PDA

View Full Version : does the 2005 X3 cd player play mp3s

lvchan
03-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I've seen various posts about this but haven't found a definitive answer, so I want to ask 2005 X3 owners out there directly if the cd player does indeed play mp3 cds. Also, are there any gotchas I should look out for when burning the mp3 cd (e.g. will it be able to read songs in subfolders)?

(I'm asking this here and now because I will be picking up my X3 for the first time in Europe and am hoping I can burn a collection of mp3s for the road trip. But obviously I won't get to try it out beforehand. Alternatively, I can go the dealer and try it out but I figure I'd ask here first.)

Thanks in advance!

jdeday
03-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Yes the 2005 X3 CD players will play MP3 CD's, I have one in my X3 now! Not sure about the folder thing, I will try that tomorrow.

Jeff

xspeedy
03-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Yes, it does recognize folders. I wouldn't go to folders within those folders, though. To switch the forward/back buttons to move you up and down folders, hit the "m" button. Hitting it once will mean that the arrows move you through folders until you hit it again. The "m" button is a toggle.

When you burn your music, do a "make compatible" if it uses DLA.

ddavtian
03-27-2005, 10:16 PM
It also plays wma files if you're interested. I have CDs with both mp3 and wma files on them, the player has no problems :-)

lvchan
03-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Great! Thanks for all the prompt responses!

weinschela
03-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes, it does recognize folders. I wouldn't go to folders within those folders, though. To switch the forward/back buttons to move you up and down folders, hit the "m" button. Hitting it once will mean that the arrows move you through folders until you hit it again. The "m" button is a toggle.

II've got it works but the folder names don't appear anywhere -- just TR001, etc, with song name on the screen. Is there a way to makew the folder names appear? I'm using Nero 6 to burn CD's, and whether I burn mp3 or data discs, I can't get folder names to show up. Thanks.

xspeedy
03-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Mine doesn't even show song names. It just shows FOLDER#-TRACK#. The new radio in the e90 is supposed to be able to read/display tag info.

ICEBERG
03-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Mine does not show song info From the MP3's also. Just the Track number. But it plays MP3's great. Mine was built 01/2005.

jk330i
03-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Wow, so cool. I didn't know about this. thanks :)

weinschela
03-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Mine does not show song info From the MP3's also. Just the Track number. But it plays MP3's great. Mine was built 01/2005.
Push thew "info" button and turn on "audiotext" and the songs will show up on the screen -- but not folder names.

jdeday
03-29-2005, 05:43 PM
What button is the "Info Button"?

xspeedy
03-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Yes, what info button? My stereo doesn't have one of those.

blarker
03-30-2005, 07:34 AM
I've seen various posts about this but haven't found a definitive answer, so I want to ask 2005 X3 owners out there directly if the cd player does indeed play mp3 cds. Also, are there any gotchas I should look out for when burning the mp3 cd (e.g. will it be able to read songs in subfolders)?

(I'm asking this here and now because I will be picking up my X3 for the first time in Europe and am hoping I can burn a collection of mp3s for the road trip. But obviously I won't get to try it out beforehand. Alternatively, I can go the dealer and try it out but I figure I'd ask here first.)

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it does....pop one in and try it...my (2005 X3) does very well

ahchung
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM

I think you have to put all your MP3s in folder(s). Without folders, I don't think they will play (according to my experience)
Also, I couldn't get my WMAs to play no matter what I did.

x3man
03-31-2005, 09:01 AM
What format does the CD have to be in? Do you have to create at least one folder? Do you need some sort of playlist or other metadata file?

xspeedy
03-31-2005, 09:26 AM
I think you have to put all your MP3s in folder(s). Without folders, I don't think they will play (according to my experience)
Also, I couldn't get my WMAs to play no matter what I did.

I was able to play songs that were put directly onto a CD (no folders). I never tried WMA though.

xspeedy
03-31-2005, 09:28 AM
What format does the CD have to be in? Do you have to create at least one folder? Do you need some sort of playlist or other metadata file?

You don't need folders, but they are useful for arranging songs into albums or genres. You don't need playlists or anything else. Just put songs on the CD (or within folders on the CD) and that's it. If you burn using DLA, you need to "make compatible" when done.

jdeday
03-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Has anyone figured out how to display the song titles? My radio is DSP with Sat Radio Prep.

Jeff

x3man
04-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Has anyone figured out how to display the song titles? My radio is DSP with Sat Radio Prep.

I have the premium stereo and I just got it to work. You have to press the Info button and then select Audiotext from the menu.

BTW - I created a multi-session disc with a bunch of songs using Nero but only the first two showed up.

jdeday
04-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok, What button is the INFO button on the radio?

ddavtian
04-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Do you have a Nav package installed? If not then where is the "Info" button?

Please let us know.
Thanks,
David

jdeday
04-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't have Navigation, could this be why the radio doesn’t display the song titles? Can someone submit a photo of the CD player displaying the song titles?

x3man
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
This is the BMW Premium Sound system with Navigation. If you want the titles to appear, you have to press the Info button and from the menu, select "Audiotext". You only have to do this once as it is a preference. Everytime you play a MP3, the info will appear something like this:

TR001-001

Artist
Album
Title

e.g.

The Police
Regatta de Blanc
Bring on the Night

manuj
04-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Picked up my Jet Black X3 3.0 today and it does play MP3....

jowell05
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Are you guys talking about the single CD player or the one with the oem CD changer? I just got my X3 (w/o the changer) and haven't tried loading MP3's yet. I'm planning on installing a 6 CD changer as an upgrade but if the one I got plays MP3s, then I guess I'd rather spend the whole weekend burning CDs and save some bucks. Anybody, please give me the run down.

Thank you much,
jowell05

ddavtian
04-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Jowell05, your CD player plays both mp3 and wma formats. I mentioned this in your other post as an alternative to a changer. So save your bucks and start burning CDs :-)