PDA

View Full Version : Tire Problems

lisa1124
03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I bought my 2004 X3 in July (8 months old) and it has 9800 miles on it. My tire warning came on so I took it in for servicing. It turns out that both rear tires tread has completly worn down and they have to be replaced. This baffles me to no end. My dealership is trying to look into the problem but cannot find anything as of yet. Has this happened to anyone?

tonymey
03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Only 2000 miles so far,, what tires do you have ?, Mine came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42.

lisa1124
03-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Only 2000 miles so far,, what tires do you have ?, Mine came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42.
I'm not sure - it's whatever the factory put on them. I'll know when I pick it up this evening. It's costing me $650.00.

mkh
03-23-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure - it's whatever the factory put on them. I'll know when I pick it up this evening. It's costing me $650.00.
Are you serious? $650 replacing two tires? I really want to know what you are replacing with.

motordavid
03-24-2005, 05:06 AM
That's a very short time for tire life on Xs, under any driving conditions,imo. I'd guess tires were not inflated properly and/or ya'll have some suspension issue going on. And, buying tires from a Stlr?!
Whew...the parts dept was glad to see you.
GL,md
PS: try checking your inflation press. 1-2 month. The "tire warn" sys. is for soccer moms and turn key drivers.

BahnBaum
03-24-2005, 05:09 AM
I bought my 2004 X3 in July (8 months old) and it has 9800 miles on it. My tire warning came on so I took it in for servicing. It turns out that both rear tires tread has completly worn down and they have to be replaced. This baffles me to no end. My dealership is trying to look into the problem but cannot find anything as of yet. Has this happened to anyone?

Your tire warning came on? Do you mean the tire pressure light? During the 9800 miles, did you ever check your tire pressure?

If not, it could easily explain why you wore tread down and it has nothing to do with the vehicle.

Alex

dlflyboy
03-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I have 10k miles on my X3. I had them rotated at 5k. No problem with them. Still have plenty of tread left. Mine cane with the Bridgestone Terunzas.

blarker
03-30-2005, 06:31 AM

The answer: Problems with bushings.....i had the same thing on my X3 with 9400 miles..my car (under warranty) has been in the dealers hands for going on three days!!!! pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! take it to the dealer...my rear tires were completely completely shot when i took it in...they were shocked to see it

caffeinekid
11-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by lisa1124
I bought my 2004 X3 in July (8 months old) and it has 9800 miles on it. My tire warning came on so I took it in for servicing. It turns out that both rear tires tread has completly worn down and they have to be replaced. This baffles me to no end. My dealership is trying to look into the problem but cannot find anything as of yet. Has this happened to anyone
I too have an '04 X3 2.5i that has tire issues, only mine has balancing-like issues with the inside outer edge of the tires (meaning all 4 BTW) worn unevenly. The tire pressure indicator comes on now and then and when it does, I fill the tire(s) that has/have lost pressure and reset the indicator. This is odd to me considering how many cars I have had and this is the first one that has ever had this problem. I do check tire pressure occasionally, but even my 96 318ti that I regularly drive at 80mph doesn't lose pressure as often as the X3. I suspect something to do with the build of the vehicle (being AWD and such) but the dealership claims that they have no complaints of such issues. Hmmm.....after all, I found this forum via a websearch of "BMW X3" and "tire problems". Sure enough, I am not the only one. I think that this time I will INSIST that they look into it further. Those tires are $165/ea and after only 20K, they should have AT LEAST another 10K to go before replacement.

Once again to reiterate.....this is the ONLY vehicle that I have ever owned that had suspiciously pre-mature tire wear. Being a technician myself and very maintenance oriented, I believe that there is something more to this. Oh yeah, the tires are the Bridgestone Turanza EL42s.

AzNMpower32
11-13-2005, 10:14 AM
It could be that u should check tire inflation pressure at least once a month b/c underinflated tires lead to excess wear. AND remember to reset the TPMS everytime you adjust inflation pressures.

I'm still surprised that they're worn down that quickly though. My Pirelli Scorpion STRs have almost 17k miles and they'll live over the winter. They have like 50% life left and that's with the occasional hard cornering on the backroads. :D

Rick480
11-14-2005, 08:37 AM
My X3 turned over 18.000 last weekend and the tires, Pirellis, still look new. I have checked and adjusted inflation regularily, don't depend on the inflation warning indicator, and followed BMW recommendations by NOT rotating them.

Of course I must also drive pretty conservative by X3 standards because I get 25-28 MPG on the highway and 20-23 in town. The other night I got 32 on a 100 mile drive with a strong tailwind.

pipo
11-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I would be willing to bet that lisa has the Bridgestones. If you read just the first few reviews on Tire Rack's website, you'll discover that these tires are almost universally reviled for premature treadwear, poor wet traction and poor hydroplaning resistance. I find it amazing that they are even on the market. Even more amazing is that Bridgestone obviously knows how to make a good tire: why did they make such a horrible tire and sell it OEM to BMW and Acura?

I suspect that most if not all of the reported bushing, balancing and suspension problems have everything to do with the Bridgestone tires and nothing to do with the X3. Just stealers doing what stealers do: looking for problems they can "fix."

If it were me, I'd insist on full replacement of all four Bridgestones at no or reduced cost. That is apparently what some Acura dealers are doing.

LA X3
11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
How could tire failure at 9800 miles not be a warranty or "full maintenance" issue? Either the tires are bad or the car is causing them to fail - neither is the buyer's fault, particularly with a tire pressure warning indicator in place and observed.