PDA

View Full Version : x3 trailer brakes

gradyhall
03-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Where do you find the brake controler for the x3? Also I had the dealer inst. the bmw hitch and after I hooked up a trailer as soon as you touch the brakes the trailer brakes lock up. The brakes are not soposed to be hooked up. Has anyone else had this problem?
If anyone can help please email me at ghall88073@aol.com
Thanks,
Grady

bredi
03-21-2005, 11:32 PM
hi,
what do you mean?

you put on the brakes and they won't disengage?

or, they are working properly and you don't want the brakes to engage?

I'm about to tow...

thanks

gradyhall
03-22-2005, 06:18 AM
As I said as soon as the brake light comes on the trailer brakes lock up and the thailer tires are skiding. The trailer brakes will let go as soon as you take your foot off the X3 brake. But it is not possible to use it this way. I am going to take it back to bmw on Wed. for a look with the trailer. I have a Ford f250 and the brakes on the trailer work fine.

gradyhall
03-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Well I took it to bmw today and NO fix in sight they said that it was wired for europe trailes and that is a lot of bull so I fixed it my self. Just cut the black and white wire on the trailer conector on the x3 plug and all is well all lights work and no lock up of the trailer brakes.

Lanc3r
03-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Well I took it to bmw today and NO fix in sight they said that it was wired for europe trailes and that is a lot of bull so I fixed it my self. Just cut the black and white wire on the trailer conector on the x3 plug and all is well all lights work and no lock up of the trailer brakes.

I have never seen electric controlled trailer brakes. The wiring should just be for lights. On trailers Ive seen, There is a master cylinder just behind the hitch. It works by compressing when you use the X3 brakes the gravity of the trailer compresses the master cylinder causing the brakes to apply. You can adjust the tension of the brakes at the master cylinder, which should stop the locking up.

Reconnect your wires. That was your ground and running lights. Did you check all the lighting functions to make sure they still work?