PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Bimmerfest

scottn2retro
04-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Parking on the main lot is first-come, first served. We are trying this year to reserve the premium spots for true show cars (Classic or rare BMW's, ///M-cars, modified cars, or other BMWs of particular interest). I will be sending an email out to all registered attendees about this about a week prior to the event. Enforcement will be difficult. We will be using the honor system. There will be plenty of parking on either Hope Avenue, Hitchcock Way, or the La Cumbre Plaza shopping mall lot for overflow.

Attached are aerial images of the dealership. We will have the entire facility to work with (not just the BMW side as in years past), increasing parking capacity substantially.

I want to stress again the need for stringent self-monitoring. If you have a box-stock late model BMW, please be considerate of everyone and park off-site . Also, because the lot will be jam-packed with show cars, *if* you plan on parking on the lot, please don't expect to be able to leave early. You will not be able to leave until we depart for the Bimmerfest Road Rally.

I think that's a great idea and if the people that have those bone stock recent/current models honor that, maybe there will still be some room for some of the great cars that are going to arrive with the big SoCal caravan that morning. :thumbup:

Le Cumbre shopping center can be seen in the far upper left corner of the pic below

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46761

Enlargement on the dealership

http://www.linquist.net/temp/cutter1.jpg

scottn2retro
04-18-2005, 11:13 PM
bump :)

Emission
04-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Come on, I want my 100% stock X5 3.0 slushbox (oh, let me add non-SP) up front on the stands! Those non-chrome 17's wrapped with all-season Michelins look soooo trick.

In all seriousness... a good idea.

leedawg
04-19-2005, 06:42 PM
What happend to the fair grounds last year. I know its not where it all started originally but it was nice cause there was tons of parking there last year and everybodys car could be on the lot. Just curious as to why its being hosted back at the dealer again?

JonathanIT
04-19-2005, 06:48 PM
What happend to the fair grounds last year. I know its not where it all started originally but it was nice cause there was tons of parking there last year and everybodys car could be on the lot. Just curious as to why its being hosted back at the dealer again?
Yeah, I really liked the idea last year of one huge lot where everyone could park. Isn't that the true spirit, indeed the whole point of Bimmerfest, a monster gathering of BMW's all in one place at one time? Where no matter what kind of Bimmer you drive, you are a member of the club? This whole idea that "your car isn't good enough" to park in the main lot sure doesn't seem right to me. So, really a majority of people who are driving in, sometimes great distances, are going to have to all find street parking or park at the local mini mall, just because they don't drive a race car? :thumbdwn:

Obviously this year's Bimmerfest is set for only a few days away... but maybe the organizers that be can consider another location for next years event.

--J.

Jon Shafer
04-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I really liked the idea last year of one huge lot where everyone could park. Isn't that the true spirit, indeed the whole point of Bimmerfest, a monster gathering of BMW's all in one place at one time? Where no matter what kind of Bimmer you drive, you are a member of the club? This whole idea that "your car isn't good enough" to park in the main lot sure doesn't seem right to me. So, really a majority of people who are driving in, sometimes great distances, are going to have to all find street parking or park at the local mini mall, just because they don't drive a race car? :thumbdwn:

Obviously this year's Bimmerfest is set for only a few days away... but maybe the organizers that be can consider another location for next years event.

--J.The main reason why the event was moved last year was because the dealership was changing hands due the sale of it the day of the event. Many people (including myself) see the benefit of having the event at a state-of-the-art $50mil facility as opposed to a bare asphalt parking lot. When the new owners offered us the use of the facility again this year I of course jumped on it. Most everyone who has attended the event at both facilities agrees with me on this. But then again, you can never please everyone. With the apparent lack of appreciation for the hundreds of man hours put into this year's event, maybe this should be the last year of it?

EDIT: Also worthy of consideration is that because we don't have to shell
out the bank for the site, we don't have to charge our vendors to participate
when the event is held at the dealership as opposed to the fairgrounds.
This then opens the door for much greater participation in the "Opportunity
Drawing" (i.e., charity raffle) on the part of the vendors -- meaning a much
greater contribution to the underpriviledged by those of us lucky enough
to be driving BMWs. This is within the spirit of Bimmerfest.

Bimmerfest is not just about parking your car on the lot. There are the
caravans getting to the event, the dinner beforehand, the show cars, the
clinics, the Battle of the Bimmers, The Road Rally, Dinner, drinking, and
dancing afterwards. Before you pass judgement you really owe it to
yourself to see and experience what we have planned this year...

Bob Clevenger
04-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Yep, this will be my first Bimmerfest and I will be delighted to be a part of it whether I get to park with the coolest cars or not. I'll be driving my M-coupe. I don't think that gives me the right to a reserved spot.

BoostedE21
04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Then it wont be far for the highly modded cars that cant park on the grounds and possible win an award. I really dont get why this is such a big deal :dunno: I dont want to be rube or anything, but there is nothing special about a stock E46 3er or an E36 etc, i see them everyday i drive, and please dont take it personally. What i mean by this is that i'm sure people would like to see the rare, classic, modded cars that they dont see on a daily basis.

On the other hand, i do see your point as this is a BMW event and a BMW is a BMW.A few years ago, my friend and I almost could not park on the grounds, but we managed to park and guess what, my friend won an award for the classic cat. had he not park there, he wouldnt have gotten a prize ( to some people this means nothing, but to some its means alot).

So just let it be and enjoy the event that is free and appreciate the fact that we have an event like this here, others would not care where they as long as they can go to the event. I for one am greatful and appreciate all the hard that goes on behind the scense, and thank you Jon!!!

Note: not to be taken personally, just an opinion. :thumbup:

JonathanIT
04-19-2005, 09:41 PM
With the apparent lack of appreciation for the hundreds of man hours put into this year's event, maybe this should be the last year of it?
Hey now, nobody said there was any lack of appreciation for all the work you and every one else puts in to the 'fest!!! Of course everyone appreciates what you and everyone helping does, and a thousand thank you's go to all of you! :grouphug:

I was just responding to all the (what seemed like) negative comments towards your Bimmer if it happens to be "bone stock" or not some kind of show car. Last year what I thought was the neatest thing about Bimmerfest was the huge gathering of Bimmers. It seems to me that what makes Bimmerfest great is the people (and their Bimmers :) ), not neccessarily the fancy facilities. But then again, you are 100% correct I did not attend Bimmerfest prior to '04, so I should not pre-judge the outcome. I apologize.

It just seemed to make sense to me also that the attendance figures for this years event seemed to have grown exponentially from two years ago when it was last held at the same dealer, and that maybe it might "outgrow" the dealer location someday.

I was also responding to the comments from everyone that seem to build up the main parking facility as some sort of "holy grail" of Bimmerfest attendance, i.e. if you don't get a space there, than your car isn't really isn't worthy. Why not spread the cool cars out across several other lots? Seems like allowing parking on a "first-come" basis isn't that bad. But it looks like from recent posts that that has actually changed? I'm sort of confused. (at first it was described as "first come" but in seems recently that I read "main parking will be reserved for...") :dunno:

I know there are a lot of "bone stock" Bimmer owners out there who have been cleaning up their cars just as much (if not more so in some cases!) as all the race/show cars. I enjoyed walking around the huge lot last year looking at all the different Bimmers. I guess it just bothers me that someone will be there saying "dude, no one wants to look at your car. park it down the block"

I'm sorry if I offended, because I realize that you and the other organizers have been putting in a lot of time on this, especially as the event nears. But please don't stomp on me just because I was expressing a little concern. :cry:

I know the 'fest will great and will be enjoyed by all. I hope I am still welcome.

--J

Jon Shafer
04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
J.

You are totally welcome - no offense taken, sorry for my strong response!

I just want everyone to be happy. I have never put anywhere near the amount
of effort into a Bimmerfest event planning and preparation as I have this year.
I truly don't want anyone to feel as though they've been discriminated against.
I just want to provide the best show possible given the resources available...

scottn2retro
04-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Yep, this will be my first Bimmerfest and I will be delighted to be a part of it whether I get to park with the coolest cars or not. I'll be driving my M-coupe. I don't think that gives me the right to a reserved spot.

Actually, your S54 M Coupe is one of approx. 700 sold and will hopefully find a space on the lot - but your attitude is commendable.

I don't think anybody has said anything disrespectful about people having bone stock recent models, and as far as I know, there will be no 'bouncer' or enforcement at the parking lot entrance. What is being asked is for voluntary deferment by some people with the more common BMWs.

The fact is the event has grown to such success that even with the bigger space this year, it is probable that not all cars will fit. But it's also true that there are some BMWs that are more commonplace or everyday than others and I think we wanted to give the volunteer system a try to see if it could work.

The alternative without some type of structured system or enforcement, is the old first-come/first-in basis, but in future years, that basically turns into a cattle call with people battling to see who can be at Bimmerfest at 5 AM so they can be on the lot - which would (and may already happen this year), make it so anybody participating in the big SoCal caravan (another B'fest tradition) would be out. So then eventually caravans go by the wayside in lieu of getting to SB on Friday night and camping in line at the dealership.

Hopefully, as intelligent BMW enthusiasts, we should be able to deal with better than that, and maybe the volunteer system will work just fine. If not, we'll have another year to think on it.

Wildkarde
04-20-2005, 09:22 AM
This will be my first bimmerfest and I am very excited to go! I dont care if my E30 has to park in the overflow lot or the main one (Hell i see it everyday, I know it is cool :p haha ). I am excited because this is a Huge celebration of BMW's, that is free and put together for the appreciation of BMW's and just meeting A LOT of other fellow enthusiasts. The fact that the raffle money goes to charity and I'll be able to see lots of special cars that I normally wouldn't doesn't hurt either :thumbup: ! Big thanks to everyone that put in their time to make this event possible! :clap:

JonathanIT
04-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Actually, your S54 M Coupe is one of approx. 700 sold and will hopefully find a space on the lot - but your attitude is commendable.

I don't think anybody has said anything disrespectful about people having bone stock recent models, and as far as I know, there will be no 'bouncer' or enforcement at the parking lot entrance. What is being asked is for voluntary deferment by some people with the more common BMWs.

The fact is the event has grown to such success that even with the bigger space this year, it is probable that not all cars will fit. But it's also true that there are some BMWs that are more commonplace or everyday than others and I think we wanted to give the volunteer system a try to see if it could work.

The alternative without some type of structured system or enforcement, is the old first-come/first-in basis, but in future years, that basically turns into a cattle call with people battling to see who can be at Bimmerfest at 5 AM so they can be on the lot - which would (and may already happen this year), make it so anybody participating in the big SoCal caravan (another B'fest tradition) would be out. So then eventually caravans go by the wayside in lieu of getting to SB on Friday night and camping in line at the dealership.

Hopefully, as intelligent BMW enthusiasts, we should be able to deal with better than that, and maybe the volunteer system will work just fine. If not, we'll have another year to think on it.
Thanks for the great write up. This does make sense and gives much clearer picture of the situation than trying to piece together all the different posts/threads on the subject. Sounds good! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And once again thanks to everyone helping to put this enormous event together! Don't stress too much and don't forget to enjoy the event yourself!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

--J.

BruinGM
04-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm a Bimmerfest virgin. I tried to make it last year, but it took place on my Mother's Birthday (would've been hard to explain missing her B-day). I'm not sure what kind of modifications people are making to their cars and how many are out there. So, I'm asking all you veterans if I should park off the lot or if I am worthy of parking on the lot. I have a 2001 330i in Topaz Blue with the following mods:

18" Mille Miglia Wheels
M-Aero Bumper Ducts
UUC Sway Barbarians
Strong Strut shock tower strut
UUC Evo3 SSK
Conforti CAI
Conforti Shark Injector
UUC TSE3 Exhaust

So, what say you?

Thanks for everyone's input and I won't take it personal if you tell me she's not worthy :cry:

Thanks,
George Medina
BruinGM

94is
04-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Good idea about the parking situation. But is there going to be someone at the driveway regulating who gets in and who doesn't? My sh*t had better get to park on the lot. Over 20k in mods says so. :rolleyes:

marvelphx
04-20-2005, 04:02 PM
There will not likely be enforcement at the main lot, we will not segregate cars regardless of their "mod level".

We just ask that the lesser-modded and stock cars park nearby to leave more space for the seriously worked-up cars to park on the lot.

When the lot fills, that's it. Same as it has always been for the first 4 years and everyone had an absolutely great time!

328bimma
04-21-2005, 02:31 AM
well.... i think there mite be problems IMO. just cuz almost everyone will think it deserves to be parked on the lot.

i guess it will be on the crowd control's shoulder to carry this through. im not trying to stir up anything, its my 4th year to the fest, and i dont even have my bimmer anymore. i just want to see everyone have a great time! =)

JonathanIT
04-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Good idea about the parking situation. But is there going to be someone at the driveway regulating who gets in and who doesn't? My sh*t had better get to park on the lot. Over 20k in mods says so. :rolleyes:

From Jon's "Important Info" thread (and email):

Bimmerfest is not just about parking your car on the lot. There are the caravans getting to the event, hanging out with your fellow BMW enthusiasts, the dinner beforehand, the show cars, the clinics, the "Battle of the Bimmers", The Bimmerfest Road Rally, Dinner and dancing afterwards. PLEASE don't let the fact that you might not be able to park on the lot ruin your Bimmerfest experience...

This is a very wise statement, and it works both ways: Don't feel you have any less involvement in the event because your car is not a "show car" and you have parked outside the main lot. But ALSO for those with "show cars" that may have gotten there too late to get a spot... the statement applies to you as well. Cruising the main lot for the rest of the day picking out cars less "worthy" than yours to be bitter about because they got a spot won't make for a very fun time.

So, let's all stop worrying so much about parking and concentrate on having a good time! :)

--J.

marvelphx
04-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Regardless of who actually gets on the lot, it will fill up eventually and then *everyone* will have to park elsewhere... regardless of if they have a stocker or a $100,000 show car...

We are all BMW owners, we love the cars, the people, the vendors, the raffle, the atmosphere, and that is what the event is about... not whether your personal car is nearby.

CaliJeff
04-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Best part of having an unworthy BMW.......

I don't have to detail every nook and cranny!!!!!!! YEEHAWWW!

I am however saddened that bimmerfest (the event) has become more about having a modded car than meeting fellow festers whatever they drive.

Jon Shafer
04-21-2005, 08:31 PM

I am however saddened that bimmerfest (the event) has become more about having a modded car than meeting fellow festers whatever they drive.

Who says that you can't/won't meet everyone??

:dunno:

Kurt Martin
04-21-2005, 10:20 PM

Who says the event is about having a modded car? I don't see it that way.

The "worthiness" of a BMW is a state of mind. Your Z3 3.0i is as cool as my M coupe as far as I am concerned. Heck, they are both Z3s :thumbup:

P.S. My only "mod" is a LeatherZ Mark2 Armrest.

Keith
04-22-2005, 04:31 AM
Who says the event is about having a modded car? I don't see it that way.

The "worthiness" of a BMW is a state of mind. Your Z3 3.0i is as cool as my M coupe as far as I am concerned. Heck, they are both Z3s :thumbup:

P.S. My only "mod" is a LeatherZ Mark2 Armrest.

Hey, what about that beautiful bra Kurt?! :thumbup:

Kurt Martin
04-22-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey, what about that beautiful bra Kurt?! :thumbup:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that!
http://slotcar.net/speedlingerie/115-1548_640_IMG.JPG

I hope you got some sleep last night before the caravan! :D