Plaz
03-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Anyone gots?

Please PM.

TIA.

rumratt
03-26-2005, 10:15 AM
:rofl:

Sucker. :p Just get a supercharger now, and satisfy that thirst once and for all.

Plaz
03-26-2005, 10:42 AM
:rofl:

Sucker. :p Just get a supercharger now, and satisfy that thirst once and for all.

:flipoff: :rofl:

Damn supercharger would cost as much as two of your E30s. :lmao:

What finally swung me on the diff waffle was the opinion of an old-school bimmerphile I know... he put a 3.76 (?) in his E28 (that has an E34 engine/tranny). He immediately said to me "Do it! It will be the best mod you've ever done."

He agreed with all the theory with regard to shift points, overall speed, etc... but said the FEEL of a diff swap throws all the theory out the window. It just feels great, according to him.

That's all I needed. :thumbup:

rumratt
03-26-2005, 10:49 AM
the FEEL of a diff swap throws all the theory out the window. It just feels great, according to him.

That's all I needed. :thumbup:

Sounds good to me. :thumbup: Let me know how it goes.

You installing it yourself? :eek:

:rofl: :p

Plaz
03-26-2005, 10:51 AM
You installing it yourself? :eek:

I'm still waffling on that, but honestly, it's probably pretty unlikely. I'm still patting myself on the back for my successful brake pad replacement... which took roughly 1,483 times longer than it should have. :rofl:

Dr. Phil
03-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Nice choice in mod :thumbup: You will like the pop you get from that one....I did as well as those REs you have :cry: :(

Kaz
03-26-2005, 11:38 AM
What's stopping you at 3.38? There are at least 2 even shorter ratios to aim for!

Plaz
03-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Nice choice in mod :thumbup: You will like the pop you get from that one....I did as well as those REs you have :cry: :(

:thumbup:

I just may see the good Dr. Liaw in Ho-Ho-Kus for this, if the timing works out. I have to find a freaking diff first, though. :rofl:

Plaz
03-28-2005, 07:55 AM
What's stopping you at 3.38? There are at least 2 even shorter ratios to aim for!

I'd like more usable torque off the line, but I don't need to pave my driveway with expensive Bridgestone rubber. :D

Looking at gearing calculators, 3.38 just seems like a good balance. Looks to me like what it should have come with from the factory, for the US market anyway. Without a sixth gear, 3.46 might be a little tiresome on the highway, and anything shorter than that would be just silly, I think.

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-28-2005, 08:06 AM
My 323 will be getting a 3.62 LSD eventually, I think.

It's all about time in gear...

wheel-man
03-28-2005, 08:11 AM
I'd like more usable torque off the line, but I don't need to pave my driveway with expensive Bridgestone rubber. :D

Looking at gearing calculators, 3.38 just seems like a good balance. Looks to me like what it should have come with from the factory, for the US market anyway. Without a sixth gear, 3.46 might be a little tiresome on the highway, and anything shorter than that would be just silly, I think.

where are you looking at to purchase?

Plaz
03-28-2005, 08:37 AM
where are you looking at to purchase?

Anywhere I can get a good one at a reasonable price... have you a lead?

wheel-man
03-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Anywhere I can get a good one at a reasonable price... have you a lead?

bimmerworld and koala racing is what i've found so far. wondering if quaife makes one... heard anything?

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-28-2005, 09:15 AM
bimmerworld and koala racing is what i've found so far. wondering if quaife makes one... heard anything?
There is no quaife.

I think Plaz was just lookign for a 3.38 open diff, though.

Plaz
03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
There is no quaife.

I think Plaz was just lookign for a 3.38 open diff, though.

Correct... as much as I'd like an LSD, I'm looking to spend hundreds, not thousands.

powerdrift
04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7966187235&category=33731&sspagename=WDVW

Plaz
04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7966187235&category=33731&sspagename=WDVW

Hey, thanks... but I don't think that's a 3.38, and I found one already anyway... just waiting for it to get here. :thumbup:

Moderato
05-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Post a review as soon as you get it. I've been thinking about going with the 3.38 but I've been going crazy reading all this theory on shift points, road speed in each gear, & redline and I just don't want the car to feel faster but not actually be faster. Where are you going to get it installed? If you know someone good I'd like to know because I want someone who knows what the're doing for this job.

Plaz
05-26-2005, 06:06 PM
It's still sitting in a box in my garage.

I'm going to install it myself one of these weekends.

Moderato
05-27-2005, 06:10 AM
It's still sitting in a box in my garage.

I'm going to install it myself one of these weekends.

Where did you get it? How many miles? Hurry up and install it, I want to know if you start pulling away from other cars any faster then now, or if it just makes the car "feel" faster. :)

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Post a review as soon as you get it. I've been thinking about going with the 3.38 but I've been going crazy reading all this theory on shift points, road speed in each gear, & redline and I just don't want the car to feel faster but not actually be faster. Where are you going to get it installed? If you know someone good I'd like to know because I want someone who knows what the're doing for this job.
If the car wasn't actually faster, then why would a diff change be among the first things people do in race cars?

Pinecone
05-27-2005, 07:14 AM
If the car wasn't actually faster, then why would a diff change be among the first things people do in race cars?

You know that the street people KNOW more about making a car faster than race teams. :)

·clyde·
05-27-2005, 07:23 AM
You know that the street people KNOW more about making a car faster than race teams. :)
small but measureable improvements on a race car are meanigful. The same can't always be said for street cars...especially when there are trade offs that affect useage as a regular road car that are nonexistant or inconsequential on a race car.

And a real racer would have a different dif for each track where he runs, not to mention a different set of transmission gear ratios as well.

:p

Moderato
05-27-2005, 07:29 AM

Because even though I'm getting to speed faster my gears are running out of room at a lower road speed, so I want to make sure I choose a good ratio. I know you've recommended not getting anything less then a 3.38 for my 330i, but I don't want to go through all of this and not be happy with the change. I don't want to be reving the **** out of first gear and only going 25mph. As it is now with my 2.93 I can take 1st up to almost 40mph and 2nd well over 60mph. So I've been thinking about a 3.15 because it's recommended by Dinan and also the choice of BMW for the E90 which has the same 6MT ratios as my 04 E46 6MT. BMW also raises the redline for the ZHP with the 3.07 to 6800rpms and the E90 with the 3.15 gets a 7K redline, both of those cars have the same 6MT as I do. So I'm afraid to go as short as a 3.38 with a 6.5K redline. As far as I know there is no software available for 04's and if there is I'd be leary to change the BMW programming. I want my 330i to be more responsive. I often find that unless I'm at 4K or higher it just doesn't have that pull that I want, I'm thinking this can be address with gearing but all I know about it is what I read on these forums. Of course I can sell my 330i and get an M3 and be done with it, but then I'm going to miss my 330i steering. :rolleyes: I just want my 330i to have more pull and I don't want to supercharge it.