PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch

DUCTTAPE
03-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Has anyone mounted an aftermarket trailer hitch to their X3? If so, may I ask, which, and how was the install? Dealer wants $700-something, and I don't think that's happening.

The first weekend I had my cab I took the whole front end off to mount the Alta lamps. Drilled into the frame and all.

My wife, who was 'pre-BMW' then, asked "ah, isn't this a new car? Why is it all over the garage?"

Now that she's doing the X3, it's "can you install the trailer hitch and you have lamps, why don't I?"

Man, I do love her.

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/Assets/Images/Light_Bar02.jpg

ERdoc
03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
I just ordered this Curt Mfg. hitch from a place in Florida I found on the internet: http://www.bageco.com/hitchlistscurt/hitchlistcu_bmw.htm -- can't beat the price: $101.21! I'll let you know how it looks once I get it, but it sounds like Curt Mfg. is the company that makes the hitch for BMW. Shipping is only $23 and I've already spoken with a local place that installs hitches and was told that they would install it for me for around $27, even if it involves removing the rear bumper. So for around $150 installed, it seems a better deal than the one from BMW. But then again, who knows. Maybe I'll find out that I have to buy a $300 wiring harness from BMW before I can install it...

DUCTTAPE
03-24-2005, 06:51 PM
I just ordered this Curt Mfg. hitch from a place in Florida I found on the internet: http://www.bageco.com/hitchlistscurt/hitchlistcu_bmw.htm -- can't beat the price: $101.21! I'll let you know how it looks once I get it, but it sounds like Curt Mfg. is the company that makes the hitch for BMW. Shipping is only $23 and I've already spoken with a local place that installs hitches and was told that they would install it for me for around $27, even if it involves removing the rear bumper. So for around $150 installed, it seems a better deal than the one from BMW. But then again, who knows. Maybe I'll find out that I have to buy a $300 wiring harness from BMW before I can install it...

lol, please, let me know. Especially the $300 harness part

d

ERdoc
03-25-2005, 08:28 AM
As it turns out, I did have to buy the wiring harness from BMW (apparently it's the only one that will work). It normally retails for $183, but fortunately both Pacific BMW in California and Circle BMW in New Jersey sell it for under $150. I went with Circle only because the shipping costs were around $10 less since I'm in NY.

///M Blitz
04-09-2005, 07:01 AM
As it turns out, I did have to buy the wiring harness from BMW (apparently it's the only one that will work). It normally retails for $183, but fortunately both Pacific BMW in California and Circle BMW in New Jersey sell it for under $150. I went with Circle only because the shipping costs were around $10 less since I'm in NY.

Can you please post the part number for that wiring harness.

ERdoc
04-11-2005, 07:44 PM
I got the part number for the wiring harness from Pacific BMW's website: 71-60-0-303-881.

BTW I had the hitch installed today. It took the installer a little longer than they thought because they had problems removing the rear bumper and neither the aftermarket hitch or BMW's wiring harness showed how things were supposed to be hooked up. Finally after 3 hours they got the thing pretty much figured out and the install looks great. They only charged me for a little over an hour's labor (came out to $76) total but I have to go back once I find out where I'm supposed to connect this one last part (a small white box about the size of a pack of cards that, once connected, will allow the turn signals to work on the hitch). I don't suppose there's anyone out there who knows where this device is supposed to be plugged in? I'm going to call Circle BMW tomorrow to see if they can fax me the info of where it goes.

Oh, one more thing. Apparently BMW made a another change to the 2005 X3 -- they didn't have to cut the bumper at all, the area where the hitch is exposed had a removable section that just snapped out (so it could be replaced if I ever decided to remove the hitch theoretically). Overall I'm very pleased.

anderp
04-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Not sure on the X3, but on my Land Rover Discovery, I had to remove the rear taillight assembly and it plugged inline with the wiring behind it. Rear, right, passenger side.

Paul

///M Blitz
04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I got the part number for the wiring harness from Pacific BMW's website: 71-60-0-303-881.

BTW I had the hitch installed today. It took the installer a little longer than they thought because they had problems removing the rear bumper and neither the aftermarket hitch or BMW's wiring harness showed how things were supposed to be hooked up. Finally after 3 hours they got the thing pretty much figured out and the install looks great. They only charged me for a little over an hour's labor (came out to $76) total but I have to go back once I find out where I'm supposed to connect this one last part (a small white box about the size of a pack of cards that, once connected, will allow the turn signals to work on the hitch). I don't suppose there's anyone out there who knows where this device is supposed to be plugged in? I'm going to call Circle BMW tomorrow to see if they can fax me the info of where it goes.

Oh, one more thing. Apparently BMW made a another change to the 2005 X3 -- they didn't have to cut the bumper at all, the area where the hitch is exposed had a removable section that just snapped out (so it could be replaced if I ever decided to remove the hitch theoretically). Overall I'm very pleased.

And you had the Curt Mfg. hitch installed, right? I take it from you description that it is in fact OEM like. Is that a correct assumption?

TIA.

Rick480
04-13-2005, 02:28 PM
I installed a Factory hitch in 2 hours in my driveway. It is an easy job and comes with great instructions. No special tools required. I could do a second one in 1-1/2 hours tops.
My dealer said 7 hours or something rediculous like that. If you want I can e-mail you the .pdf bmw instructions. They say "Suggested Installation time 1-1/2 hours.

ERdoc
04-18-2005, 12:22 AM
And you had the Curt Mfg. hitch installed, right? I take it from you description that it is in fact OEM like. Is that a correct assumption?

TIA.

From what I can tell it is identical to the factory hitch, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same hitch that is sold to BMW and they just slap their name on it. Would explain why it is so much cheaper (eliminating the middle-man so to speak)

Oh, and after examining the hitch further I noticed that they actually did have to cut the inner side of the bumper (not anything you would notice unless you got down on your hands and knees and looked for it).

Oh and I found out where the trailer hitch module plugs in, very easy. Nonetheless if anyone else is planning on doing the install using the Curt hitch, it would be nice if someone posted the pdf file for the OEM installation instructions. Thanks.

Laosk
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
If you want I can e-mail you the .pdf bmw instructions.

Could you post them here so more people could have a look see?

Thanks!
:thumbup:

dherzfeld
04-18-2005, 03:23 PM
So the all-in price for the hitch install (non-dealer) is:

Curt Mfg. hitch assembly: $125
Wiring Harness/Box from BMW Dealer: $160 for P/N 71-60-0-303-881
Install Labor (unless you do it yourself): $75-$100

Roughly $360-$400?

And someone will include a link to the DIY Instructions provided by BMW?

Let's see some pics from someone who has done the installation!!

chas0
04-22-2005, 05:51 AM
please do send anything you think could get me thru the install! thanks.

Rick480
04-25-2005, 09:26 AM
I tried to upload the .pdf of the BMW installation instructions. It was to big and I could not upload it to this site.

Rick480
04-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Here are the BMW X3 hitch installation instructions. I zipped to make small enough to post, and then renamed .zip file to .pdf to post. You will need to download, rename to .zip, unzip and read with pdf viewer.

Laosk
04-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Here are the BMW X3 hitch installation instructions. I zipped to make small enough to post, and then renamed .zip file to .pdf to post. You will need to download, rename to .zip, unzip and read with pdf viewer.

Thanks!

sfca-325i
04-26-2005, 11:34 AM

That worked great.

BTW, the first step references RA 51 12 156 (instructions on how to remove the bumper). Did you have this document or was bumper removal intuitive?

TIA

Rick480
04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
The removal and replacement of the bumper was quite simple. There are 3-4 screws that are obvious, and then it basically snaps off by sliding backwards. I didn' t have the instructions and I was nervious about this part, but it was quite intuitive.

sfca-325i
04-27-2005, 11:15 AM
The removal and replacement of the bumper was quite simple. There are 3-4 screws that are obvious, and then it basically snaps off by sliding backwards. I didn' t have the instructions and I was nervious about this part, but it was quite intuitive.

c_ralph
04-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Once the wiring harness is installed, does the electronic control system need to be reset or modified?

My dealer implied the system needs to be "calibrated" for the voltage monitoring features to work, hence the cost. Is the dealer just trying to scare me from the DIY job? I guess there were some issues with rack shops splicing wiring harnesses.

Thanks.

hawzmolly
05-01-2005, 04:55 PM

There seems to be a problem with being able to view this file. It may be to old or not held on the board server. Would you send me a copy of this zip file. I will accept an email via this board.

TIA

Rick480
05-02-2005, 07:03 AM
The BMW wiring Harness is plug and drive. There is nothing to "calibrate". All the harness's and the connectors are there, right where the instructions say they will be.

ERdoc
05-04-2005, 09:36 AM
I never had anything "calibrated" on my partial aftermarket setup and it seems to work fine. I've towed an 18' boat and a golf cart on a trailer and all the lights worked perfectly and it towed great.