PDA

View Full Version : Sun roof or not?

e268
04-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I cannot find an X3 2.5 without sunroof. If I want one, I'll have to order it. I read a lot of noise complaints about sun roof while on the highway. I owned cars with sunroof before, but never opened it. So, any advice please. Take existing stock without sunroof ($1800) or order one and wait for 2 months?

Rob V
04-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I cannot find an X3 2.5 without sunroof. If I want one, I'll have to order it. I read a lot of noise complaints about sun roof while on the highway. I owned cars with sunroof before, but never opened it. So, any advice please. Take existing stock without sunroof ($1800) or order one and wait for 2 months?

I don't have any long term experience with the X3 sunroof but I did test drive one on the highway this weekend with the sunroof open specifically to test this complaint. I took the car to almost 70mph and didn't hear anything wrong.

Laosk
04-04-2005, 06:51 PM

IMHO the supersize sunroof of the X3 is one of it's greatest features. I cannot comment on the noise aspect as I haven't even had it a week. (still have to introduce her to the forum)
Even if you don't open the sunroof, it's realestate is a pleasure for both the driver and passengers in the backseat.

I would get the sunroof.

But I am a little confused about your post... You say, You cannot find a 2.5 without sunroof, so if you were to take existing stock, it would be with a sunroof...right?

Good luck!
:)

e268
04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks for your input. I am going to the dealer tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get.

JG
04-04-2005, 08:27 PM

I would guess that the panorama sunroof on the X3 is one of the best in the world, and arguably the best feature on the vehicle (after handling).

It is absolutely huge and it has several settings. I leave the shade cover open to allow all that good sunshine and brightness in.

There is a cool setting with the sunshade closed that brings in fresh air (the glass pops up and a metalic grid covers the opening).

It is noisy if open at high speeds. In this case I use the fresh air pop-up setting.

Rear passengers always comment on how impressive it is.

ICEBERG
04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Get it, you will love it. Also i don't notice the wind noise as much as most people do. My c230 had the panaroma sunroof and it was awfull. That thing had so much problems. But the sunroof on the x3 is smooth and great.

mikeypny
07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
I must have a sunroof in my car. A fatal mistake with my X3. It has leaked for the past 13 months (I bought the car 13 months ago). So far the dealer has been unable to fix it, and I was surprised this Saturday (again) with 1/2 gallon of water on my front, passenger side floor. What a joy!

pipo
07-26-2005, 03:47 PM
I also really like the panoramic moonroof. A lot of the problems you may have read about related only to early model year 2004s (leaks; noisy seals even when closed). As regards noisiness when open, the airflow rushing through the bug screen on the wind deflector is the primary culprit, but it's really not a major noise problem. I personally enjoy riding around at high speeds on country roads with all the windows and the moonroof open, so I can smell the smells, feel the air and hear the engine going through its paces, but I think I belong to a pretty small minority.

In contrast, the first thing my wife does when she gets into the X3 is to close the sunshade. I think she belongs to a pretty small minority too.

pipo
07-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I also really like the panoramic moonroof. A lot of the problems you may have read about related only to early model year 2004s (leaks; noisy seals even when closed). As regards noisiness when open, the airflow rushing through the bug screen on the wind deflector is the primary culprit, but it's really not a major noise problem. I personally enjoy riding around at high speeds on country roads with all the windows and the moonroof open, so I can smell the smells, feel the air and hear the engine going through its paces, but I think I belong to a pretty small minority.

In contrast, the first thing my wife does when she gets into the X3 is to close the sunshade. I think she belongs to a pretty small minority too.

kcnyla
07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
the noise is extremely loud at highway speeds (65+) when only the sunroof is completely open and the door windows are shut. it becomes bearable when the sunroof is opened to the first setting or if the door windows are open. is anyone else experiencing the same?

ps love and use the panoramic moonroof everytime i get in the car. :)

Bobak
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Yea. I thing it is uncomfortable at high highway speeds, so I can't open it at that time. Its not only the noise, I almost kind of feel its puting pressure on the car. But that doesn't matter, I can open it to the setting when the glass stays closed, but in a tilted way, like someone else said, and that makes almost no noise. I think the noise is common with all sunroofs, just like if you have the windows open. Other than that, I think the sunroof is a great feature, probable the best the X3 has. Go for it!!!!

Rob V
07-26-2005, 07:32 PM
The noise and pressure you guys are mentioning are only present when the sunroof is open to the completely open setting (not the 90% or so setting). When it's completely open and all the windows are closed it will be uncomfortable even at 40mph. It's physics...plain and simple. All that wind is blowing across the top of the opening with no where to go causes a bottle-top effect. Whenever I open the sunroof to it's fully open position I open one of the rear windows even as small as an inch and the noise goes away because this gives the wind a place to escape the car.

Bobak
07-26-2005, 07:39 PM
The noise and pressure you guys are mentioning are only present when the sunroof is open to the completely open setting (not the 90% or so setting). When it's completely open and all the windows are closed it will be uncomfortable even at 40mph. It's physics...plain and simple. All that wind is blowing across the top of the opening with no where to go causes a bottle-top effect. Whenever I open the sunroof to it's fully open position I open one of the rear windows even as small as an inch and the noise goes away because this gives the wind a place to escape the car.

That works, didn't think of it...thanks

i8pres
07-30-2005, 01:23 AM
I ordered my 2005 X3 3.0 without the sunroof as I rarely have it open. If I do, it's air vent setting to allow air inside while parked. $1800 is bit steep and for my needs the first opening would be sufficient.

I wish the seats were full leatherette instead the microfibre sides...

Bobak
08-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I know this is kind of off-topic, but guys, take a look at the '06 R-Class's sunroof. Its even cooler than the X3s!!!! IT'S HUGE....

mguhler
08-07-2005, 05:11 AM
I know this is kind of off-topic, but guys, take a look at the '06 R-Class's sunroof. Its even cooler than the X3s!!!! IT'S HUGE....

Copy cats...

canadianbattery
08-07-2005, 01:34 PM
yes, the panoramic sunroof is the best roof among all other SUVs.
It has two level auto up wind defector.
I have the roof fully open and hear nothing when driving below 80km/hr.
When I go above 80km/hr, I will hear the noise from wind.. just the same noise that you open your side window.