PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices effect on BIMMERFEST?

AsianImage
04-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Just a thought as I was driving into work this morning listening to NPR. They reported that gas in Los Angeles is now at $2.54 per self serve REGULAR. They stated that the bay area and SANTA BARBARA has the highest gas prices on average.

Do you think this will have a negative effect on our upcoming event?

Personally, I am lucky as I live fairly close to my work and I usually try to hang around town during the weekends I dont have to feel too much of the brunt of these crazy prices.

They are reporting this price will NOT go down all summer. Should stay this high until September.

How are others in other parts of the country dealing with the gas prices?

marvelphx
04-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Prices go up, we pay it...

Sad part is, if they even cut the US federal gasoline tax in half... we'd be paying like 1.65 for premuim...

Mr. The Edge
04-08-2005, 10:44 AM
people who drive BMW's probably don't care too much about spending an extra $8 a week or so on gas

Patrick330i
04-08-2005, 11:11 AM
people who drive BMW's probably don't care too much about spending an extra $8 a week or so on gas

:thumbup:

In the PNW right now, gas prices are at about $2.59 for 92. On my assignment here, I am using less gas than in So.Cal., so I am not feeling the increase at all. Word has it that 92 should be around $3/gal. by the time all of the increases have occurred this summer. Don't know if we will see that outside of SF, but who knows? :dunno:

7upNorth
04-08-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't know why anyone who drives a BMW should care. It's such a small part of automobile ownership. If one can't afford gas, one's finances must be so weak that one has no business driving a BMW. People should start being responsible with their money by controlling their ego, they should buy a Honda or a Toyota & sell the Bimmer if they can't afford gas for it.

I would like to see prices go MUCH higher. :D It would clear the road of those !*%?$ SUVs that are spoiling the pleasure of driving for those of us that actually like to drive. :thumbup: You know what you can do with your Suburban? Melt it down & make two or three nice Rice Rockets for those that can't afford gas!

I expect to be one of the biggest spenders on gasoline for Bimmerfest. I'm driving a 4200 pound 7 Series from Seattle & back. Last year I put a full tank of gas in the car in Santa Barbara for $50. I hope its at least $60 or $70 this year.

High gasoline prices are the friend of the BMW driver. Unfortunantly, prices don't go up forever. Like any commodity, the price is a function of supply & demand. The higher price will eventually bring both too much supply & less demand. Enjoy the good times while they last. :)Enjoy Bimmerfest! :D

operknockity
04-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Just to play devil's advocate here...

I constantly see messages to the fact that anyone that drives a BMW can afford other stuff that non-BMW drivers can not. Horse puckey! A lot of folks scrimp and save for a long time to get a bimmer, but that is no different than others that have to scrimp and save to get any other car, even an econobox. Everyone get's hit by high gas prices! And what about the guy who picks up an older used bimmer at a great price. He could afford it just as much as any other car. Doesn't mean that he is living large. Too many people are stereotyping the BMW owner as wealthy and able to afford anything, no matter how outrageously priced it is. Pahleaze!

The HACK
04-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Just to play devil's advocate here...

I constantly see messages to the fact that anyone that drives a BMW can afford other stuff that non-BMW drivers can not. Horse puckey! A lot of folks scrimp and save for a long time to get a bimmer, but that is no different than others that have to scrimp and save to get any other car, even an econobox. Everyone get's hit by high gas prices! And what about the guy who picks up an older used bimmer at a great price. He could afford it just as much as any other car. Doesn't mean that he is living large. Too many people are stereotyping the BMW owner as wealthy and able to afford anything, no matter how outrageously priced it is. Pahleaze!
What this "gas price hike" has an effect on, is my daily train/rail ride to work. It used to be, about 2-3 months ago, the rails are practically EMPTY when I ride during rush hour. Now it's packed to standing room only and at times I've had to wait for the next rail service. I've taken to driving to work again to avoid the "rush" 2-3 times a week instead of riding the rail all week.

iateyourcheese
04-08-2005, 12:22 PM
It's not just a couple extra bucks per week for gas. The cost of *everything* is going up because it's costing more to deliver. I had a house built last year and the builder was ticked because he budgeted for things before the gas surge. Not really my problem, but he was rather grumbly.

It's a drag on the economy, plain and simple. It's time for some new nuclear reactors and some energy independence. But now this post is getting close to belonging in the Off-topic forum... :eek:

Bill-SD
04-08-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't know why anyone who drives a BMW should care. It's such a small part of automobile ownership. If one can't afford gas, one's finances must be so weak that one has no business driving a BMW. People should start being responsible with their money by controlling their ego, they should buy a Honda or a Toyota & sell the Bimmer if they can't afford gas for it.

I would like to see prices go MUCH higher. :D It would clear the road of those !*%?$ SUVs that are spoiling the pleasure of driving for those of us that actually like to drive. :thumbup: You know what you can do with your Suburban? Melt it down & make two or three nice Rice Rockets for those that can't afford gas!

I expect to be one of the biggest spenders on gasoline for Bimmerfest. I'm driving a 4200 pound 7 Series from Seattle & back. Last year I put a full tank of gas in the car in Santa Barbara for $50. I hope its at least $60 or $70 this year.

High gasoline prices are the friend of the BMW driver. Unfortunantly, prices don't go up forever. Like any commodity, the price is a function of supply & demand. The higher price will eventually bring both too much supply & less demand. Enjoy the good times while they last. :)Enjoy Bimmerfest! :D

WOW!

Patrick
04-08-2005, 12:33 PM
The price of 98E has shot up here in the last week. I just paid $6.53 a gallon today.

Shocking.

But I don't really care ... I would still LOVE to come to Bimmerfest!

Patrick330i
04-08-2005, 02:05 PM

I have an SUV in addition to my 3er. I don't block the road for anyone. Maybe I am just a courteous SOB. :p But if I were driving and new you were behind me and had a problem with my car, I'd go out of my way to make your life a living ****ing hell! ;) :angel:

Keith
04-08-2005, 02:53 PM
But I don't really care ... I would still LOVE to come to Bimmerfest!

Hey Patrick, c'mon down, but I think it would be cheaper for you to fly than to drive to Bimmerfest! :rofl: :D

alpinewhite325i
04-08-2005, 08:44 PM
That's a very poor generalization.

Just because I choose to drive a BMW doesn't mean I don't mind high gas prices.

I'd rather not pi$$ my money away on gas.

There's plenty other better things to waste money on.

Mr. The Edge
04-08-2005, 08:49 PM

I'd rather not pi$$ my money away on gas.

There's plenty other better things to waste money on.

so you wouldn't come to Bimmerfest if it would cost you $5 more in gas than it would have 2 or 3 years ago?

mecklaiz
04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Geez....

(a) A Honda Accord will give you worse gas mileage than a BMW when driven fairly similarly (as mine does) so I think the "poor" Accord driver gets hit harder

(b) What's up with this "if you drive a BMW you must be filthy rich" attitutude? I can't understand it.

If I drove a Ferrari and complained about a few cents at the pump then maybe, but a BMW? Come on guys, look at the price differential... Honda Accord 24000, BMW 3 series 35000 so why does that make a BMW driver "rich" :dunno:

what a crappy stereo type :thumbdwn:

Mr. The Edge
04-08-2005, 09:11 PM
who said anything about filthy rich?

we're talking about an extra $30/month for gas :dunno:

Patrick330i
04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
so you wouldn't come to Bimmerfest if it would cost you $5 more in gas than it would have 2 or 3 years ago?

Well, the dude lives in Pittsburgh, which I assume to be PA, so I am not sure the extra $5 is going to cover it. :eeps:

:rofl:

Bill-SD
04-09-2005, 10:41 AM

I totally agree! My gas bills have gone up more than $5 or $8 a week also. I live in the bay area and prices have probably gone up .50 in the past few months. Between my fiance and myself, we are paying over $100 a month more for gas than we did at the beginning of the year. I am greatful that I am able to afford it but that doesn't mean I am happy about it. There are also a lot of people on fixed incomes that the gas prices are pushing beyond their means. Like someone else mentioned, it's not just paying a little more at the pump, it's grocery prices, airfare, etc.

But, I guess I shouldn't complain. I drive a BMW...

alpinewhite325i
04-09-2005, 04:02 PM
That's not my point.

My point is just because someone buys a premium auto doesn't mean they aren't frugal.

FWIW...If I didn't have kids...I'd pull a Terry Kennedy and drive across the country to attend Bimmerfest.

Regardless of gas prices!!

alpinewhite325i
04-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Well, the dude lives in Pittsburgh, which I assume to be PA, so I am not sure the extra $5 is going to cover it. :eeps:

:rofl:
You are correct....the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

(not Pitsburgh Kansas)

Cody
04-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Here is SB premium is 2.96 a gal,

good thing i drive it on weekends... :)

JPinTO
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
The price of 98E has shot up here in the last week. I just paid $6.53 a gallon today.

Exactly. American gas prices are dirt cheap at $3/gal. Suck it up.

Blacksheep
04-11-2005, 08:31 AM
When I bought my Z-3 with a 2.3 I was a little jealous of the M Z-3.

I noticed on our ZSCAA drives that they were thirsty while I still had half a tank

I'm not so jealous any longer! :)

Perceptions being what they are, you cannot own a BMW and cry about gas prices. It looks bad and nobody will care about the whining. :cry:

The upside is that for all the money we put in the tank, we are getting more out of it in the way of driving enjoyment! :thumbup:

e46supra
04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
You six cylinder guys have it good!

Try getting 14MPG on a good day in a 5er sedan!!

I'd pay the $50 a tank price just to drive the crap out of the car... its a bargain really.

Now the X5... what a waste of gas!! hahaha jk.

iDriveguy
04-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Cheers comrades!

I rarely chime in on controversial topics so don't expect another reply - even if you push my buttons I won't succumb...

I had to reply to 7upNorth because I find it not only slightly "angry" but unreasonable. I am a firm believer in his "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" philosophy. However in this model it does not apply...

I accept by owning a "higher end" vehicle my expenses will be higher and reliability could be compromised... After all $60K doesn’t = problem free. I own 4 vehicles including a 2002 VW DIESEL I purchased simply for commuting. I don't need to prove to anyone what I have. I possess the self-confidence & self esteem to drive my "lowly" VW to work everyday while insecure, self-loathing, small penis (males) zoom by me in their new BMW's, MB's, Porsches, etc. (applies to you only if you're offended)

It is a prudent and wise person who is concerned about the smaller expenses - fuel costs is no exception. While I can afford the high cost of fuel, I am concerned about HAVING to pay it. I make great efforts to conserve by driving my VW TDI (now with 99,100 mi) M-F. Where I reside in Santa Cruz, CA there are 9 fueling stations on 41st Ave - EVERY ONE is selling fuel at $2.91/gal. Would $3/gal. stop me? $4/gal.? Even $5/gal.... No it would not. However it would affect my spending, my driving & my livelihood because I am not wasteful.

Did it ever occur (to 7upNorth) higher prices WILL affect him? What if people working with him or for him can no longer afford to drive to work? What if employees using public transit can't afford increased fares or the public trans folds altogether? Or if the company which employs him makes cut-backs, lay-offs, wage freezes, etc. because of the residual effects? What happens when your gardener, house cleaner, pizza delivery person, mail delivery person, FedEx-UPS driver, school bus driver of your children, air line carrier simply disappears? Did Mr. North consider most of the U.S. hinges on the California economy (the 7th largest in the WORLD). As it is California is skating on very thin, see-through cracked ice with large sections missing. If CA goes down it will take any neighboring states with it....

Unless you are in that top 3% of our society, you ARE middle class whether you like it or not and should be concerned, if not wise, to the "cause and effect". It's easy for someone in Seattle to have such an attitude - while not "cheap" Seattle has a much higher standard of living because it's MORE REASONABLE !!!!. Santa Cruz, CA (per Sentinel News 8 April 2005) has a MEDIAN home price of $830,000.00 making it the most expensive place in CA and the 2nd in the nation (tied with San Francisco 70mi to the north). Most Californians are strapped because cost of living has run amuk down here. And FYI, not all (Californians) are to blame. Some of us didn't vote for the ABSURD environmental laws thinly disguised as "improving" the quality of life here.

I consider myself successful but it is not without hard work & fiscal responsibility. Is life good for me?...yes. Do I live comfortably?... yes. Can it go at moments notice?... BIG YES!!! (It only takes a simple error in judgment driving a "big 7" all the way to Santa Barbara!) My point to this long winded thread is I feel it's unreasonable, if not ignorant, to question anyone regardless of economic status who questions something that might effect their standard of living...

I will support 7upNorth on 2 points though; his view people should stop whining.... Including 7upNorth. And his loathing of the SUV. For me in addition to Prada, SUV's are the root to all evil!

Cheers carry on then.

roxnadz
04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Cheers comrades!

It is a prudent and wise person who is concerned about the smaller expenses - fuel costs is no exception. While I can afford the high cost of fuel, I am concerned about HAVING to pay it. I make great efforts to conserve by driving my VW TDI (now with 99,100 mi) M-F. Where I reside in Santa Cruz, CA there are 9 fueling stations on 41st Ave - EVERY ONE is selling fuel at $2.91/gal. Would $3/gal. stop me? $4/gal.? Even $5/gal.... No it would not. However it would affect my spending, my driving & my livelihood because I am not wasteful.

[...]

I consider myself successful but it is not without hard work & fiscal responsibility. Is life good for me?...yes. Do I live comfortably?... yes. Can it go at moments notice?... BIG YES!!! (It only takes a simple error in judgment driving a "big 7" all the way to Santa Barbara!) My point to this long winded thread is I feel it's unreasonable, if not ignorant, to question anyone regardless of economic status who questions something that might effect their standard of living...

I will support 7upNorth on 2 points though; his view people should stop whining.... Including 7upNorth. And his loathing of the SUV. For me in addition to Prada, SUV's are the root to all evil!

Cheers carry on then.

:thumbup: x 100

Now this, my friends, is the voice of reason. I don't think anybody's said it better. I can't even hate on the E60s, man ;)

I own two cars, an E28 5er and an E39 5er. The E39 stays parked most days, because public transit gets me to and from work without the hassle of driving, and I'd rather use it for long road trips - to Bimmerfest for example - anyway. The E28's main duty is carrying my girlfriend and I to and from public transit.

I obviously can afford to maintain, insure and keep the gas tanks full on both cars, but there's nothing wrong with not wanting to have the oil companies in your back pocket all the time. Because yes, it does have an effect on you whether or not you're willing to admit it, regardless of your financial status. My gf runs a computer consulting firm, and she's had to levy a per-visit fee to help recoup the increased cost for her in getting to and from her clients. Just like my man here says, it's more than just what's directly coming out of your wallet.