PDA

View Full Version : Back Bench Removal

JG
03-30-2005, 08:45 PM
My trusty shop foreman at my BMW dealer - showed me how to remove the rear bench to have the seat backs lie flat instead of at an angle.

We have occasions (dog shows) where it is preferrable to have the entire area behind the front seats - flat (crate storage etc.)

For normal daily use the rear seats fold down easily enough - but they have a noticeable upright angle towards the front seats.

The rear bench actually comes out very easily - which allows the rear seats to fold virtually flat.

Pop out the child restraint plastic covers (4 total) - lift up on the front of the bench (towards the front seats) - and the entire assemble pops out (there are two connection plates at the front left and right of the rear bench). The unit when removed is very light weight.

I would recommend putting down a sheet of 1" foam on the bare metal floor to protect the rear seat materials when folded.

iChick
03-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Very good to know! Thanks for posting.

tonymey
04-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Nice to know, :thumbup: , now if you could asked your trusty shop forman if there is anyway to fold the passenger seat forward flat or to some extent. I got the auto seats and the other day I had a long box but the passenger seat will only give so much, which is not much,, :mad: We could use those extra couple of feet if we were able to fold it all or some of the way forward.

x3drive
07-13-2005, 04:00 AM
And is the options list in barrel under the seat foam, like in a 3-Series ?

canadianbattery
07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
My trusty shop foreman at my BMW dealer - showed me how to remove the rear bench to have the seat backs lie flat instead of at an angle.

We have occasions (dog shows) where it is preferrable to have the entire area behind the front seats - flat (crate storage etc.)

For normal daily use the rear seats fold down easily enough - but they have a noticeable upright angle towards the front seats.

The rear bench actually comes out very easily - which allows the rear seats to fold virtually flat.

Pop out the child restraint plastic covers (4 total) - lift up on the front of the bench (towards the front seats) - and the entire assemble pops out (there are two connection plates at the front left and right of the rear bench). The unit when removed is very light weight.

I would recommend putting down a sheet of 1" foam on the bare metal floor to protect the rear seat materials when folded.

GOOD TO KNOW>

canadianbattery
08-09-2005, 01:58 AM

How to "lift up on the front of the bench"??
I cant get the bench to move at all. please advice

x3drive
08-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Remove 4 plastic covers for child seat achors first. Grip front bottom edge of seat nearest where carpet meets seat. Best to grab one side (either drivers of passenger side) first. And pull upwards very firmly. Repeat otehr side then in the middle. The base is only a push fit on it's mounts.

Getting it back on is more interesting....requires a little patience with seat belt anchors.

PS There is no options list in a barrel under there :(

razzle
08-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Just wondering how much room there is under the seat. I was interested in installing an amplified subwoofer under the rear seat. It is about 10 inches deep, will it fit?

x3drive
08-10-2005, 05:26 PM
No. Probably not even enough ground clearance UNDER the car for a 10" deep sub !!

canadianbattery
08-10-2005, 10:30 PM
thanks for the information.