PDA

View Full Version : Sensatec or Leather

Rob V
04-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm hoping to get some answers regarding some of the options offered in the X3.

Rearview Mirror:
With the Premium Package you get an Auto-Dimming mirror. But do you have to get this mirror to get the Rain Sensing function?

Servo Steering:
How useful is this feature. I know it's supposed to improve steering at slow speeds such as parking lots. But I sort of prefer heavy steering. Does the Servo Steering take away too much of that solid feel?

Sensatec:
I guess this is a matter of personal preference but I saw a vehicle with Sensatec Leatherette and it looked pretty nice (save the obviously vinyl sides of the seats). Does anyone have any long term experience with Sensatec to be able to say it's much better/worse than leather? I have small dogs and I'd like to know which would be easier to maintain.

I would appreciate any feedback on these questions. I have to order my X3 this week and I want to be as informed as I can in my purchase. The local dealer only had 1 X3 on the lot this weekend so I couldn't really compare models. Thanks again! :thumbup:

Rob V
04-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Bump :d

Woody
04-04-2005, 06:53 PM
I have sensatec. I like it. It think it stays cooler-not as hot as leather-I haven't had it through a summer yet (interior is black). I think it is going to hold up better than leather. I have a baby & I know that he is going to be trashing the inside of it soon & I won't be as concerned.

e268
04-04-2005, 06:55 PM
I am going got the Sensatec. My wife never like leather,because when they are used for a while, the leather stretches and looks untidy to her. I have used the similar material for my ML320 and after 5 yrs it is still great.

SARAFIL
04-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm hoping to get some answers regarding some of the options offered in the X3.

Rearview Mirror:
With the Premium Package you get an Auto-Dimming mirror. But do you have to get this mirror to get the Rain Sensing function?

Servo Steering:
How useful is this feature. I know it's supposed to improve steering at slow speeds such as parking lots. But I sort of prefer heavy steering. Does the Servo Steering take away too much of that solid feel?

Sensatec:
I guess this is a matter of personal preference but I saw a vehicle with Sensatec Leatherette and it looked pretty nice (save the obviously vinyl sides of the seats). Does anyone have any long term experience with Sensatec to be able to say it's much better/worse than leather? I have small dogs and I'd like to know which would be easier to maintain.

I would appreciate any feedback on these questions. I have to order my X3 this week and I want to be as informed as I can in my purchase. The local dealer only had 1 X3 on the lot this weekend so I couldn't really compare models. Thanks again! :thumbup:

Our 3.0 is a non-premium car, but it has the auto headlights and rain sensor wipers standard. I can't recall off the top of my head if these are standard on a 2.5, though.

I've driven many cars with Servo and regular steering, and I think I'd be most happy with a mix of the two. I think the extra assist at low speeds is nice, but I think the system in the X3 has too much assist. Also, I see no need for the system in normal driving, as the conventional steering is quite good at speed. I'd be happy with a system more like the conventional system with just a bit more assist at low speed. Servotronic is not quite that system, so I'll stick with the regular system.

As for interiors, I am 100% in favor of Leather just because I think that the Sensatec is the worst Vinyl interior BMW has used to date. It looks and feels horrible to me. After seeing how good BMW can make vinyl look (3er or 5er), I find the Sensatec unacceptable. The leather looks fine, and to me is of equal grade to a 3er. That being said, I like the concept of a more rugged, sturdy vinyl for this type of car. I just wish they used better materials. Note that I am a huge leather fan and wouldn't buy a BMW with leatherette, but do acknowledge that they have a good material in the 3er and 5er. I'm not just saying that the Sensatec is bad because I dislike leatherette in theory, I'm saying it because it is bad compared to BMW's own leatherette.

Laosk
04-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Does anyone have any long term experience with Sensatec to be able to say it's much better/worse than leather? I have small dogs and I'd like to know which would be easier to maintain.

Don't have any long term experience with the Sensatec, but so far I love it. It looks good to me and feels comfortable throughout our driving to this point.
Our main reason was our (large) dog. That and we were frank with ourselves about not being able to take care of leather over the potential life of the vehicle.
Like you said, it's personal preference.
We sat in both before we made our decision, it's a shame you can't. But whatever your choice, I'm sure you will love your X3.
:thumbup:

jliu34740
04-05-2005, 12:10 AM
I picked sensatec to save cost. no real need for leather. gets too cold or too hot. sensatec is simple to clean (Just wipe it off with cloth). And my friends were surprised they were not leather because they look very nice.

Servo sterring is nice to have, but not a must. I didn't get it because dealer couldn't find one with options I wanted and has servo.

good luck.

ICEBERG
04-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Had leather on all my cars. To be honest i am not a big fan of it. Resale value vise it is great but after a while the leather looks cracked and dull. Summer time it gets so hot you will burn your self, i know because i did with shorts on.

I decided to go with Sensatec and heated seats on my x3 and it is great. Easy to clean with my 1 1/2 old in the car. Good luck.

climrgrl
04-05-2005, 10:02 AM
You might want to think about your color choice in conjunction with your material choice. It may be that neither the black Sensatec nor the light leather get very hot, and maybe the different texture of the Sensatec isn't (visually) as noticable in the black as in the light colors. :dunno: I didn't look at too many of the Sensatec, so this is really just speculation.

There was also another thread debating whether the heated Sensatec seats got as hot as the heated leather seats. I don't think there was a concensus. :)

Rob V
04-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was really leaning towards the Sensatec and it looks like I'll go with it. It just makes more sense to me to spend the money from the leather upgrade (or Premium Package) towards more useful options. I'll use that money towards Xenon, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering wheel, etc....and still spend less in the end.

Servo steering deosn't really seem worth it even thought it's a realtively inexpensive option so I think I'll save those dollars as well.

What about the Rain Sensing? Is that standard on the 3.0? I've heard that you can only get it with the Auto-Dimming mirros that comes in the Premium Pachage but some have mentioned that they got the feature without the Premium Pack.

Rob V
04-05-2005, 10:14 AM
You might want to think about your color choice in conjunction with your material choice. It may be that neither the black Sensatec nor the light leather get very hot, and maybe the different texture of the Sensatec isn't (visually) as noticable in the black as in the light colors. :dunno: I didn't look at too many of the Sensatec, so this is really just speculation.

There was also another thread debating whether the heated Sensatec seats got as hot as the heated leather seats. I don't think there was a concensus. :)

Yeah, I remember that thread about the Heated Seats varying in tempatures across the board. I'm not sure what the deal is with that. My current Freelander only as On/Off for the heated seats and it's so minimal that it barey makes a difference at all. But when I have to drive a loaner (which I've done several times) the heated seat gets so hot I have to turn it off after a couple of minutes. And when I told them about it they checked it with a "thermal sensor radar gun" looking thing and told me that it heated up to spec. Something tells me that it's not the material but rather a huge inconsistency when it comes to calibrating these heated seats. But who knows. :dunno:

jliu34740
04-05-2005, 01:22 PM
What about the Rain Sensing? Is that standard on the 3.0? I've heard that you can only get it with the Auto-Dimming mirros that comes in the Premium Pachage but some have mentioned that they got the feature without the Premium Pack.

That's not true. Rain sensing wiper is standard on 3.0i. Auto dimmer is an option. I have the former but not the later on mine. I asked about auto dimmer mirror with compass option. Dealer wants something like 3-400 bucks, which I think is too much. I really wanted the compass, auto-dimmer is OK. In the month or so I have had the car, I haven't found much of an issue without having auto dimmer.