PDA

View Full Version : Things that make me go hmmmm on my X3

tonymey
04-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Question?? Does anyone find that the gas and brake pedal are too close together? I got a size 13 (N) shoe and depending on what shoe I wear I find myself pressing the gas and brake at the same time.

It also seems to me that my steering wheel is off center. (slightly to the left)

And something else that got me confuse is the auto stick, on my 740i to shift up the gears I move it forward (away from me) on my X3 it's the other way around, talking about getting the right gear :dunno:

Little things that I notice ,, anyone else ?

calgaryx3
04-01-2005, 01:13 PM
I've heard of other people complain that the pedals are too close, but for my size 10s, they seem just right.

As for my only two pet peeves;

1) The door mirrors are too bloody small, and blind spots a nuisance compared to other similar vehicles I have owned/driven.

2) Maybe its a BMW thing, but why do the fog lights/heated seats/heated steering wheel default to the "off" position when the ignition is switched off, and turned back on again. It really is a pain to adjust these minor settings when making a quick stop off, at a convenience store for instance.

Just minor niggles I admit. Other than that, no complaints!

Asif

iChick
04-01-2005, 01:15 PM
And something else that got me confuse is the auto stick, on my 740i to shift up the gears I move it forward (away from me) on my X3 it's the other way around, talking about getting the right gear :dunno:

Little things that I notice ,, anyone else ?

That one has been hard to adjust to.... My 328ci was just the opposite to the X3 - up is down and down is up.... :confused:

smokeminside
04-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I might have missed this, but is your x3 an automatic? I think I might have the world's widest feet, but I don't have trouble with the automatic. Maybe the manual pedals are spaced differently?

MikeBritt
04-01-2005, 08:20 PM
The automatic manual mode is just wrong. I keep selecting the wrong gear. The thing is opposite of every other car and I just cant get used to it. Wish there was a way to switch it around. Other than that, nothing else making me go huummm.

MJTSUB
04-01-2005, 09:33 PM

I think 2001 was the start of swapping the shift pattern. The idea behind this is that when you are breaking and most likely downshifting your body weight moves forward and thus the reason why you would push forward on the gear lever. The opposite obviously for upshifting.

rrinker
04-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I don;t think it's backwards at all. I associate 'down' with forward just fine.

I DO wisht he fog lights wouldn;t shut off allt he time. My 328 didn't do that, once you turned the fogs on, they were on every time the lights were turned on.

peoe2
04-02-2005, 08:06 PM
I've noticed the same thing with the steering wheel. Brought it to my dealer who said after testing everything was dead on.

Took my service advisor for a test drive and showed him, he noticed and said that it's within the 5% range so it's fine. He didn't want to fine-tune it. He said if I wanted anything, I'll need to talk to the BMW Representative who comes every 6 weeks (basically he wanted to get rid of me).

Don't go to VOB BMW in Maryland, this is one of many disappointments I've had with them.

x3man
04-03-2005, 06:53 AM
I might have missed this, but is your x3 an automatic? I think I might have the world's widest feet, but I don't have trouble with the automatic. Maybe the manual pedals are spaced differently?

I have the automatic and it has happened to me a few times. The gas and brake pedals need to be spaced more apart.

Aaron325iT
04-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I've heard of other people complain that the pedals are too close, but for my size 10s, they seem just right.

As for my only two pet peeves;

1) The door mirrors are too bloody small, and blind spots a nuisance compared to other similar vehicles I have owned/driven.

2) Maybe its a BMW thing, but why do the fog lights/heated seats/heated steering wheel default to the "off" position when the ignition is switched off, and turned back on again. It really is a pain to adjust these minor settings when making a quick stop off, at a convenience store for instance.

Just minor niggles I admit. Other than that, no complaints!

Asif

I won't get my X3 till the end of this month, but I agree with you Asif. Everything defaulting to off is annoying on my current 325iT. My old '99 Saab 9-5 kept the heated seats and foglamps on the same setting whenever the car was started unless you switched them off.

But, on the whole, I can definitely live with the BMW quirks...I couldn't live with the 1001 things that kept breaking on the Saab!

calgaryx3
04-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah....just finished washing the X, and came up with another gripe;

Who on earth designed the hood line, and wiper arms such that they cannot be extended (i.e to wipe the windshield) without coming into contact with the topmost edge of the hood??!! :thumbdwn:

I'm certain there was some aerodynamic purpose for this inherent design flaw, but it's the silliest thing I've ever seen.

There. I feel better now!

Asif

spoonace
04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
i haven't tried this, but i read in the owners manual that you can put the wipers up if you stop them in the 'up position'. i agree, it's a pain.

dkl
04-11-2005, 12:36 AM
i haven't tried this, but i read in the owners manual that you can put the wipers up if you stop them in the 'up position'. i agree, it's a pain.

I just couldn't figure out why the passenger side of the wiper be designed similar to the driver side, where you could easily lift it off the windshield in it's resting position. :dunno:

HGX3.0
04-11-2005, 01:31 PM
hmmm - how come the side mirrors aren't blue aspherical mirrors like the ones on my 2001 325i?

why did they make the black door sills flat, so water/dirt collect on the ledges?