L.A. or Long Beach. We don't have a convention center approach to Bimmerfest.

Hope this helps,
--Jon

Sev03
03-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi guys. I just signed up for the bimmerfest in SB. and i wanted to know how i will know if i have a spot or not. Will it be by just going there, or will i recieve an email. Thanks.

Mr. The Edge
03-19-2005, 08:19 PM
just show up

Jon Shafer
03-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Parking on the main lot is first-come, first served. We are trying this year to reserve the premium spots for true show cars (Classic or rare BMW's, ///M-cars, modified cars, or other BMWs of particular interest). I will be sending an email out to all registered attendees about this about a week prior to the event. Enforcement will be difficult. We will be using the honor system. There will be plenty of parking on either Hope Avenue, Hitchcock Way, or the La Cumbre Plaza shopping mall lot for overflow.

Attached are aerial images of the dealership. We will have the entire facility to work with (not just the BMW side as in years past), increasing parking capacity substantially.

I want to stress again the need for stringent self-monitoring. If you have a box-stock late model BMW, please be considerate of everyone and park off-site. Also, because the lot will be jam-packed with show cars, *if* you plan on parking on the lot, please don't expect to be able to leave early. You will not be able to leave until we depart for the Bimmerfest Road Rally.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46761

BMWenthusiast
03-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Jon, do you have any show car pictures from the past?

Jon Shafer
03-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Jon, do you have any show car pictures from the past?

I have hundreds of them...

:)

KrisL
03-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Here ya go Jon, Keyhole (http://www.keyhole.com) can get you a little better overhead view :).

http://www.linquist.net/temp/cutter.jpg

Jon Shafer
03-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Here ya go Jon, Keyhole (http://www.keyhole.com/) can get you a little better overhead view :).Kris,

Can you move the pic a bit to the South East?

What we're seeing there is mainly the Infiniti/Jaguar/Landrover store and Graham Chevrolet/Cadillac.

:angel:

The Mercedes/Porsche lot **which we will have this year** is partially in view.

All of that black asphalt in the upper lefthand corner of the pic you've posted is available parking for attendees driving the bone stockers..

KrisL
03-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Kris,

Can you move the pic a bit to the South East?

Here ya go!

http://www.linquist.net/temp/cutter1.jpg

Jon Shafer
03-21-2005, 07:06 AM
There it is!

One more favor Kris:

If we could have the same shot again, only zoomed out a bit...
(to illustrate more off-site parking options)

KrisL
03-21-2005, 07:25 AM
There it is!

One more favor Kris:

If we could have the same shot again, only zoomed out a bit...
(to illustrate more off-site parking options)

Sure!

http://www.linquist.net/temp/earth.jpg

That's not zoomed out too far, is it? :rofl:

http://www.linquist.net/temp/cutter3.jpg

Jon Shafer
03-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Perfect!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

ASAed330
03-22-2005, 12:48 AM
What is the criteria for having a "modified" BMW? :dunno:

Jon Shafer
03-22-2005, 03:14 AM
What is the criteria for having a "modified" BMW? :dunno:

<TABLE>*******>*******><TR><TD>mod·i·fy (mhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/obreve.gifdhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gif-fhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/lprime.gif)
To change in form or character; alter.
To make less extreme, severe, or strong: <CITE>refused to modify her stand on the issue.</CITE>
Grammar. To qualify or limit the meaning of. For example, summer modifies day in the phrase a summer day.
Linguistics. To change (a vowel) by umlaut.
v. intr. <DL><DD>To be or become modified; change.</DD></DL></TD></TR>********>********></TABLE>
modified
adj 1: changed in form or character; "their modified stand made the issue more acceptable"; "the performance of the modified aircraft was much improved" [ant: unmodified (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=unmodified)] 2: mediocre [syn: limited (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=limited)]

shragon
03-31-2005, 09:43 AM
jon, what time will the road rally begin? thanks.

uberpanzer
04-06-2005, 02:21 AM
"mediocre" is I believe the word you are suppose to be getting out of all of that fluf above. :D

So, the e21 Legion will be in full force again this year Jon. I think that either CJ or Attila had been trying to get it so we could all park together again, but since some of our cars might NOT be considered modified, are we going to have to alter that plan? We can also try and get you a full list before the event of the planned attendees, and see what mods they DO have that would 'allow' them access to the lot. By this point most of these 22+ year old cars are far from stock, even if they seem to be on the outside. But whatever....everyone needs to get a spot in the sun, right?

Jon Shafer
04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Parking on the main lot is first-come, first served. We are trying this year to reserve the premium spots for true show cars (Classic or rare BMW's, ///M-cars, modified cars, or other BMWs of particular interest).
E21's are considered to be classics, aren't they?

BoostedE21
04-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Yes the E21's are classic. We are going to have highly modded E21's there from turbocharged, to fully built all motor, light modded and stock. Either way, this year, the site of the E21's are going to awesome! :thumbup:

bimmerguy2006
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
While my car might not be "above standard" i am driving up to represent the LMU Automotive Enthusiasts. If i get there early enough, would it be possible to group 2 or 3 of our members together with our banner?

MattE21
04-07-2005, 11:19 PM
E21's are considered to be classics, aren't they?

Then i should have no concerns that the Arizona E21's making the trip will have a spot on the lot. :thumbup: The E21 group should be a few more strong than last year, and we're all anzious to park together!

Thanks Jon!

Jon Shafer
04-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Then i should have no concerns that the Arizona E21's making the trip will have a spot on the lot. The E21 group should be a few more strong than last year, and we're all anzious to park together!
Assuming that you guys arrive on time, and in a group, it is reasonably
foreseeable that you will be able to have a spot all together on the lot.
That is something that I can not personally guarantee at this time, though.
I want to see you all together, there is no question about that. There are
the minor logisitical challenges/obstacles that must be overcome...

scottn2retro
04-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Jon, speaking of people coming from AZ (or even further), as part of Battle of the Bimmers, should there be a prize for person driving the farthest to get to get to the 'fest? :)

RKT BMR
04-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Jon, speaking of people coming from AZ (or even further), as part of Battle of the Bimmers, should there be a prize for person driving the farthest to get to get to the 'fest? :):thumbup:

Jon Shafer
04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
:thumbup:

I just had a meeting with the principals at the dealership.

There will be an award for the farthest travelled to The 'Fest...

ASAed330
04-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Jon, will you allow all the ASA'er cars being parked together in the lot or is that not modded enough.

KrisL
04-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Jon, will you allow all the ASA'er cars being parked together in the lot or is that not modded enough.

I think it's safe to say that it's a personal judgement. Anyone can park on the lot that gets there early enough to do so. The event coordinators simply prefer that non-modded cars give first priority to cars that may be of more interest to the bimmerfest community.

Personally.. I'd love to see your ASA 330 :)

dallasfan824
04-08-2005, 10:43 PM
I think it's safe to say that it's a personal judgement. Anyone can park on the lot that gets there early enough to do so. The event coordinators simply prefer that non-modded cars give first priority to cars that may be of more interest to the bimmerfest community.

Anything I need to do re: parking, etc for the IceLink clinic?

ASAed330
04-08-2005, 11:50 PM

Haha. Thank you for the kind words. Since your in the Bay Area, you can see my car at any of the local meets. I love to meet new people. :) Say hi to me at the fest if you see me. Too bad most of my mods are engine. :(

KrisL
04-09-2005, 09:36 AM
... Too bad most of my mods are engine. :(

Why is that a frown? I applaud you for that fact!

KrisL
04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Anything I need to do re: parking, etc for the IceLink clinic?

Good question... Jon?

Jon Shafer
04-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Good question... Jon?

The clinic/demonstration will be performed inside the showroom on
a vehicle that belongs to the dealership (i.e., attendee parking
is not really a concern/issue).

KrisL
04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
The clinic/demonstration will be performed inside the showroom on
a vehicle that belongs to the dealership (i.e., attendee parking
is not really a concern/issue).

Aah, ok. I was under the impression that we could use dallasfan's car. That was the whole original idea - he was looking for someone to help him install the icelink... I said that I could do it while we're both in SB.... and that we might as well make a clinic out of it..

Jon Shafer
04-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Aah, ok. I was under the impression that we could use dallasfan's car. That was the whole original idea - he was looking for someone to help him install the icelink... I said that I could do it while we're both in SB.... and that we might as well make a clinic out of it..
Kris,

You could still do something like that. I thought the we were talking about
Julio's iPod/Sirius clinic. You could do it out in the general parking area.

KrisL
04-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Kris,

You could still do something like that. I thought the we were talking about
Julio's iPod/Sirius clinic. You could do it out in the general parking area.

Got it. Will do.

ASAed330
04-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Why is that a frown? I applaud you for that fact!

Most people look at the car because of its exterior mods. At meets, mines takes second stage. O wells, to each their own modding path. :)

See ya at BIMMERFEST!!!

mdernst
04-10-2005, 05:46 PM
I just had a meeting with the principals at the dealership.

There will be an award for the farthest travelled to The 'Fest...

:) Almost tempting enough to cause me to drive from New Orleans. Well that and the fact that it sounds like the whole event will be a blast. :+)

scottn2retro
04-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Almost tempting enough to cause me to drive from New Orleans. Well that and the fact that it sounds like the whole event will be a blast. :+)

Last year, Terry Kennedy drove from NY :yikes:

mdernst
04-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Some great drives across this great land.

I once started in Chicago --> Denver --> Rocky Mountain NP tour --> I-70 west into Utah (I-70 through the rockies has got to be prettiest interstate in existence) --> North to Salt Lake City --> I-80 west to San Francisco --> north into Sanoma/Napa Valleys --> south down PCH to San Simeon --> east into Sierra Nevada Mtns. --> back to Chicago via Denver. Did over 6,000 miles in a little over a week. Purely a "driving" trip.

scottn2retro
04-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Some great drives across this great land.

I once started in Chicago --> Denver --> Rocky Mountain NP tour --> I-70 west into Utah (I-70 through the rockies has got to be prettiest interstate in existence) --> North to Salt Lake City --> I-80 west to San Francisco --> north into Sanoma/Napa Valleys --> south down PCH to San Simeon --> east into Sierra Nevada Mtns. --> back to Chicago via Denver. Did over 6,000 miles in a little over a week. Purely a "driving" trip.

Time for another? :D

s4play
04-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I have hundreds of them...

Whatz up Jon! Wow, haven't seen that pic of my car in ages...hahaha (far right thumbnail)

This is my 4th year straight going to this event and Jon is a class act. Always fun and very relaxed atmosphere to chill with some of the greatest car nutz in the world :thumbup:

As always I appreciate what you have done for the Bimmer community and hope to see you again this year - wooohooo!

oh btw, here's a more recent pic of my car:

12 days and counting...................

http://members.roadfly.org/******/left front.jpg

late,
rick

Jon Shafer
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Whatz up Jon! Wow, haven't seen that pic of my car in ages...hahaha (far right thumbnail)

This is my 4th year straight going to this event and Jon is a class act. Always fun and very relaxed atmosphere to chill with some of the greatest car nutz in the world :thumbup:

As always I appreciate what you have done for the Bimmer community and hope to see you again this year - wooohooo!

oh btw, here's a more recent pic of my car:

12 days and counting...................

http://members.roadfly.org/******/left%20front.jpg

late,
rick
Thanks for your kind words Rick. I am very excited about this year's edition
of Bimmerfest. I have dedicated much more time to planning than ever
before, and I can't wait for April 23rd!!

Btw, your car is absolutely incredible.
:jawdrop:

One of the nicest I have ever seen.

Can't wait to see it again!

Look forward to seeing you again too buddy!

marvelphx
04-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Yes, kudos on the beautiful M.

s4play
04-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words on my M3 - still got a few last minute touches before the awesome drive there...hehe

Some key mods to note:

1) Vented hood is an OEM aluminum hood custom molded so perfect fitment :)

2) Rieger Sideskirts are ABS and very rare

3) Only undercover M3 police car (you'll see what I mean at the show)

4) Full ICE setup with dolby digital 8" TV setup

Read more about my car here:

http://www.europrojektz.com/EP6/EP_West/NorCal/rick/profile.htm

Brad323i
04-13-2005, 02:22 AM

Any word on him attending again this year? It was NJ btw. :thumbup:

tom@densionusa
04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Got it. Will do.

I will be performing installations by appointment as well at the fest - if you need assistance at the clinic, let me know! :thumbup: