PDA

View Full Version : Car&Driver Comparo

HughH
04-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Just got the May issue of Car$Driver in the mail yesterday. The cover is titled "The $55,000 Question".

Here are the results (sorry, I can't provide a link to the story).

1. Infinity M45 Sport
2. Acura RL
3. Lexus GS430
4. Mercedes E350
5. Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
6. BMW 530
7. Cadillac STS V-8
8. Jaguar S-Type 4.2 VDP Edition

"The price cap ($55,000 for this test) was not particularly good news for BMW, whose otherwise estimable 530i is only a few months shy of a new 3.0 engine invigorated by an extra 30 horsepower. Since it's a superb vehicle even with the engine we had (slowest times to 60 and quarter mile), more thrust might well have improved this car's position in our rankings-even at a fairly steep $54,720 as-tested price."

BMW528i_Bilal
04-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Just got the May issue of Car$Driver in the mail yesterday. The cover is titled "The $55,000 Question".

Here are the results (sorry, I can't provide a link to the story).

1. Infinity M45 Sport
2. Acura RL
3. Lexus GS430
4. Mercedes E350
5. Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
6. BMW 530
7. Cadillac STS V-8
8. Jaguar S-Type 4.2 VDP Edition

"The price cap ($55,000 for this test) was not particularly good news for BMW, whose otherwise estimable 530i is only a few months shy of a new 3.0 engine invigorated by an extra 30 horsepower. Since it's a superb vehicle even with the engine we had (slowest times to 60 and quarter mile), more thrust might well have improved this car's position in our rankings-even at a fairly steep $54,720 as-tested price."

They should have conducted this test after the new BMW 530i was out. Though 6th place is not that bad for this car where v8 powered cars stand behind. I don't know why the Infiniti M45 and Acura Rl can be in 1st and 2nd place, The BMW 545i should have been 1st and the Mercedes-benz E-350 should have been 1st and 2nd. (Only an opinion) :thumbup: The Infiniti M45 is ugly, and the interior looks dull, the Acura RL who would buy $70,000 for V6 powered Honda? Might as well spend $10,000 more and get a fully loaded BMW 530i with premium and sports pkg which has more appeal, handling, prestige, and better market value. :)

bigredexpy
04-05-2005, 07:47 AM
C&D should have used for there test the M35 V6 not the M45 V8
and the same for the Lexus GS300.

In that case lets bring the BMW545 :D

I am sure the result would have been different.

HughH
04-05-2005, 08:10 AM
They should have conducted this test after the new BMW 530i was out. Though 6th place is not that bad for this car where v8 powered cars stand behind. I don't know why the Infiniti M45 and Acura Rl can be in 1st and 2nd place, The BMW 545i should have been 1st and the Mercedes-benz E-350 should have been 1st and 2nd. (Only an opinion) :thumbup: The Infiniti M45 is ugly, and the interior looks dull, the Acura RL who would buy $70,000 for V6 powered Honda? Might as well spend $10,000 more and get a fully loaded BMW 530i with premium and sports pkg which has more appeal, handling, prestige, and better market value. :)

Bilal, the autos chosen all had a top price of $55,000 as tested. Engine size was not a factor. As they noted in the article..."if we could have stretched another few grand to get the (BMW) V-8 model, we might be telling a very different story".

The Acura RL was actually the lowest priced auto in this test. It went for $49,470, fully loaded! "Everything on the RL is standard, including keyless operation and navigation with traffic-condition updates via XM satellite radio-also standard...The RL has swiveling headlights, a Bose sorround DVD stereo, a tire-preassure monitor and power rear-window shade. Many of the items that arrive with your RL, at the $49,470 asking price are expensive options on most of the other cars featured here. Remember, the steering-wheel-mounted paddles for shifting the five-speed manumatic are unique in the group."

As for "The Infinity M45 is ugly", well beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. C&D actually gave top exterior styling points to the Acura and the Lexus (9 points) and all others lumped together with 8 points. My opinion, they were overly generous with the BMW 5 series. As noted in the article..."Then again, the exterior styling of the (BMW) car will probably repel many conservative customers before they even crack a door."

bim530mer
04-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Bilal, the autos chosen all had a top price of $55,000 as tested. Engine size was not a factor. As they noted in the article..."if we could have stretched another few grand to get the (BMW) V-8 model, we might be telling a very different story". "I agree with HughH... The comparison is about the $55k and not about engine size or gadgets. And yes they were too generous with German cars overall as they have lowest line of accessories being standard and not over-priced.

As for the extra 30hp the new engine puts out... any of the above V8 can smoke you, slow down to take the curve nice and easy, push again and still outrun the nimble handling of a bimmer that's lacking cat power :thumbdwn:

The mystrey of technology is to squezze the last bit of it.. if there is any :confused:

GJR
04-06-2005, 07:09 AM
C&D really needs to change its method of testing criteria...they should test a similarly-equipped group of cars (all V8s or all V6s, for example), and then deduct points for being overpriced. That way you know which one is really best if you want to stretch your finances a bit. I think that's the way Road and Track does it- they have a "price dependent" and "price independent" rating at the end of their comparisons.

BMW528i_Bilal
04-06-2005, 07:14 AM
C&D really needs to change its method of testing criteria...they should test a similarly-equipped group of cars (all V8s or all V6s, for example), and then deduct points for being overpriced. That way you know which one is really best if you want to stretch your finances a bit. I think that's the way Road and Track does it- they have a "price dependent" and "price independent" rating at the end of their comparisons.

they should also look at market value of those cars, 5 years down the road. Where BMW and Mercedes-Benz would come out at top

shabbaman
04-06-2005, 11:00 AM
they should also look at market value of those cars, 5 years down the road. Where BMW and Mercedes-Benz would come out at top

Why? They are Car and Driver, not Consumer Reports. And didn't you just spend $5000 on getting your car fixed? How would that figure on market value?

Face it, the 5 series lost. It lost for several reasons and if you have any insight you will understand that this is actually a good thing and that it can only perpetuate BMW to build a better car.

HughH
04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't recall R&T having separate "price dependant" and "price independant" ratings in their comparos. Perhaps you are thinking of one or two specialized comparos they have had in the past. C&D methology, while making for some intesting comparos, could use some fine tuning. For instance, the "exterior styling" and "interior styling (R&T) category and their "gotta-have-it factor", while interesting, is a matter of personal taste. Therefore, they should do away with the points assesed in these areas. In this country where the majority of the time our driving is done with the air conditioner "on" and with rapidly escalating fuel prices, I would like to see new categories in acceleration and fuel economy with a/c on. I know my 325i seems less affected in acceleration with the a/c on than any other car I have ever owned. Some higher powered cars I have owned, I've had to shut the a/c off while accelerating hard to merge on a hwy, or attempting to pass on a two lane road. Just a thought!

noshocks
04-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't really care what Car & Driver or any other magazine says. I just bought a 2005 545i and it is without question the best car I have ever owned. It's fast, handles beautifully, is agile and is stunning in black. It looks like the real deal. I personally don't like Infinity, Acura, or Lexus. They all look like fancy Hondas to me and that matters more to me than any magazine review.

BMW 545i is the hands down winner for me.

HughH
04-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't really care what Car & Driver or any other magazine says. I just bought a 2005 545i and it is without question the best car I have ever owned. It's fast, handles beautifully, is agile and is stunning in black. It looks like the real deal. I personally don't like Infinity, Acura, or Lexus. They all look like fancy Hondas to me and that matters more to me than any magazine review.

BMW 545i is the hands down winner for me.

I hear you. I recetly tested a 545 and loved the power delivery of the engine. However, I felt cheated by the "artificial" feel of the steering, compared to my humble, low priced 325i.
The same goes for Mercedes. I tested their C320 and E series. The smaller, cheaper car was almost equal in feel and handling to my 325i. Their E-Series suffers from the same artificial steering feel as the 5-series BMW. I guess they are trying to appeal to some females that control our bank accounts, like my wife, with light steering. She does not like the "heavy" steering of my 325i, preferring instead to drive the Acura TL.

Two weeks ago I attended a Car Show in Motion, where they had several test tracs and the cars grouped by specialties. In the Sport/Luxo category, the longer lines belonged to the BMW 5 series. Mercedes had about one third of the number of people waiting in line to drive the E series. I went back several times and it was always the same. Like or dislike the design, I have to admit this car seems to have a magical following.

BTW - I personally feel Bangle made a grave mistake with the 5-series oriental "Burmise dancer" look. That look is great on the beautiful dancers but I find it mystifing in a car. On top of it, it carries the now infamous Bangle Butt (Road&Track) (;
He should've gone with a more cohesive design. Can't wait to see the facelifted 5-series, ala 7 series.

It was not my intention to offend anyone. I hope Mr Bangle is not offended by my remark to his butt (; I was just paraphrazing Road & Track Magazine in their First Drive of the 750. Actually they refer to it as the Bangle Butt. I thank you all for bringing it to my attention and look forward to hang around this great site. I have already learned a lot about BMW cars, all thanks to the members of Bimmerfest.

EdCT
04-11-2005, 06:02 PM
BTW - I personally feel Bangle made a grave mistake with the 5-series oriental "Burmise dancer" look of the headlights and the Afro-American look of the rump (;
He should've gone with a more cohesive design. Can't wait to see the facelifted 5-series, ala 7 series.

I guess they are all trying to appeal to the females that control our bank accounts with light steering that makes them feel they can drive a performance car as well as we do ;)

Wow, you managed to slur blacks, asians and women in one fell swoop :tsk:

MarcusSDCA
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Well c'mon....he is from Texas, afterall.

Ågent99
04-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Okay, let's get back on topic and let Hugh have a chance to edit his post a bit....

:)

Scorp76
04-23-2005, 05:18 PM
It was not my intention to offend anyone. I hope Mr Bangle is not offended by my remark to his butt (; I was just paraphrazing Road & Track Magazine in their First Drive of the 750.

I can say with some certainty that Bangle doesn't give two squirts of piss about you, your opinion, or some magazine. He's said so time and time again. The only opinions that matter to him are the honchos at BMW, and since his designs are selling and profits are rolling in, I'm sure they're all smiles.

Scorp76
04-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Well c'mon....he is from Texas, afterall.
So am I, but I'm not some ignorant closet racist. But it tells you alot about a person when they bring race into something like car design.

BMW528i_Bilal
04-24-2005, 04:04 PM
over here the Acura RL msrp is $70,000, now no matter options are standard in the car, who in their right minds would buy an Acura for $70,000.

swchang
04-24-2005, 05:49 PM

Heh, and then in his edit he fixes 2/3. Well, to his credit, I haven't seen any mention of "Jap styling" or "ricers" in any of his posts.

JT 550i SD
04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Level the playing field. Similar engine size, sport/non sport , etc. They should not use price as the absolute criteria.