PDA

View Full Version : Wish List To Be Addressed For 2006

pipo
04-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Are there any minor design flaws or oversights that you would like to see addressed in the next model year? Items that you believe would improve the X3 without requiring the expenditure of signifigant monies by BMW... In other words, a low cost/benefit ratio that BMW should find difficult to ignore.

Here are a couple:

1. Change the unpleasant warning that sounds when the key is left in the ignition after opening the driver's door to a more dulcet tone.

2. Add some sound insulation or dampening material to the doors so that they close with a more satisfying thunk.

x3man
04-05-2005, 04:05 PM
1. Active suspension system that stiffens with road speed.

2. Better navigation system.
a. User controls that are easier to use so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. I hate that stupid dial.

b. Allow scrolling of the map.

c. A local mode so you don't have to sort thru addresses on the other side of the country. i.e. an address look up that works for addresses within a user defined radius like 100 miles.

d. A larger LCD with a higher resolution (and color depth) map. Look at http://maps.google.com for a role model.

e. Clean up all the town data so that you don't have deal with "XXXX, Town of"

3. Hybrid engine for improved gas mileage.

4. Heated seats for rear passengers.

5. A little more horsepower (15-25 hp)

6. DVD player for audio as a DVD can store more MP3s.

7. If a door is open, I'd like to know which door(s) and not that any one of 5 are open.

8. Ability to adjust when headlight washers and rear washer comes on to save on wiper fluid.

ICEBERG
04-05-2005, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't mind if the X3 gets a 260-280 HP upgrade. :)

JG
04-05-2005, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE]Are there any minor design flaws or oversights that you would like to see addressed in the next model year? QUOTE]

1. Rear trunk lid 2 way opening - addition of glass only.

2. PDC consistency - you are not always sure it is on?

3. German windshield fluid available in North America.

4. Eliminate break dust :thumbdwn:

Rob V
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM

2. Add some sound insulation or dampening material to the doors so that they close with a more satisfying thunk.

Do you have an 04 or 05 model? I've heard that they made the doors make more of the"thud" sound in the 05 model because of the complaints of the 04 model.

iChick
04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Better looking exhaust system.

A better way to hook up an iPod, without having to buy costly extra parts or connectors.

A place to put coins.

I think there was something else but I can't think of it right now...

climrgrl
04-05-2005, 09:56 PM
How about a tailgate, like the X5? Tailgates are great!

Archivist
04-06-2005, 12:02 AM
1) Skinny Threshold (not aftermarket) - to crawl over the extra 3-4" is nuts, not on other BMW's (only X's).

2) 2.5 Engine noise - mine screams between 1000-2200 RPM (yeah I know go faster, but the gendarmes don't appreciate it!). Interestingly enough, my wife/friends commented on it first as it intruded on a song (radio/mp3), now I can't help but notice & get irritated.

3) Simple adjustments to the electronic settings - I have to travel 300 miles to get a setting changed on my keys. I recognize they are coded by computer, but jeez how many do I have to have just to make a change - I don't want to mess with the engine, just the lights, seats, alarm, locking mechanism.

4) Universal radio "head end" - Sirius or XM or ? plus indash 6 cd/dvd player - KIA gives it away - we pay way too much for this stuff!

5) Consider me obstinate, but at $ 40,000+ I would at least expect the Garage Door Opener to be built in! This is dumb and we're dumber for willingly paying "EXTRA" for a standard that's on virtually every other upper end car model?

I love my X3 but somethings really don't make a lot of sense BMW! :rolleyes:

pipo
04-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Do you have an 04 or 05 model? I've heard that they made the doors make more of the"thud" sound in the 05 model because of the complaints of the 04 model.

I have the 2004. I haven't heard a 2005 door closing, but am glad the issue was addressed.

adc
04-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Best upgrade - the new 3.0L engines (with 225 and 255HP respectively).

More color options - how about a basic red? something perhaps like Audi's Aviator grey?

No-cost painted bumpers (could be a low cost option).

SMG option.

A "ZHP" option with even more power, more aggressive suspension and unique trim.

A V8 option? :bigpimp:

adc
03 330 ZHP

climrgrl
04-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I got one! I got one! How about FLOOR MATS INCLUDED?

fill007
04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Did someone say new X3?

http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=214368

x3man
04-06-2005, 09:33 PM
2. PDC consistency - you are not always sure it is on?

Yes. The light should mean that it's on and not that it's activated. It would be cool if the nav display would display information from the PDC like the 7-series does.

x3man
04-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Better looking exhaust system.

A better way to hook up an iPod, without having to buy costly extra parts or connectors.

A place to put coins.

I think there was something else but I can't think of it right now...

YES! A place to put coins!

After figuring out how to create a MP3 CD (150 songs), I don't see a need for iPod anymore. However, I would LOVE to see a DVD audio player so that we can put 600+ MP3s on a single DVD.

jliu34740
04-07-2005, 12:57 AM
I vote to change the window shape to a more square looking on between C and D pillar. The one we have today makes the car look like a toy. They should put in the X5 window back there.

judybe83
04-08-2005, 11:54 PM
1. An upgrade to the cheap/hard plastic
at first we really liked the gray interior now itís starting to look/feel cheep/hard

2. Move the brake pedal (safety issue)
abís says his 12 D has been hitting the brake pedal; Iím worried about what might happen in a panic stop

3. Garage door opener, garage door opener, garage door opener
weíve ordered the mirror more of my time spent at the dealership

4. Owner programmable vehicle/key programming
our keys have been programmed 3 times looks like itíll take a couple more times to get everything set the way we want them, our service dept doesnít seem to be able to do but a couple of changes at a time a lot more of my time spent at the dealership

dlflyboy
04-09-2005, 01:53 AM
I got one! I got one! How about FLOOR MATS INCLUDED?

Mine came with the carpeted ones. But, I bought the all weather ones anyway.

adc
04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
2. Move the brake pedal (safety issue)
abís says his 12 D has been hitting the brake pedal; Iím worried about what might happen in a panic stop

In a panic stop, your husband will stomp on the brake with all his might - he will WANT to hit the brake :).

But for normal operation he may want to shave off some of the right-hand rubber side of the brake pedal, using a utility knife. If this causes the rubber cover to come off, he can replace with a new one (cheap) - but I think it will stay on if he's careful.

4. Owner programmable vehicle/key programming
our keys have been programmed 3 times looks like itíll take a couple more times to get everything set the way we want them, our service dept doesnít seem to be able to do but a couple of changes at a time a lot more of my time spent at the dealership

Change the dealer/service department - the ones you have are simply inept. My keys have been programmed faultlessly since day one.

adc
03 330 ZHP

iChick
04-09-2005, 12:37 PM
After figuring out how to create a MP3 CD (150 songs), I don't see a need for iPod anymore. However, I would LOVE to see a DVD audio player so that we can put 600+ MP3s on a single DVD.

OK - I guess I should quit being lazy and make some mp3 CD's... But I still want to be able to use the iPod in there more easily and inexpensively.

JG
04-09-2005, 06:20 PM
OK - I guess I should quit being lazy and make some mp3 CD's... But I still want to be able to use the iPod in there more easily and inexpensively.

A good idea for BMW might be to have an option for an MP3 Player connection in the ash tray opening - instead of the stock lighter and 'ash tray'. I think the current accessory iPod connection is in the glove box.

No price change just the option. It can't cost anymore than the lighter and tray assembly.

sriramvc
04-18-2005, 11:25 AM
- Automatic lock after 8-10 mph
- MPG - a more real-time update on the MPG. My earlier car (Audi) had a better system that had an overall MPG and a current MPG. The current MPG would give a real-time statistic of your use of gas. Very useful feature
- Heated seats that work (the current ones are really not all the useful)

adventurelarry
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
I would love to see the ability to have blues tooth and BMW Assist and iPod support.
I also wish I could wash my headlights when I want, not every 5th time I clean my windshield.

Another tripometer would be nice.

pipo
04-18-2005, 12:24 PM
- Automatic lock after 8-10 mph
- MPG - a more real-time update on the MPG. My earlier car (Audi) had a better system that had an overall MPG and a current MPG. The current MPG would give a real-time statistic of your use of gas. Very useful feature
- Heated seats that work (the current ones are really not all the useful)

You can have your dealer reprogram the automatic door locks to engage at your choice of threshold speeds (or to deactivate the function entirely): locking threshold range is 2.5-17.5 mph in 2.5 mph increments.

I agree with you about the MPG computer; it would be nice to have both instantaneous and average readouts. One semi-solution would be to reset the computer when you're on the road, which will initially give you a readout of your current MPG. Of course this eliminates the memory for the full gas tank /trip average MPG, so you can't have it both ways with this design, unfortunately.

I've heard some people complain about this issue with the heated seats before. I believe you can have your dealer reset the temperature range for this function as well, but I'm not sure if it's as simple as that. In any case, the level 3 setting can burn your buttocks if set accordingly, and the dealer should be able to help youremedy this problem. On a really cold day, I'll set my seat to level 3, and quickly reduce the setting to level one, which is more comfortable for the long haul.

pipo
04-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I would love to see the ability to have blues tooth and BMW Assist and iPod support.
I also wish I could wash my headlights when I want, not every 5th time I clean my windshield.

Another tripometer would be nice.

I believe the headlight washer function is active only when the headlights are turned on. Too bad it's not a separate function from the windshield washer, as you say. One option would be to literally pull the plug on the headlight washer during the summer months, when you don't have to worry about salt and road grime as much (or at all if you're living in a southern zone).

adc
04-18-2005, 06:20 PM
I believe the headlight washer function is active only when the headlights are turned on. Too bad it's not a separate function from the windshield washer, as you say. One option would be to literally pull the plug on the headlight washer during the summer months, when you don't have to worry about salt and road grime as much (or at all if you're living in a southern zone).

Or instead of getting the Cold Weather Pack, get the heated seats options a la carte and forego the headlight washer altogether. I find that in inclement weather I have to wash them manually anyway...

adc
03 330 ZHP

chas0
04-24-2005, 05:50 AM
so far, only problem is entering/exiting the x3. always rub the WIDE door sill area and my pants always take the dirt with them!