PDA

View Full Version : Need pricing advice

e268
03-31-2005, 05:37 AM
Just registered. Have a question for those Canadian owners, especially those in TGA. Do you have to bargain for the price of BMW's. Never bought from BMW dealers before. If so, how much discount should I be expecting. I am driving 1999 ML320 and want to trade in for X3 2.5i.

Any advice will be appreicated.

ceo2b
03-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Just registered. Have a question for those Canadian owners, especially those in TGA. Do you have to bargain for the price of BMW's. Never bought from BMW dealers before. If so, how much discount should I be expecting. I am driving 1999 ML320 and want to trade in for X3 2.5i.

Any advice will be appreicated.

I am in Vancouver, BC. The mark up on the 3.0 is about $4,500.00 and an aggressive salesperson gave me $2500.00 off. With a bit of armtwisting, I was able to get $3,000 off from the manager. However I did buy the 3.0 with Premium package. On the base I would expect just the $2500.00 off.

In general, the 2.5 would be between $2000 and $2500 off.

If you want, you can go to CARCOSTCANADA.COM and pay $40.00 to get the specific costs. I did that for the 3.0. Good luck.

I showed it to the dealer and he knew it was a matter of how much he was willing to make versus how much discount.

e268
03-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks. It is very helpful.

Aaron325iT
03-31-2005, 08:19 PM
I just ordered my X3 3.0i, took advantage of the good lease rate (last day for it was today). I'm also in the GTA.

Mine is coming the end of April, i got a base Jet Black 3.0i with sunroof, PDC and heated steering wheel. I really wanted the DSP sound, but the premium package one I wanted wouldn't arrive till June and the dealer said that was too far off to get the lease deal. Didn't really feel like paying for leather or the autodim mirror either. No car had just DSP sound by itself with the sunroof, oh well. The dealer tried to entice me into a premium package 2.5i but it seemed woefully underpowered for the weight of the SAV, so I said not thanks and stuck with getting a 3.0i.

Glad to see Canadian models get the chrome for 2005.

I got around 2k and change off MSRP, not great but not terrible. Good luck.

ICEBERG
03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
I only got $1000 off MSRP.. I wanted more off but the dealer would not move too much. :thumbdwn: The X3's are in too much demand here in Calgary.

JG
04-01-2005, 02:57 PM
I just ordered my X3 3.0i, took advantage of the good lease rate (last day for it was today). I'm also in the GTA.

Mine is coming the end of April, i got a base Jet Black 3.0i with sunroof, PDC and heated steering wheel. I really wanted the DSP sound, but the premium package one I wanted wouldn't arrive till June and the dealer said that was too far off to get the lease deal. Didn't really feel like paying for leather or the autodim mirror either. No car had just DSP sound by itself with the sunroof, oh well. The dealer tried to entice me into a premium package 2.5i but it seemed woefully underpowered for the weight of the SAV, so I said not thanks and stuck with getting a 3.0i.

I got the exact same vehicle as you and got around $2500 off, and a trade value better than I expected. I think the markup is around 8%. People should be able to get for around 4% - especially if it is in stock.

I see the last three posters all have 35 posts.......

DUCTTAPE
04-02-2005, 07:16 AM
I never buy list price down, but dealer tissue up.

We own our X3, 3.0 about a week now. Dealer cost plus $300. Even got mats and a lame keychain. Plus, 3.9% finance (which is a real money maker for BMWFS. No bargain there!)

Shop around. There is always a hungry dealer. Just be prepared to walk until you find one.

Aaron325iT
04-02-2005, 12:30 PM
I got the exact same vehicle as you and got around $2500 off, and a trade value better than I expected. I think the markup is around 8%. People should be able to get for around 4% - especially if it is in stock.

I see the last three posters all have 35 posts.......

You got the same car?? that's interesting. I ordered mine from incoming production, so all the options were set. As i said, i really wanted the stereo...hopefully the standard stereo won't be too much of a step down from my '03 325iT's HK setup, which I quite like.

JG
04-02-2005, 07:39 PM
You got the same car?? that's interesting. I ordered mine from incoming production, so all the options were set. As i said, i really wanted the stereo...hopefully the standard stereo won't be too much of a step down from my '03 325iT's HK setup, which I quite like.

When I went in to my dealer in early March - they told me this vehicle was a few days from arriving in Halifax - and I could have it in two weeks. I didn't feel like waiting 2 months for a custom order.

Looks like somebody at BMW Canada has been ordering this setup - unsold. I didn't want PDC but now that I have it I quite like it. Actually I find the rear visibility on the vehicle poor compared to my last vehicle. In part that has to do with the rear headrests. So the PDC comes in handy.

I didn't want heated sterring wheel either - but I couldn't live without it now.

I cranked up Los Lonely Boys on a long drive home last night - and the standard stereo sounded real fine to me. It sounds better to me than my friends HK in his 325 - but then it might depend on the type of music being played.

Aaron325iT
04-03-2005, 02:33 PM
When I went in to my dealer in early March - they told me this vehicle was a few days from arriving in Halifax - and I could have it in two weeks. I didn't feel like waiting 2 months for a custom order.

Looks like somebody at BMW Canada has been ordering this setup - unsold. I didn't want PDC but now that I have it I quite like it. Actually I find the rear visibility on the vehicle poor compared to my last vehicle. In part that has to do with the rear headrests. So the PDC comes in handy.

I didn't want heated sterring wheel either - but I couldn't live without it now.

I cranked up Los Lonely Boys on a long drive home last night - and the standard stereo sounded real fine to me. It sounds better to me than my friends HK in his 325 - but then it might depend on the type of music being played.

I definitely wanted PDC because once i sat in the X3 i could see that rear visibility when backing up wouldn't be great. Heated steering wheel was one thing i originally thought was a gimmick but having driven a relative's X5 with it I am completely sold on it. And the sunroof....I was desparate for that one, it was a must-have.

Glad to hear the standard stereo sounds good...looking forward to playing MP3s directly from CD...I can probably get away with not re-installing my Ipod ( I have it routed through the aux input on my current car).

The dealer told me that my car would be here 3rd week of april probaby, 4th at the latest...a custom order from scratch would have taken ages, months maybe. The salesman didn't even want to speculate.

e268
04-03-2005, 04:01 PM

I went to a dealer in GTA. I told the sales person I saw in the web that purchasers got 5% off MSRP. He quickly offered 4%, which works out to about $1800. I did not make an offer, since I was not sure about the value of my trade in. Also, he is willing to change the grill to all chrome as well. This is for a 2.5 with sun roof. I forgot to test out highway passing, but cruising is nive and quiet. I tried on some pot holes and it manages well. I also made a fast entry onto highway, but the stability control did not cut in, and I was really scared a bit. My ML320 would have cut in and cut off the gas, and brake, but this 2.5 did nothing. The sales person explained that this car has lower centre of gravity, therefore, no need for stability control to cut in. What do you guys think?

What do you guys get for the trim, titanium, aluminum or wood? I am debating on titanium or wood, definitely not the aluminium.

BTW, thanks to all for the good advice.

Aaron325iT
04-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I went to a dealer in GTA. I told the sales person I saw in the web that purchasers got 5% off MSRP. He quickly offered 4%, which works out to about $1800. I did not make an offer, since I was not sure about the value of my trade in. Also, he is willing to change the grill to all chrome as well. This is for a 2.5 with sun roof. I forgot to test out highway passing, but cruising is nive and quiet. I tried on some pot holes and it manages well. I also made a fast entry onto highway, but the stability control did not cut in, and I was really scared a bit. My ML320 would have cut in and cut off the gas, and brake, but this 2.5 did nothing. The sales person explained that this car has lower centre of gravity, therefore, no need for stability control to cut in. What do you guys think?

What do you guys get for the trim, titanium, aluminum or wood? I am debating on titanium or wood, definitely not the aluminium.

BTW, thanks to all for the good advice.

Aluminum comes standard on 3.0i's for 2005. I quite like the look of it...my current 325iT has the titanium which is also quite cool. The salesman told me wood costs ~500 extra.

As for the stability control, I think the salesman was partly right, with a bit of exaggeration. Remember the X3 is fairly light for an SUV 1800kg/4000lb, and it's basically an E46 3 series on stilts, so its handling really is very good. The ML is a old-school heavy body-on-frame SUV so it's definitely heavier. It's also taller. I read that MB tunes their stability control to cut in fairly early. My 325iT DSC only cuts in late (I experiened it this past winter pretty vividly!).

Rented an ML320 once and really didn't like it, no offence, The engine felt agricultural next to my BMW, and the handling felt like a tractor's. The interior quality also frankly sucked for what is a $50k product before tax.

e268
04-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Aluminum comes standard on 3.0i's for 2005. I quite like the look of it...my current 325iT has the titanium which is also quite cool. The salesman told me wood costs ~500 extra.

As for the stability control, I think the salesman was partly right, with a bit of exaggeration. Remember the X3 is fairly light for an SUV 1800kg/4000lb, and it's basically an E46 3 series on stilts, so its handling really is very good. The ML is a old-school heavy body-on-frame SUV so it's definitely heavier. It's also taller. I read that MB tunes their stability control to cut in fairly early. My 325iT DSC only cuts in late (I experiened it this past winter pretty vividly!).

Rented an ML320 once and really didn't like it, no offence, The engine felt agricultural next to my BMW, and the handling felt like a tractor's. The interior quality also frankly sucked for what is a $50k product before tax.

Yes, I would agree with your assessment on the ML320. I did not have much choice in 1999, as it was the most advanced in terms of stability control, spin control, and off roading capability, altho I have never used the low gear even once, and tons of goodies that you can only get as options in others (such as dimming mirror, big heated outside mirror, 15000 km for oil change, high beam dimmer, emergency brake assist, small turning circle...). It is really a "Utility Vehicle" without the "Sport". Not trying to defend it, but it served me well, reliable and the feeling of "safe". I am surprised you did not like the engine as it is a standard 3.2 litre that is used in all other MB cars, and it is more like a truck than a tractor. Even the MB sales guys refer to it as light truck.

What I am concerned with the wood trim is that it may be on its way out of style, since the new 2006 MB are coming out with aluminum trim as well. Both the aluminum (which has these circular patterns in the design) and the titanium look very contrasty in a black-gray interior. The BMW sales person is willing to replace the trim with wood if I insist. I just don't know if I am asking for something that no one else is buying, and getting out of style.