PDA

View Full Version : BMW 5 Series .vs. Lexus GS .vs. jaguar S-type .Vs. Mercedes-Benz E-class .Vs. Volvo80

BMW528i_Bilal
03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I wanted to know what car you guys thought was better, the Lexus GS or BMW 5 series. I have heard many things about the new GS model but dunno, i used to think the Lexus Gs was ugly, people told me it was more reliable than the 5 series because the fact it was Japanese. I also looked into other competitors also BMW 5 Series .vs. Lexus GS .vs. jaguar S-type .Vs. Mercedes-Benz E-class .Vs. Volvo80 vs. audi a6, and etc to see which car is best in its class for LUXURY, PERFORMANCE, PRESTIGE. Right now the Volvo s80, BMW 5 series and Mercedes E-320CDI are my top three choices. Wanted to start a indept discussion about these cars with the people in this forum on these cars, and primarly compared to the 5 series. :) My family is planning to replace the 99 Mercedes-Benz e-320 within a year and we were looking at these cars, so what do you guys think???????

chivas
03-20-2005, 06:27 AM
MB: Electrical nightmare. every time i go over to my mechanic, he'll always be working on one.. a fairly new model as well. The older ones are in for timing chain and head fix with 200+K miles. the new ones with electrical issue: 50-80K miles.

Audi: look above with crappy interior parts which starts to fall apart after 3-5 years of ownership.

Volvo: friend bought an S80R and all 4 calipers FELL off the car in different times. then there's the clicking axle which Volvo (ford) said it's normal... right.

Jag: it's gotten up from a long way but if you think about it, you really can't fall off the floor. Have no real input but the fact that they have been improved a lot. the new XJ... wow.. sex right there.

Lexus: it's like having sex with a hot chick that's passed out. on paper everything looks good, in practice it feels like a car. just a car. not a sports car.. nothing sporty, just a car. You'll save so much money on maintance you can spend it on medication to keep you awake while driving it.

bmw325
03-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Lexus: it's like having sex with a hot chick that's passed out. on paper everything looks good, in practice it feels like a car. just a car. not a sports car.. nothing sporty, just a car. You'll save so much money on maintance you can spend it on medication to keep you awake while driving it.

You may be right, but the new GS could be much imporved over the older one. Have you driven the new GS?

chivas
03-20-2005, 07:39 AM
You may be right, but the new GS could be much imporved over the older one. Have you driven the new GS?

not yet. going to after i get my front fixed thanks to be school bus.

EDIT: i'm not going to hold my breath though...

GJR
03-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Lexus: it's like having sex with a hot chick that's passed out.Hey chivas...that isn't exactly that bad, is it? :angel: :rofl:

Kaari
03-20-2005, 08:51 PM
MB: Electrical nightmare. every time i go over to my mechanic, he'll always be working on one.. a fairly new model as well. The older ones are in for timing chain and head fix with 200+K miles. the new ones with electrical issue: 50-80K miles.

Audi: look above with crappy interior parts which starts to fall apart after 3-5 years of ownership.

Volvo: friend bought an S80R and all 4 calipers FELL off the car in different times. then there's the clicking axle which Volvo (ford) said it's normal... right.

Jag: it's gotten up from a long way but if you think about it, you really can't fall off the floor. Have no real input but the fact that they have been improved a lot. the new XJ... wow.. sex right there.

Just had a comment about the way you have described all the cars
*Entertaining*
:rofl:

Bilal-

Think of it this way- If you want adrenaline to be pumping go with your Germans- If you want symphony and reliability go with Japanese- although these days they are trying very hard to keep their image sporty with the GS.

USDPhil
03-20-2005, 08:56 PM
MB came out with the E350 and the interior of the MB is awesome in my opinion. I'm trying to make the same decision right now, E350 or 530i. 268bhp vs. 255 bhp.... As for the Volvo & GS, don't know anything, and the Jag...Jag's are predominantly woman cars. Putting that stereotype aside, it is also a Ford production. IMO, you can't go wrong getting a German, and as far as the MB electrical problems go, not too sure about that. My brother has an '03 E320 and loves it, no problems at all, but that's at 30k miles, so....good luck, I'll be looking forward to this thread b/c I'm in the same situation...

E39spd
03-20-2005, 08:58 PM

............Chivas, when did Volvo start making an S80R? Are you talking about the S60R or S70R?

BMW528i_Bilal
03-20-2005, 09:10 PM
personally i would say the old Lexus GS is ugly compared to a BMW 5 series. I am talking about exterior, interior, and etc. Well not ugly but pure tasteless japanese styling.

bim530mer
03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Just had a comment about the way you have described all the cars
*Entertaining*

Bilal-

Think of it this way- If you want adrenaline to be pumping go with your Germans- If you want symphony and reliability go with Japanese- although these days they are trying very hard to keep their image sporty with the GS.

Ya adrenaline when you have to apply so many fixes and worry about some more before 50k :cry:

German cars drive differently... but crappy electrical systems and accessories... after all... our cars have become moving electronics and can't really live without accessories...

The sporty feel of a bimmer... well... it is just a feel... still way underpowered compared to the electronics underhood and GM transmissions :eek: (you always can get a better 6 cyl right)

If you say no to above... then what's your definition of a daily used car? :dunno:

that's my $0.02...

bim530mer
03-20-2005, 11:01 PM
MB came out with the E350 and the interior of the MB is awesome in my opinion. I'm trying to make the same decision right now, E350 or 530i. 268bhp vs. 255 bhp.... As for the Volvo & GS, don't know anything, and the Jag...Jag's are predominantly woman cars. Putting that stereotype aside, it is also a Ford production. IMO, you can't go wrong getting a German, and as far as the MB electrical problems go, not too sure about that. My brother has an '03 E320 and loves it, no problems at all, but that's at 30k miles, so....good luck, I'll be looking forward to this thread b/c I'm in the same situation...
I did a back-to-back comparison on highways and city...

Mercedes Benz...
1- MB is bulky car.. you can feel it... but the engine is there to push it where you want... just get used to the RPM reving high....
2- As far as electronics... you can see MBs around more than Toyotas here... but the fact is... fixing MB is cheaper and spare parts are cheap... get BOSCH or any approved brand... BMWs don't have aftermarket parts for essential things...
3- MB... too many models for one part... confusing... you always have to go with the part number...
4- The best part is... quieter and comfy... what people say about steering wheel feel and preciseness is there... still can handle curves and twists in a nice way... I admit BMW is more agile in this...
5- MB has Chrysler parts...

Now to Bimmers....
1- Quality issues since day 1... squeaks, don't push it in curves control arms, don't lower windows... !!!
2- Precise steering wheel.. means you can't drive straight for a long distance as no street is perfectly paved.. constantly adjusting the steering wheel...
3- The 255HP engine is not out yet... wait untill they clear any issue before you make a decision to buy... the 350 engine in MB is there for sometime... and I will really get the 272HP over a 255HP...
4- BMW has GM transmissions
5- Not as comfy and quiet...

Bottom line is... if you fix your car at the dealer then buy the car with the best dealer in your area... and remember they are not as reliable as Japanesse..

chivas
03-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Chivas, when did Volvo start making an S80R? Are you talking about the S60R or S70R?

blah.. all these damn numbers... he had the S70R. Brain fart on the 80... i think it's because i was cut off by a biabia in a 80 the other day that got my brain thinking how safe is that 80 she's in....

Kaari
03-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Ya adrenaline when you have to apply so many fixes and worry about some more before 50k :cry:

German cars drive differently... but crappy electrical systems and accessories... after all... our cars have become moving electronics and can't really live without accessories...

The sporty feel of a bimmer... well... it is just a feel... still way underpowered compared to the electronics underhood and GM transmissions :eek: (you always can get a better 6 cyl right)

If you say no to above... then what's your definition of a daily used car? :dunno:

that's my $0.02...

I Agree-
There is no question as to the reliability of Japanese built cars. And the short comings of german electrical components.

That said-
I also believe that I am writing a comment on bimmerfest. There is something about these cars which attract us. A sporty feel is "not just" a feel. Its something that drives us to become one with the road- and enjoy every second of our times spend behind the wheel filled with exhilaration. Its this spirit that makes us fall in love with these cars.

So now- If Bilal is looking for exhilaration and the reputation of being behind the wheel of a BMW- he needs to take the plunge. If he wants a safe bet- go with Japanese. There is nothing wrong with it- However- a couple of years from now- when hed reflect on the decision would the world BMW or - GS sound more astounding.
:dunno:

chivas
03-21-2005, 08:53 AM
A sporty feel is "not just" a feel. Its something that drives us to become one with the road- and enjoy every second of our times spend behind the wheel filled with exhilaration. Its this spirit that makes us fall in love with these cars.

yes, it's called torque. :D

Salvator
03-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Lexus: it's like having sex with a hot chick that's passed out. :bustingup :rofl: :thumbup:

rdollie
03-22-2005, 11:06 PM
There's no S70R. There was a 850R model prior to the S70 and now there is a S60R/V70R but no S70R.

The Volvo S60R comes with 330 mm 4-pot Brembos. I doubt these fell off on a S60R...

blah.. all these damn numbers... he had the S70R. Brain fart on the 80... i think it's because i was cut off by a biabia in a 80 the other day that got my brain thinking how safe is that 80 she's in....

bmwguynj
03-23-2005, 06:18 AM
I test drove the current 530i and the new GS430.

The 5 series is still more fun to drive and should be even more fun to drive for 2006 MY with the additinal HP. The GS430 was also very good and what keeps me thinking about it is the price of a loaded 530i gets to be the same price as a loaded GS430 (V8).

Lexus did a great job with the new GS, but my heart is still in it for the 5 series and this is mostly due to the upgraded enginer for 2006.

BMW528i_Bilal
03-23-2005, 08:15 AM
There's no S70R. There was a 850R model prior to the S70 and now there is a S60R/V70R but no S70R.

The Volvo S60R comes with 330 mm 4-pot Brembos. I doubt these fell off on a S60R...

We have a 1998 Volvo S70 2.5 SE. Beautiful, Reliable, remarkable drive. Typical attributes a European car has. We have a standard 168hp non-turbo engine, lots of power. I am sure they released a version in Europe of the S70R. :eek:

BMW528i_Bilal
03-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Some might say that the Lexus is more reliable than the BMW 5 series which holds a competitive advantage over BMW. Untrue. I think both cars are equally reliable. If you don't maintain your car probably what would you expect. If you look at most Lexus owners they pamper their cars in return they get reliablity, thats not however true with BMW owners. Most BMW owners expect worry free driving, not don't service and when the car breaks down they complain.

rdollie
03-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Sorry, there's been no S70R (although more than one owner has bought the 'R' label and slapped in on their car.) I owned a '94 850 Turbo, '98 S70 T5, '99 S80 T6, '01 V70 T5, '03 XC90 T6 (still have), and '04 S60R (still have.)

We have a 1998 Volvo S70 2.5 SE. Beautiful, Reliable, remarkable drive. Typical attributes a European car has. We have a standard 168hp non-turbo engine, lots of power. I am sure they released a version in Europe of the S70R. :eek:

chivas
03-23-2005, 12:44 PM

doing a little search, yes he had the S60R. Thought it was bigger.

but believe it or not, the Brembos FELL off the car. It's not the brake's or the caliper's fault. i'm sure the 4-pots works well... actually i KNOW they work well, just the build quality on the mount sucked.

I do have to say that the Navigation on that puppy was hot.

BMW528i_Bilal
03-24-2005, 05:37 AM
doing a little search, yes he had the S60R. Thought it was bigger.

but believe it or not, the Brembos FELL off the car. It's not the brake's or the caliper's fault. i'm sure the 4-pots works well... actually i KNOW they work well, just the build quality on the mount sucked.

I do have to say that the Navigation on that puppy was hot.

people say volvo isn't what it used to be. for example Volvo S70's replacement S60 isn't has good looking nor as reliable as its predessor. I can say the same thing about the new 5 series even though i am starting to like it, i don't love it like i do the E39. Cars today aren't what they used to be. :eeps:

bmw325
03-31-2005, 05:19 AM
people say volvo isn't what it used to be. for example Volvo S70's replacement S60 isn't has good looking nor as reliable as its predessor. I can say the same thing about the new 5 series even though i am starting to like it, i don't love it like i do the E39. Cars today aren't what they used to be. :eeps:

Hmmm- you really think the old boxy S70 (based on the 850), is better looking than the s60? Not sure about the reliability of the last 2 generations; but the older RWD Volvos were definitely very durable, but then again, they were pretty simple cars.

BMW528i_Bilal
03-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Hmmm- you really think the old boxy S70 (based on the 850), is better looking than the s60? Not sure about the reliability of the last 2 generations; but the older RWD Volvos were definitely very durable, but then again, they were pretty simple cars.

I think its better looking than the s60, its more roomier as well. I have no problem with the way the car looks, in my opinion if you have the spolier at the back it looks perfect. The boxy design gets you more room, and safety. My friend had a 99 S70 got into an accident, a lady hit the left side of the car, his car swirled and hit the guard rail at 80km/h. The car was totalled but he got out without a scratch. I think volvo did big mistake letting go of the S70 platform, it was a very solid car. The last of the good volvos. I can say that about the BMW 5 series (E39) as well.

I want to test-drive the new 5 series and 3 series when they come out with the big 255hp.
Some people told me it would be the same size as a E39 5 series, is this true? Is the 2.5 models getting an upgrade?

chivas
03-31-2005, 05:41 AM
... they were pretty simple cars.

and sometimes it's because they are simple that makes them so great.

chivas
03-31-2005, 05:43 AM
I think its better looking than the s60, its more roomier as well. I have no problem with the way the car looks, in my opinion if you have the spolier at the back it looks perfect. The boxy design gets you more room, and safety. My friend had a 99 S70 got into an accident, a lady hit the left side of the car, his car swirled and hit the guard rail at 80km/h. The car was totalled but he got out without a scratch. I think volvo did big mistake letting go of the S70 platform, it was a very solid car. The last of the good volvos. I can say that about the BMW 5 series (E39) as well.

I want to test-drive the new 5 series and 3 series when they come out with the big 255hp.
Some people told me it would be the same size as a E39 5 series, is this true? Is the 2.5 models getting an upgrade?

RWD Volvo > FWD Volvo

could volvo's be sharing the same platform as some Fords now like how Ford did to Jaguar?

gojira-san
03-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Hmmm- you really think the old boxy S70 (based on the 850), is better looking than the s60? My sister in law had a S70 lease, went to a S60 lease, then after that one, bought a used S70. The primary reason was more room in the S70 vs the S60, especially in the rear seat.

BMW528i_Bilal
03-31-2005, 06:03 AM
RWD Volvo > FWD Volvo

could volvo's be sharing the same platform as some Fords now like how Ford did to Jaguar?

I have heard they have the Ford transmissions from 2001. Most volvo's, mazda's and jags share the same platfrom. The ford five-hundered is built on the volvo s80 platform. I think these luxury car lose their image when they merge with these American car companies. Yes, simple is good. Volvo isn't built to be a ulitmate performance car like BMW, its just basically safety, luxury, and good old durability. though the Volvo S70 T5 SE isn't bad. :thumbup:

BMW528i_Bilal
03-31-2005, 06:09 AM
My sister in law had a S70 lease, went to a S60 lease, then after that one, bought a used S70. The primary reason was more room in the S70 vs the S60, especially in the rear seat.

I couldn't agree with her more. I think the Volvo S70 is more comfortable than my 5 series, has great leg room, and headroom which bmw does not have, and i gotta say this i just love the way the S70 sounds. lt has this unique exhaust sound which makes the car sound like a sports car. I could say the same thing about the 528i i have but its a little more quite. :rofl:

rdollie
03-31-2005, 09:26 AM
No that's not accurate. Volvos of the past ten years or so have mostly had Aisin-Warner (sp.) trannies. The S80 has a GM sourced tranny (just like the prior 5 series.) The Volvo Rs have a Volvo designed 6-speed.

Volvo does some floorpan sharing on the P1/C1 architecture with the new 40/50 series cars which is great as the Euro-only next Gen Focus and Mazda sister that use this architecture have great driving dynamics. The Freestyle and 500 use a very stripped down version of Volvos aging P2 architecture which debuted in 1998 on the MY99 S80 and now underpins all large Volvos. Its replacement is on the horizon which is why its quite logical to utilize cheapened versions for higher end Fords. I'd much rather see Volvo DNA trickle down over time into Ford, Mazda, and Jag/Land Rover than the other way around.

I have heard they have the Ford transmissions from 2001. Most volvo's, mazda's and jags share the same platfrom. The ford five-hundered is built on the volvo s80 platform. I think these luxury car lose their image when they merge with these American car companies. Yes, simple is good. Volvo isn't built to be a ulitmate performance car like BMW, its just basically safety, luxury, and good old durability. though the Volvo S70 T5 SE isn't bad. :thumbup:

rdollie
03-31-2005, 09:27 AM
The S70 definitely had more room but as the former owner of a S70 T5 and current owner of a S60R I'll take the newer architecture and driving dynamics over the prior generation platform any day (and Volvo's new 40/50 series have even better driving dynamics in my experience.)

My sister in law had a S70 lease, went to a S60 lease, then after that one, bought a used S70. The primary reason was more room in the S70 vs the S60, especially in the rear seat.

lcc014
03-31-2005, 06:45 PM

As far as I know, Volvo has no S80R, they only have one S80, that's it. Are you mixing it up with S60R ?

Early version of S80 (1999 -2001) had problem with the sub-frame mount, steering column and check engine light due to gas cap issues. Other than those, it is pretty solid after many bug fixes. S80 is a soft acceleration car even with the T6 model. It won't accelerate as fast as the bimmer for sure. S60 is based upon 850/S70, so it is the best of the Volvo family up today. Volvo with drive-by-wire throttle control (2000 - 2001) had problem with the ETM, failed too soon. Quality of the ETM module was no good. Our E60/E39 also have ETM, I hope that it will stay up long after warranty expired.

Ching-Ho Cheng

lcc014
03-31-2005, 06:50 PM
I couldn't agree with her more. I think the Volvo S70 is more comfortable than my 5 series, has great leg room, and headroom which bmw does not have, and i gotta say this i just love the way the S70 sounds. lt has this unique exhaust sound which makes the car sound like a sports car. I could say the same thing about the 528i i have but its a little more quite. :rofl:

So far, my Volvo 850 seats are far better than my 2005 E60 seats. My daughters and my wife keep complaining about the E60 seats not being as comfortable as my Volvo. I had tried many different positions and still no as comfortable as Volvo. I don't know about the comfort seats of the E60 because I didn't order it. I just compare the standard power seats in E60 with my Volvo 850.

Ching-Ho Cheng

rdollie
03-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Some inaccuracies here...

S80 T6 acceleration is actually quite strong if you know what you're doing. Considering it's Volvo's heavy flagship sedan and only comes in an automatic the fact that Road and Track clocked it at 6.1 getting to 60 is pretty good and certainly outruns similarly priced 5 series automatics of the same period (ironically both BMW 5 autos and Volvo S80 used GM trannies in those years.) The 1999 Volvo S80 T6 in particular did have some teething issues and overall had lower than average reliability.

Also the S60 is not based on the 850/S70. The S60 is built on Volvo's large car P2 platform which replaced the old 800/900 series cars.

As far as I know, Volvo has no S80R, they only have one S80, that's it. Are you mixing it up with S60R ?

Early version of S80 (1999 -2001) had problem with the sub-frame mount, steering column and check engine light due to gas cap issues. Other than those, it is pretty solid after many bug fixes. S80 is a soft acceleration car even with the T6 model. It won't accelerate as fast as the bimmer for sure. S60 is based upon 850/S70, so it is the best of the Volvo family up today. Volvo with drive-by-wire throttle control (2000 - 2001) had problem with the ETM, failed too soon. Quality of the ETM module was no good. Our E60/E39 also have ETM, I hope that it will stay up long after warranty expired.

Ching-Ho Cheng

rdollie
03-31-2005, 09:12 PM
For many years Volvo was the only manufacturer who contracted with a team of Orthopedic surgeons to do a lot of their seat design work (fabrication by Autoliv or Johnson if I recall correctly.) I'm not sure but I think Saab does the same now.

So far, my Volvo 850 seats are far better than my 2005 E60 seats. My daughters and my wife keep complaining about the E60 seats not being as comfortable as my Volvo. I had tried many different positions and still no as comfortable as Volvo. I don't know about the comfort seats of the E60 because I didn't order it. I just compare the standard power seats in E60 with my Volvo 850.

Ching-Ho Cheng

lcc014
04-01-2005, 05:15 AM

S80 T6 acceleration is actually quite strong if you know what you're doing. Considering it's Volvo's heavy flagship sedan and only comes in an automatic the fact that Road and Track clocked it at 6.1 getting to 60 is pretty good and certainly outruns similarly priced 5 series automatics of the same period (ironically both BMW 5 autos and Volvo S80 used GM trannies in those years.) The 1999 Volvo S80 T6 in particular did have some teething issues and overall had lower than average reliability.

Also the S60 is not based on the 850/S70. The S60 is built on Volvo's large car P2 platform which replaced the old 800/900 series cars.

I meant the engine design was based upon the 850.

Ching-Ho Cheng

BMW528i_Bilal
04-01-2005, 06:53 AM
No that's not accurate. Volvos of the past ten years or so have mostly had Aisin-Warner (sp.) trannies. The S80 has a GM sourced tranny (just like the prior 5 series.) The Volvo Rs have a Volvo designed 6-speed.

Volvo does some floorpan sharing on the P1/C1 architecture with the new 40/50 series cars which is great as the Euro-only next Gen Focus and Mazda sister that use this architecture have great driving dynamics. The Freestyle and 500 use a very stripped down version of Volvos aging P2 architecture which debuted in 1998 on the MY99 S80 and now underpins all large Volvos. Its replacement is on the horizon which is why its quite logical to utilize cheapened versions for higher end Fords. I'd much rather see Volvo DNA trickle down over time into Ford, Mazda, and Jag/Land Rover than the other way around.

I stand corrected, though i only heard about this and wasn't presenting this as a fact

BMW528i_Bilal
04-01-2005, 07:00 AM
For many years Volvo was the only manufacturer who contracted with a team of Orthopedic surgeons to do a lot of their seat design work (fabrication by Autoliv of Johnson if I recall correctly.) I'm not sure but I think Saab does the same now.

Viva Sweden, I wish BMW does the same with their cars, focusing in on comfort.

djlfp
04-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Viva Sweden, I wish BMW does the same with their cars, focusing in on comfort.
The comfort seats in the E65/66 are by far the most comfortable car seats I have ever sat in. :thumbup: I believe the same seats are also available in the 5 series.

rdollie
04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Ah, yes I understand. They do indeed share the same architecture and are of the same family (Volvo's current Porsche designed inline engine family debuted in I6 form on the 960 and then spawned the I5 form for the 800 series cars. The replacement inline engines are on their way now for Volvo.)

I meant the engine design was based upon the 850.

Ching-Ho Cheng

bmw325
04-02-2005, 07:31 AM

I also really liked the way the 850 and s70 sounded. REviewers always had negative things to say about that sound, but I really liked it.

I drove a Volvo cross-country recently, and didn't hear that same exhaust note. Too bad.

damn volvos
04-02-2005, 10:47 PM
damn volvos

BMW528i_Bilal
04-05-2005, 05:38 AM
damn volvos

lol, funny guy

BMW528i_Bilal
04-05-2005, 05:50 AM

A BMW 528i compared to a Volvo S80 T6. Even though the volvo s80 t6 has more power it wouldn't handle as well as a 528i model. The 5 series hugs the road, and plus the inline 6 can out run it a T6 anyday on the highway. Whats power, when a car doesn't handle well. However, the s80 does have a lot more room and is perfect for the common family, while the 5 series isn't. The 5 series isn't as big as it looks, and only 5'6-5'9ft people can find absolute comfort in a car like that.

rdollie
04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Right and wrong I think. The 528 absolutely handles better. However, on the street, on the highway, etc. there's absolutely no way the 528 driver will see anything other than S80 T6 butt flying off over the horizon. It's not even close. R&T clocked the S80 T6 at something like 6.1 seconds getting to 60 and it's electronically regulated to 150 as I recall. The 528 simply can't touch it for speed (remember we're talking an I6 with twin turbos here) but handling easily goes to the 528 (the S80 T6 is stickier on a skidpad as I recall though.)

I think you were thinking of the S80 2.9 which is a NA I6?

Thanks.

rdo

A BMW 528i compared to a Volvo S80 T6. Even though the volvo s80 t6 has more power it wouldn't handle as well as a 528i model. The 5 series hugs the road, and plus the inline 6 can out run it a T6 anyday on the highway. Whats power, when a car doesn't handle well. However, the s80 does have a lot more room and is perfect for the common family, while the 5 series isn't. The 5 series isn't as big as it looks, and only 5'6-5'9ft people can find absolute comfort in a car like that.

BMW528i_Bilal
04-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Right and wrong I think. The 528 absolutely handles better. However, on the street, on the highway, etc. there's absolutely no way the 528 driver will see anything other than S80 T6 butt flying off over the horizon. It's not even close. R&T clocked the S80 T6 at something like 6.1 seconds getting to 60 and it's electronically regulated to 150 as I recall. The 528 simply can't touch it for speed (remember we're talking an I6 with twin turbos here) but handling easily goes to the 528 (the S80 T6 is stickier on a skidpad as I recall though.)

I think you were thinking of the S80 2.9 which is a NA I6?

Thanks.

rdo

Actually yes, i was comparing it with the 2.9 model. I don't think the S80 T6 could do 0-100km in 6.1 seconds, i mean that would be faster than a bmw 540i by a o.1seconds faster than a 540i, and the difference between those cars are the volvo is an I6 turbo 268hp, while the BMW 540i 97-2000 is 282hp V8. I would think there both the same weight so it would be impossible for a Volvo S80 T6 to do 0-100km in 6.1seconds when a BMW 540i would do it a millisecond after. The volvo S80 T6 does 0-100km in 6.6 seconds respectively.

http://www.modernracer.com/volvos80t6.html :thumbup:

rdollie
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Agreed. The number I gave was for 0-60 mph, not 0-100kph (which is 0-62) and hence the discrepancy. 6.6 sounds like the high side of 0 - 100 kph for the T6 but quite reasonable (there's so many factors on that car that have to be optimized by the driver correctly including DSTC setting, transmission training, and pedal modulation.) In the hands of the unskilled I'm sure many have seen 0 -60 times in the 7.x second range.

Actually yes, i was comparing it with the 2.9 model. I don't think the S80 T6 could do 0-100km in 6.1 seconds, i mean that would be faster than a bmw 540i by a o.1seconds faster than a 540i, and the difference between those cars are the volvo is an I6 turbo 268hp, while the BMW 540i 97-2000 is 282hp V8. I would think there both the same weight so it would be impossible for a Volvo S80 T6 to do 0-100km in 6.1seconds when a BMW 540i would do it a millisecond after. The volvo S80 T6 does 0-100km in 6.6 seconds respectively.

http://www.modernracer.com/volvos80t6.html :thumbup:

bmw325
04-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Agreed. The number I gave was for 0-60 mph, not 0-100kph (which is 0-62) and hence the discrepancy. 6.6 sounds like the high side of 0 - 100 kph for the T6 but quite reasonable (there's so many factors on that car that have to be optimized by the driver correctly including DSTC setting, transmission training, and pedal modulation.) In the hands of the unskilled I'm sure many have seen 0 -60 times in the 7.x second range.

Even w/ a twin-turbo 6, it wouldn't surprise me if a 528 could beat a T6. The reason I say this is that the S80 is FWD, and will have trouble putting all that power to the ground in an acceleration test.

I actually like the exterior and inteiror of the s80. If it were RWD and around the same price, I'd be interested.

Also, BMW tends to be aggressive w/ their differential ratios-- and that helps in 0-60 type tests.

I wish Volvo still made RWD cars-- do you think there's a chance they'lll ever go back?

FireWalker
04-06-2005, 09:40 PM

http://www.modernracer.com/volvos80t6.html :thumbup:There are more factors to 0-60 acceleration than HP alone. But in any case, I find this Volvo comparison pointless.:eek:
Volvos are nice cars, but would anyone here REALLY pick a Volvo over an E39, even if it WERE slower?
BTW, .1 sec is a 10th of a sec, not a millisecond, and neither is that much significant in real life driving.

rdollie
04-06-2005, 11:20 PM
RWD Volvos again? Maybe, but doubtful. I suspect that with their new joint Dana/Getrag operation we'll see AWD standard (and something like SMG/DSG) on their next generation vehicles with tuning for rear of front bias as desired (the latest Haldex implementations can be tuned for front or rear bias default torque split so I suspect Volvo will go all AWD with front bias for most applications and rear for their high-pressure turbo applications.)

Even w/ a twin-turbo 6, it wouldn't surprise me if a 528 could beat a T6. The reason I say this is that the S80 is FWD, and will have trouble putting all that power to the ground in an acceleration test.

I actually like the exterior and inteiror of the s80. If it were RWD and around the same price, I'd be interested.

Also, BMW tends to be aggressive w/ their differential ratios-- and that helps in 0-60 type tests.

I wish Volvo still made RWD cars-- do you think there's a chance they'lll ever go back?

rdollie
04-06-2005, 11:23 PM
The reality is that neither is a true sports car. The E39 feels more rewarding particularly in the corners but all objective numbers (acceleration, skidpad, etc.) favor the Volvo S80 T6 and quite a few folks (enthusiast and others) have opted for the latter for various reasons (particularly those in snowy climates.)

There are more factors to 0-60 acceleration than HP alone. But in any case, I find this Volvo comparison pointless.:eek:
Volvos are nice cars, but would anyone here REALLY pick a Volvo over an E39, even if it WERE slower?
BTW, .1 sec is a 10th of a sec, not a millisecond, and neither is that much significant in real life driving.

BMW528i_Bilal
04-08-2005, 06:48 AM
What do guys think about the Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI????????????????

chivas
04-08-2005, 08:07 AM
What do guys think about the Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI????????????????

you got an EE degree? if not, don't even bother.

gojira-san
04-08-2005, 08:30 AM

BMW528i_Bilal
04-11-2005, 05:34 AM

not really, but considering its diesel and the fact i drive about 75,000km a year its not bad. Could a BMW 5 series come out in the future?

chivas
04-11-2005, 06:44 AM
not really, but considering its diesel and the fact i drive about 75,000km a year its not bad. Could a BMW 5 series come out in the future?

it's not the motor i'm talking about. MB motors are great, it's the little things like climate control, heated seats, etc...

BMW should be bringing over the diesel next year. its rumored (and possibly quite true) that the 330 deisel is going to be here in 2006. if that's the case, i'm going to get that! faster then the gasoline powered ones.

netdoc
04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
My 2 cents:

I had various models of MB in the past few years. Never owned a BMW unitl 2 weeks ago. I got a new 05 BMW 530i.

I have owned 2000 CLK430 cabriolet, 2003 SL500, 2003 CL500, and until recently 2004 S500 all with AMG Sport package, not the engine, but the appearances. As far the reliability goes, it is no diffrent than any other manufacturers. All european cars have some form of reliability issues, regardless of who, whether MB, Porsche, or BMW.
I love the way the MB are designed and comfort and luxury of a MB is just well done, at least with the cars I have owned.

As for Porsche, I have owned 2001 Boxster S and 2003 911 C2 Cabriolet. The best handling and fun cars to drive in my opinoin, but from the luxury and practicallity of day to day driving, it is just not there.

Now for BMW, I find my new 530i, very comfortable, luxurious, all the high tech gadgets and drives and handle better than my MB cars. It is a good compromise between Porsche and MB.

So, my pick in this comparison would be BMW... :)

BMW528i_Bilal
04-11-2005, 08:05 AM
it's not the motor i'm talking about. MB motors are great, it's the little things like climate control, heated seats, etc...

BMW should be bringing over the diesel next year. its rumored (and possibly quite true) that the 330 deisel is going to be here in 2006. if that's the case, i'm going to get that! faster then the gasoline powered ones.

I agree my father bought a brand-new basic 1983 mercedes-benz 240D, and kept it for 10 years with no problem, except he used blow the muffler every year because of the fact he reved the manual transmission because the car was underpowered (67hp). im guessing it would have done 0-100km in 20.0 seconds :rofl: Anyways, we can do without all these computer gadgets that would cause problems at the end. I hope a BMW diesel arrives in North America and should be offered in 3 and 5 series models. :)

BMW528i_Bilal
04-23-2005, 10:25 AM
the new 525i doesn't look bad, price wise. The new lexus gs looks amazing!

ketchup
04-23-2005, 10:38 AM
If you think their GS looks hot, check out their new IS. Rumor is, they might offer up to a IS450 class, which I believe features a V8 engine. And the "new supra," the LF-A, is unbelievably breathtaking. Truely a sports car, I would buy one in a heartbeat (if it were only that easy.) Lexus' future looks very bright :thumbup:

BMW528i_Bilal
04-23-2005, 03:24 PM
If you think their GS looks hot, check out their new IS. Rumor is, they might offer up to a IS450 class, which I believe features a V8 engine. And the "new supra," the LF-A, is unbelievably breathtaking. Truely a sports car, I would buy one in a heartbeat (if it were only that easy.) Lexus' future looks very bright :thumbup:

though not as bright as bmw's ex. new 3 series :)

BMW528i_Bilal
04-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Saw a Maserati quattroporte today, looks amazing. Check it out !

http://www.maserati.com/jsp/introSottosezione.jsp?menuKey=m50&category=%2Fmaserati%2Fcars%2Fquattroporte&BV_SessionID=@@@@0614873322.1114295292@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddegmlmkedcefeceegdgimdfmf.0

rdollie
04-25-2005, 11:29 AM
It's still a nice car but unless you like driving around in stripped cars the value proposition for the 525 isn't very good in my book (unless you like having your tail handed to you by Honda Accords.)

BMW528i_Bilal
04-25-2005, 09:13 PM
It's still a nice car but unless you like driving around in stripped cars the value proposition for the 525 isn't very good in my book (unless you like having your tail handed to you by Honda Accords.)

This what i don't understand, i have a 2000 bmw 528i and a 2001 525i with the exact same options would cost $2,000-$5000 less than a 2000 528 in market, why is that when both are samiler, only 9hp difference, big difference. The 528i and 530i are head to head when it comes to market value. My other question should be going for a 525i or a 530i???, i mean the only reason im considering a 525i is the price, and the fact its now much more powerful

GG
09-20-2005, 04:56 AM
I test drove all of these. The new BMW 5 series E60 is the hands down winner. It is the best car to drive: sporty, reliable, comfortable, luxurious and simple to operate. The quality of the interior, engine and finish are fantastic. The Japanese cars don't handle anywhere near as good. Had a 530 for 2 years now with no problems. Recently checked out some other cars and was amazed to find that the BMW still beats all of them easily.

I wanted to know what car you guys thought was better, the Lexus GS or BMW 5 series. I have heard many things about the new GS model but dunno, i used to think the Lexus Gs was ugly, people told me it was more reliable than the 5 series because the fact it was Japanese. I also looked into other competitors also BMW 5 Series .vs. Lexus GS .vs. jaguar S-type .Vs. Mercedes-Benz E-class .Vs. Volvo80 vs. audi a6, and etc to see which car is best in its class for LUXURY, PERFORMANCE, PRESTIGE. Right now the Volvo s80, BMW 5 series and Mercedes E-320CDI are my top three choices. Wanted to start a indept discussion about these cars with the people in this forum on these cars, and primarly compared to the 5 series. :) My family is planning to replace the 99 Mercedes-Benz e-320 within a year and we were looking at these cars, so what do you guys think???????

GG
09-20-2005, 04:58 AM
The 525 is good enough and delivers more power than you will need in most situations. You are better off getting a 525 with more extras than a 530. The 530 is only useful if you are in Germany and have the opportunity to drive at over 200 kmph on a regular basis.

This what i don't understand, i have a 2000 bmw 528i and a 2001 525i with the exact same options would cost $2,000-$5000 less than a 2000 528 in market, why is that when both are samiler, only 9hp difference, big difference. The 528i and 530i are head to head when it comes to market value. My other question should be going for a 525i or a 530i???, i mean the only reason im considering a 525i is the price, and the fact its now much more powerful

wagonman
09-20-2005, 03:27 PM
so much of the appeal of these cars is about looks and feel. lexus just doesnt get it. the new gs looks like an "egg". i dont like the rear end at all. from the front it looks ok. you just cant compare the japanese cars to the germans in terms of looks, feel etc. now, it terms of reliablity, ie problems? i am quite sure the lexus beats them all!

BMW528i_Bilal
09-28-2005, 09:01 AM
no matter how much i try to deny it, i can't stay away from BMW.

bmw325
10-05-2005, 10:01 AM

Could you re-phrase your questions? Your current wording doesn't make much sesne.

bmwguynj
10-08-2005, 05:55 AM
A loaded GS430 at this time can go for the same / similar price as well equipped 530i.

I would seriously consider a GS430, even more a 2007 GS450 (speculation of course - not the hybrid) over a current 530i. For that similar price you get a loaded GS with the big V8 and all the bells and whistles that you wished your 530i had. You are also talking about a higher class of vehicle since you are now in the 8 Cylinder engine range.

I went with the 530xi, since I needed AWD and it was a no brainer to get this over the boring GS300 AWD.

bmwguynj
10-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I wonder if anyone on here even considered the Volvo S80 out of these cars listed in this thread. It's a nice vehicle, if you are going to spend this much money on a vehicle, the first thing that comes to mind is NOT a Volvo. Although the Volvo XC90 with the new V8 seems intriguing.

rdollie
10-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I owned a '99 Volvo S80 T6 for about 70,000 miles (4 years.) They're very solid cars although the first two model years had their teething issues. However, aside from value since they sell at BIG discounts, there's not much going for this car. It's a solid performer and in T6 guise (now discontinued in lieu of the upcoming V8 variant) actually very quick off the line but it's the oldest car on the list here and it shows. The replacement will be out sometime next year and it'll be much more competitive then.

I've driven the XC90 V8 a couple of times and as SUVs go it's a real performer. Great utility/packaging, pretty good chassis handling characteristics, and a hair faster than the Cayenne S or X5 4.4. My wife and I will be looking for a SUV in the next couple of months and it is down to this one or possibly a Cayenne S. We'll see...

I wonder if anyone on here even considered the Volvo S80 out of these cars listed in this thread. It's a nice vehicle, if you are going to spend this much money on a vehicle, the first thing that comes to mind is NOT a Volvo. Although the Volvo XC90 with the new V8 seems intriguing.

bmwguynj
10-15-2005, 01:20 AM
I owned a '99 Volvo S80 T6 for about 70,000 miles (4 years.) They're very solid cars although the first two model years had their teething issues. However, aside from value since they sell at BIG discounts, there's not much going for this car. It's a solid performer and in T6 guise (now discontinued in lieu of the upcoming V8 variant) actually very quick off the line but it's the oldest car on the list here and it shows. The replacement will be out sometime next year and it'll be much more competitive then.

I've driven the XC90 V8 a couple of times and as SUVs go it's a real performer. Great utility/packaging, pretty good chassis handling characteristics, and a hair faster than the Cayenne S or X5 4.4. My wife and I will be looking for a SUV in the next couple of months and it is down to this one or possibly a Cayenne S. We'll see...

Thanks for the review on the XC90 SUV with the V8. They did a great job on this vehicle from the features and finally they enough power to back it up. The exterior looks good too, however I hear the quality is not very good on this particular Volvo, however hopefully since it's in another year of it's life, things have improved.

bmwguynj
10-15-2005, 01:27 AM
By the way the luxury vehicle competition is so good now and continues to get better, that when we continue to tout that BMW is the ultimate driving machine and is so much more fun to drive, we can not help but to start to think in the back of our heads is the $10K+ premium worth this fun factor? BMW options everything out and some of this should be standard.

Most of you including myself will say yes it is worth it (especially if money is not an issue), however as you get older and there are more priorities such as your kids' college educations, houses, etc.., then just the feeling that BMW is just more fun to drive really is not good enough when you can get a competitor's luxury vehicle for thousands less with similar specs and more standard features. It's sort of a compromise.

rdollie
10-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I think it depends on what you mean by quality. New Volvos tend to have small annoying nits that may require multiple trips to the dealer to finally fix (e.g., squealing brakes or a need for a software update to change a tranny shift issue) but they very rarely have serious issues that will leave you stranded. The good news is that most all Euro makes including Volvo tend to get better and better over the first few years after a model is introduced and the XC90 is no exception.

Thanks for the review on the XC90 SUV with the V8. They did a great job on this vehicle from the features and finally they enough power to back it up. The exterior looks good too, however I hear the quality is not very good on this particular Volvo, however hopefully since it's in another year of it's life, things have improved.

Madde
10-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Buy the GS! I have had nothing but trouble with my 2004 530i and neither the dealer or BMWNA has been able to fix the car (I have been to the service department six times in two years). While my brother's 2005 GS 300 may not be as fun to drive as my 530i, it's simply a better-built vehicle. In fact, I have had fewer problems with my 1999 RX 300 then my 530i and Lexus' service department is hands-down the best in the business.

dust
10-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Buy the GS! I have had nothing but trouble with my 2004 530i and neither the dealer or BMWNA has been able to fix the car (I have been to the service department six times in two years). While my brother's 2005 GS 300 may not be as fun to drive as my 530i, it's simply a better-built vehicle. In fact, I have had fewer problems with my 1999 RX 300 then my 530i and Lexus' service department is hands-down the best in the business.

That's an opinionated statement I hope. The service department in NY is atrocious. So again, it all depends where you are.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20537

However the money you spend is worth it because Lexus from general public experience is build to last forever. My other 92 LS 400 is 190.000 miles. I never once had a major problem. ( knock on wood ) People still think its a brand new car.

I am personally looking to switch to a BMW, see how my driving experience changes. But if you want something that lasts forever, get the newest LS 430. The machine is so smooth and offers you luxury and comfort like you never experienced before.

Madde I think you got unlucky because everyone is stating that the 2004 models had major software and other hardware glitches that needed to be resolved.

Madde
10-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Fair enough, the Lexus of Sacramento service department is quite good but I haven't dealt with other Lexus service departments, in part because the car never has problems.

Clearly my unlucky streak in continuing because although the software has been updated three times I received an "engine malfunction" warning on my drive home from work last night and I had to keep my foot on the gas at stoplights in order to prevent the car from stalling. Of course the warning did not come on this morning so the dealer doesn't know what to do. In my opinion the driving experience isn't worth the frustration.

porksoda
08-24-2007, 12:42 AM
BMW transmisions is NOT made by GM infact most german and most european car's transmisison is made by ZF AG.

w5lx
08-24-2007, 05:02 AM
BMW transmisions is NOT made by GM infact most german and most european car's transmisison is made by ZF AG.

You are mistaken my friend. The transmission in my 2007 328i is indeed made by GM, as are many transmissions of past models. I have owned 3 of them and they have all been great. Smooth, precise, with no problems at all. Some transmissions ARE made by ZF...such as the transmissions in the 335 Series.

porksoda
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
yes your 328 is not a zf.. but not most are gm/non zf... most older gens are zf...

here..

http://engineco.de/porksoda/zf.pdf

yahtzee
08-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I haven't found a more beautiful car for $60k. I'm sorry. This car is like the day I met my wife all over again.

RBP
08-26-2007, 03:07 PM

My experience has BMW more performance oriented from a handling and drive characteristic perspective (although AMG is just plain faster). Mercedes tends to have a little more in the prestige category and tends to be less common than a BMW thus giving it a bit more exclusivity. As for luxury, well Mercedes tends to be more comfortable in its drive characteristics thus giving it a feeling of luxury and plushness. Volvo will never get anyone to turn heads nor will the Lexus. Build quality and reliability are better on the lexus products than all of those other marques. Jaguar has a hangover from the days of being horrible in quality and has a little lower prestige factor being part of the Ford stables. Volvo does rate better for safety in all categories though all are quite good. As for looks....I don't reallly like any of them. They are 4 door sedans that all look pretty common but looks are in the eye of the beholder and others' opinion shouldn't be considered on that front.

All of the cars you mentioned are very good vehicles as you would expect in that price range and category. My advice is to go with the one that makes you "feel" better. Often times one car will just make you smile. If they all give you the same reaction, then go with the cheapest one.

If I had to pick one....well....probably the 535xi with the E550 4matic a close second. I'm still not convinced of the deisel just yet. It has too many down sides for the sake of saving a pretty small amount of fuel every year.

bmw101
08-26-2007, 03:23 PM
If you plan to get the 5 series, get 535 at least. 528 is no good. If you do plan to get 528 instead, I'd suggest you take the GS, any one of them.

GN2
08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
This is quite a discussion. Starting with the 5 series. Maybe I have been lucky so far, but I have not had problems with mine. Between the 5s I'll tell you what my dealer said when I test drove the cars. If you like the 528 (bottom level), compared to other makes do not drive the rest of the 5's I drove the the 530xi (now 535) and was very pleased. (About the 525, it was fine but nothing to write home about). I passed on the 550 because there was no all-wheel drive option, the additional 25k and I did not want to make this decision difficult. To me driving that would have been as silly as test driving a Porsche 911 or M5. There was no need to tempt myself (I have 2 kids).

As for MB, I didnt like anything as much as the 5 below the S class. I really didn't like the E class and I don't recall the E offering as much techology as the 5. In fact, I think it was more than the 5 almost equally equiped. If you're ooking to spend 90k+ try the S class, the M5 or the LS.

As for the GS I thought that it was nice, but some reason I just didnt want to spend less and have the GS rather than the 5. Nice technology, nice rear park assist, nice seats, but it didnt move me (figuratively) the way that the 5 did.

The S80 (2008) was not available when I made my decision. I had driven the 2007 version and thought that it was a nice car. Not stirring, not memorable, not exciting, but efficient. It is the car I typically rent with the S60. I have seen the new S80 and still find the styling lacking. That said, there is some nice techology and safety ratings to consider. I would not have bought the S80 and I get a deal on those cars.

S-Type. It was one of the first cars I looked at. I liked the styling, the interior, the ride and the fact that I did not see them driven as much as the 5s. Unfortunately, Jaguar did not offer the S-Type as a 4-wheel drive at the time. I do not think that that has changed. If you want to consider a nice rear wheel drive car look at the S-Type, specifically the S-Type R; that is if the 5 doesn't do it for you.

Last thing, prestige. If that is what you are looking for I do not really have any advice for you. After your friends and family see your car once they will think it is nice or not. What you will be left with is what makes you miss driving or enjoy driving. My 5 does that for me. I have been out of town for a month and can honestly say that I miss driving my car and look forward to doing it the day we return home. I can't equate it to meeting or marrying my wife or the birth of our beautiful and very intelligent children, but driving that car is pleasure. It will do until it is reasonable for me to get the Porsche.

bimmerbells
08-27-2007, 05:20 AM
I can't say I can get as emotional about a car as a person, but my 5er do rank ahead of the crap box of a computer I'm typing this on. LOL.

SteVTEC
08-27-2007, 05:59 AM
GM Hydramatics are some of the best automatic transmissions in the world. BMW has used them in the past, and are continuing to use them today. I've lost track of what's in what, but the 5L40E used to be in darn near everything. Can't believe you bumped a 2 year dead thread just to say that.

BMW318i_E36
08-31-2007, 09:18 PM
My big brother started this thread back 2.5 years ago, nice to know people are still commenting on it.

misscleo
09-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Any thoughts on comparability of Infitity F35 or M35/45? I'm trying to decide between Infinity and BMW 5 series (3 is too small).

BMW318i_E36
09-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Go for the 5 series, the Infinity to me, the interior looks to plasticy, and the exterior doesn't have much taste. The 5 series is the best choice !