PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a 2005 3.0L X3

rdarolfi001
03-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Hello, I am considering leasing a new 2005 3.0L X3 and am looking for some feedback based on experiences. I have the following concerns:
1) Wind noise- based on complaints, about the sunroof mainly, on this website. Would you suggest not to get a sunroof?
2) Price- pretty expensive for a small SUV. Is it worth the money?
3) Suspension- I have heard that the passenger side suspension is not very comfortable. Any comment?
4) Interior- concerns over economically induced instruments/dials/interior to save costs. Is this true?
5) Space- I am 6'2 and am worried about space, although my wife who is 5'6 and petit will do 75% of the driving. Do you find the X3 small?
6) Overall impressions?
If you can share your thoughts on any of the above, I would appreciate it.

gradyhall
03-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi we have had ours for 5 mo now and it is great no wind noise to speak of plenty of room in the front seats. The int gauges ect are fine not as many as some cars but it is fine. I am very please with the car we get 18.5 -19 mgh in town. We do have the large sun roof. Do not get the sports package it rides a lot ruffer.

ICEBERG
03-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Wind noise- Have not noticed anything yet. Great so far.

Suspension- I don't have the sport package and even with the regular suspension it is a harsh ride. Little on the rough side but you will get use it.

Price- Worth every single penny. Just don't go over board with the upgrades. Get what you need.

Interior- Lots of room for a family. People complain about the interior quality but i actually like the rough sporty look. I am 6' and there is lot of room.

Overall. :thumbup:

Good luck.

rrinker
03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Just got an X3 3.0 last week, so far no complaints on wind noise, and I've had it up to speeds where people are complaining about this. Handling is great (I do NOT have the Sport package).
Plenty of space, too. I'm 6' and can crank the seat all the way up as high as it goes and STILL have room above my head. My old E36 328 this is not.

--Randy

bluegarvis
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Hello, I am considering leasing a new 2005 3.0L X3 and am looking for some feedback based on experiences. I have the following concerns:
1) Wind noise- based on complaints, about the sunroof mainly, on this website. Would you suggest not to get a sunroof?
3) Suspension- I have heard that the passenger side suspension is not very comfortable. Any comment?
4) Interior- concerns over economically induced instruments/dials/interior to save costs. Is this true?
5) Space- I am 6'2 and am worried about space, although my wife who is 5'6 and petit will do 75% of the driving. Do you find the X3 small?
6) Overall impressions?

We have an '04 2.5. I recently spent several weeks with an '05 3.0 loaner with very similar options to my car.
1. Sunroof wind noise was noticably less in the '05 than my '04. I do not know the reasoning for this. My '04 is not bad but the '05 was was very good in this area.
2. Lot's of deals out there right now for '05's. While it is true the car costs more than similar sized cars, the driving experience leaves EVER OTHER CAR in its dust.
3. AS noted by the poster before me, do not get the sport suspension if you are concerned about ride quality. If you are looking for a ride similar to the Chevy Trailblazer or Lexus RX330, you are looking at the wrong car. This vehicle rides like it is a sport sedan, specifically not like an SUV.
4. I find the interior to be adequate. Is it RX330 nice? no. Is it purposeful? Yes. Is it efficient, Yes. Does do everything you need it to? Of course.
5. Cannot comment here. I am 5'8, my wife is 5'4. Us and our 3 kids (18, 18, 15 yo) find the car comfortable.
6. I am more impressed with the car than when I bought it. I went to the dealer to buy a CPO 330 sedan. For similar money, the additional room is unbelievable. Further the driving dynamics are true to BMW's heritage.

As to differences between '04 and '05... as has been much discussed, bluetooth functionality with assist is the biggest wish I had. There is a new door open idicator on the '05 dash plus the dash is now more a true black than grey/black. On the loaner a warning beep activated after 30 seconds to a minute of driving reminding me to put on my seat belt. I drove for 3-4 minutes listening to it to see if it went away. It didn't. And that is a good thing.

The one item I highly recommend (surprisingly so because I thought this was just a gimmick) is the adaptive headlights. Simply the single most astonishingly great option on the car. To see around corners when driving at night is something you have to experience to understand how awesome and exceptional the experience is.

Good luck with your decision!

pipo
03-24-2005, 01:51 PM
6) Overall impressions?

1. Some X3s have apparently had problems with excessive wind noise, but I don't think it's going to be an issue at all with new production 2005s, because the seals are being redesigned.

2. Value is in the mind of the buyer. I don't think there's another SUV (SAV) out there that holds a candle to the X3. It has amazing handling characteristics, especially for a vehicle with a higher center of gravity than cars, and it puts most cars to shame. I personally love it, and so does my wife. But if the "ultimate driving machine" feel is not what you or your wife are looking for, then it's probably not a good value for you. If it is, you won't even think about value; there's nothing like it.

3. This is related to 2 above. The ride is sporty, which means that it is more taut than the typical passenger car. I don't think it has anything to do with the passenger side suspension per se. It's the entire set up that is sportier than most. This is even more true of the sports suspension option.

We have the non-sport suspension, and for the most part, we find the ride to be very comfortable. However, there have been times, over certain road surfaces, that the ride has been unpleasant. For example, driving on the potholed streets of NYC is not ideal for this vehicle. Our driving is mostly on country roads, both paved and unpaved, and here, the X3 shines.

4. This is not a typically luxurious interior. I would call it more minimalist/modernist, with graceful curves and pleasing shapes in general. It's truly a matter of taste; you either like it or you don't, your choice. I will say that the plastics could use a slight upgrade, but this is only a minor quibble.

5. My father-in-law is 6'5'', and he fits very comfortably. For the exterior dimensions of the vehicle, the interior space is large and well-designed. Plenty of leg and head room, both front and back, although the rear seat leg room will be compromised if you put the front seat all the way back to accomodate your legs.

6. My favorite BMW was a '70s vintage Bavaria that I drove in the early 80s. The X3 has the classic BMW feel similar to the BMWs of old, but it is loaded with invisible technological advances that make the vehicle virtually bulletproof in difficult driving conditions (e.g., x-drive, dynamic stability control, adaptive braking, etc.). For me, this is a wonderful vehicle. I can drive it aggressively on back roads when I'm alone and have a blast, yet it serves as a perfect family vehicle that I feel very confident will provide the best available protection to my wife and daughter. In brief, a great vehicle.

jk330i
03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
6) Overall impressions?

1. The panoramic moonroof is a must!
2. Price is justified once you get behind the wheel and it brings you pure smile. IMHO, best looking SAV in its class.
3. My comment for the passenger side is because there is no steering wheel to hold onto. Have them hold onto the handle bar.
4. Interior is fair enough, it's simple and has class.
5. I'm 6'2" and I feel there's plenty of space.
6. Overall everything seems good. The handling is very BMW-ish, wet handling is better than my 3-er, looking forward to testing it in the snow. The X3 drives and handles like a car, sometimes I forget I'm hauling an SAV/SUV.

judybe83
03-24-2005, 10:16 PM
we've had our left over 04 for a few weeks

1. no wind noise, the sun roof is great
2. like all leases research research & watch those miles, our 04 was several k$'s under sticker
3. it's stiffer than my 300zxtt but she likes it, she was driving an I30 :rolleyes:
4. true
5. 6'2 will not be a problem front or back
6. she "really " likes the X3 i'm a little disappointed in #'s 3 and 4, cheep plastic and no STANDARD garage door opener

tonymey
03-24-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm 6'3 and the wife is 5'1 and we both feel very comfortable in this SAV.
I love the sunroof and think it is not that bad on the noise department, my complaint is around the doors and tire/road noise, especially at high speeds (over 75 mph).
Suspension are stiff or stiffer, your choice, I say stay with the stiff. You'll come to apprieciate it's road holding abilities. But if you want a Plush ride look else were.
I find the interior to be elegant, nicely though out and modern. I find no fault in it and cannot understand certain people call it cheap plastic, :mad:

This X3 were created to be an SAV, and it exceeds in that department. ( best 4 wheel drive around). And to put icing on the cake it has the BMW road handling blood. I've own BMWs for over 15 years and love the way the look, handle and run. That said if you just need and runabout small SUV with soft suspension and one that blends in with the rest of the small SUVs and less expensive look at an Escape, If you want some excitement, serious off road abilities, decent room, smooth engine, sporty SAV go for the X3. You'll pay more but you'll be driving a BMW and will always be looking for the long way home. :thumbup:

sfca-325i
03-25-2005, 08:05 AM
6) Overall impressions?

We have a 2004 and would respond to your questions as follows:

1) Get the panaramic roof. That's one of joys of the car. On a sunny, warm day with that huge sheet of glass rolled all the way back, it's a joy.
2) Yes, and that comes from my perspective of owning another SUV and previously owning a Toyota Landcruiser.
3) Have heard that the 2005 suspension was tweaked to improve the ride quality. Agree with everyone else's posts. Recgonize that there is an inherent trade off, once you build a vehicle with a center of gravity as high as this car, that quite a bit of suspension stiffness is required to maintain the car's agility. In city driving over San Francisco's pot holed streets, it can be taxing.
4) Interior is spartan and designed for an active lifestyle, i.e., slide the bikes in the back / pack in the dogs / etc. The X5 would be a better choice if your interest run more toward wood grain.
5) The X3 is my wife's car and she is 5'3". She loved her 325i because it was so easy to drive. She says the X3 has a similar feel, particularly when compared with the Landcruiser and the Pilot. We migrated from the 325i because the rear seat foot room was just too limited for my son, who was constantly kicking the back of the seat when I drove. The X3 is much better, in this regard, but the negative is that the seating position for back seat passengers is not as comfortable as the 325i. The one feature that my wife and daughter have really come to appreciate - since the car is driven almost exclusively in the city, is the servotronic steering.

Without a doubt, it is a driver's suv.

:thumbup:

jk330i
03-25-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't understand people who state that the interior is made of cheap plastics.
The materials they've used on the X3 is very similar to what was used on my previous e46 330i. The same exact thing, just the gauges are a bit different and the panoramic sunroof is amazing. Some people have no clue.

szuszu
03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I am in a similar position. I am slowly gettng ready to switch, but decided to wait till summer to find out the 2006 changes in X3.

I am basically down to 2 cars:
X3 3.0 or Infiniti FX35

Both are great performance "SAV"s I think. I still did not make up my mind and will be test driving both in succession soon. Performance wise I think FX35/X3 are very close. I am more drawn to FX35 exterior styling, though I think I like the "driver's view" better in X3 as FX has longer more pronounced hood. Overall FX interior still wins for me thanks to the better Nav and other tech geeky things, though I like the controls layout better in X3.

szuszu
03-25-2005, 01:53 PM
In reply to my own post:
I am also still considering the redesigned Audi A4 as an alternative to both. I like the car, but wanted to have a small sporty SUV though the recent gas prices are putting a sporty sedan back in the consideration.

iChick
03-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm very happy with the X3. I took it skiing this week and had the opportunity to do some driving in the snow. Wow - what a difference the X drive makes. This vehicle is definitely "at home" in that weather.

I don't have any of the wind noise that some have mentioned, and space-wise it isn't that much different than the X5.

This is my 4th BMW and I just love the way it handles. It feels safe and is a joy to drive.

ScottLive5
03-25-2005, 07:46 PM
I am basically down to 2 cars:X3 3.0 or Infiniti FX35
We have both...The FX35 is quite firm but not harsh, the X3 3.0 is actually more nimble and about as fast, the FX is much like a sports car where the exhaust tone is exhilarating,
Yes the Nav in the Infiniti is very good, don't have it in the bimmer.
The service is included with the BMW, a big plus.
the Fx with Nav was over $5K more than my wife's X3.
I think Fx's the styling is more striking but doesn't have the pedigree or panache of the BMW.
Both are fun to drive.

The lease deal was MUCH better on the X3 as BMW has an awesome residual value.

good luck, Scott

szuszu
03-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks Scott. To be honest I stopped looking at cars from a "pedigree and panache" perspective. I like driving a lot, I am not a professional race driver to be able to detect subtle differences. For me it comes down to which car "I" am more comfortable driving (not the reviewers), and the car that has the right balance of tech gadgets I like (Nav and others) and cool and luxurious interior.

I agree with you that X3 is probably more nimble. This is what is drawing me to it. FX feels little bit to big for my tastes. I have few months to figure out what it's going to be. I think when I price the options I want on both cars they come out very similar. I get VPP discount on Nissans while I would probably do Euro delivery for X3 if I went with that. And in the end I wish Audi was not so late to the smal SAV game and came out with Q5 earlier than 2007... Though I have to admit my weaknes for Audis and Q5 would probably be on top of my list as I bet it would be taking the good points from both FX and X3 for me.

BTW I just looked at the New York auto show announcements and I believe that perhaps the balance of "power" is not shifting but it's evening out. New BMW 3/Audi A4/Lexus IS/Infiniti G35 are all very close. I think Infiniti (Nissan) and Lexus (Toyota) mean serious business and I am happy. This spells better competition and will in the end benefit us customers. I think if it wasn't for the Japs, the Germans would not start putting in all kinds of cool technology in their cars. If it wasnt' for the Germans on the other side Lexus would not come out with IS350 AWD with 300HP/287Torque that apparently has gas milage in UPPER 20ies!!!!....

acitydweller
05-01-2005, 09:08 PM
just to play devils advocate, has anyone driven a honda pilot and compared it to what u get in a comparably priced x3?