PDA

View Full Version : cell charger

MPoWeRMAN
03-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Dont you hate having your cell charger wire getting all over the place? Dont you hate having to have the ash tray door open just to have your cell charger connected? A trip to Radio Shack and $10 took care of it for me. I bought a 12v outlet and a pack of rubber gromets, removed the center console storage compartment, connected the 12v outlet to the 12v outlet for the rear passengers (soldering of course), then connected my cell charger, drilled a hole next to the e-brake, ran the charger through, inserted the gromet (which keeps the charger from falling back through, and I was done!! Now, if you have a small connector for your charger, this will work for you, if you have one of those big connectors, it might not work. Now, my cell phone rests on top of the e-brake when I drive, and I set it up to give me about 10 inches of slack incase I need to pick up the phone(I never need to lift it up to my ear since I have bluetooth), and the best thing, no wires to worry about. The connector easily slides 10 inches in and out!! A successful weekend project completed.

climrgrl
03-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Nice job!

I bought a 12v outlet and a pack of rubber gromets, removed the center console storage compartment, connected the 12v outlet to the 12v outlet for the rear passengers (soldering of course)
Am I understanding this right? Did you add another 12V outlet at the same time? If so, do you have a picture of that installation? How many 12V outlets does the stock X3 have, and where are they?

MPoWeRMAN
03-27-2005, 08:26 AM
the X3 comes with 3 12v outlets, one in the back cargo area, one up front in the ash tray, and one for the rear passengers on the bottom of the center console, I added a 4th by splicing into the one for the rear passengers, if you lift out the center console storage tray, you get access to the connection for the outlet, so it is completly hidden now under that tray. That little door that pops open for the rear passengers outlet also comes off, I can snap a pic later on of that if you would like!!

climrgrl
03-27-2005, 10:12 AM
I can snap a pic later on of that if you would like!!
I'd love to see a picture. With radar detectors, cell phone chargers, and iPods, you can't have too many 12V outlets!

MPoWeRMAN
03-27-2005, 11:31 AM
ok, in the pic of the center console with the tray removed, I circled where I placed the new 12v outlet, you can see my charger plugged into it, it fit perfectly under the metal bracket, and in the pic from the rear outlet, I circled where I spliced into the other outlet for power, hope that helps!!!

Kaz
03-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Um, your sig is TOO HUGE. I'm using a SXGA+ display and it's taking up the whole page.

MPoWeRMAN
03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
funny you say that, cause its actually smaller on my pc, but when I uploaded it, somehow it grew!