PDA

View Full Version : Break Dust (worse than I thought)

JG
04-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I know this has been beaten to death as a general BMW issue, and I thought I knew what to expect when I got my X3.

But frankly I cannot believe how much brake dust accumulates on my rims - and what a pain it is to get around all the rim edges to clean it off. Even the best touchless car washes hardly put a dent in the removal.

It's like dressing in a brand new suit with a pair of ratty old scuffed shoes! :bigpimp:

There are some tips in the detailing forum which I guess I will have to try.

You would think this would be a solvable problem for a technically savvy company like BMW.

BahnBaum
04-08-2005, 06:08 PM
I suppose they put braking performance ahead of clean wheels.

You can always go with a low dust aftermarket pad.

Alex

B r i a n
04-08-2005, 06:16 PM
I am having the same issue :( , the wheels have to be cleaned once a week.
I picked up some small foam brushes at home depot tonight, hopefully they will make it a little easier.

2005 X3 3.0i
Silver Gray
Gray leather
Light Wood
Folding Mirrors
Xenon Lights
Navigation
Heated seats
Premium Package

EdCT
04-08-2005, 09:41 PM
I know this has been beaten to death as a general BMW issue, and I thought I knew what to expect when I got my X3.

But frankly I cannot believe how much break dust accumulates on my rims - and what a pain it is to get around all the rim edges to clean it off. Even the best touchless car washes hardly put a dent in the removal.

It's like dressing in a brand new suit with a pair of ratty old scuffed shoes! :bigpimp:

There are some tips in the detailing forum which I guess I will have to try.

You would think this would be a solvable problem for a technically savvy company like BMW.

Here's a tip, those little calipers that squeeze the discs at all four corners of your car are called "brakes", not "breaks".

Ed

Plaz
04-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Here's a tip, those little calipers that squeeze the discs at all four corners of your car are called "brakes", not "breaks".

Ed

Oh, that's what he meant. I was getting ready to say that I've broken wind, but never dust, and that a visit to a physician might be in order. :angel:

EdCT
04-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Oh, that's what he meant. I was getting ready to say that I've broken wind, but never dust, and that a visit to a physician might be in order. :angel:

:rofl:

That's much better than what I wrote, I'm sorry I beat you to it.

Ed

JG
04-09-2005, 05:31 AM

Ed

I appreciate the correction, and have edited the spelling; as you might consider doing with your spelling of Swingin' :rolleyes:

jdeday
04-09-2005, 10:24 AM
I think that most German automobiles accumulate a large amount of brake dust. I'm assuming that it is due to the higher performance pads that they are using.

a burrito
04-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I think that most German automobiles accumulate a large amount of brake dust. I'm assuming that it is due to the higher performance pads that they are using.

yep so unless you change your pads to "dustless" ones like BahnBaum said then your out of luck. all bmws have the brake dust issue

AsianImage
04-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I just had my front brakes done yesterday and I switched to the AXXIS Deluxe pads. I will post a report after driving around. The car was washed yesterday but I did not go anywhere. I say after a a drive back and forth to work I should see a difference.

But yeah the brake dust was becoming a nuisance...so I switched as I had to do my brakes anyway.

BMWNA
04-15-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. Who likes brake dust? Brake dust deposits on wheels are a common concern among all vehicles, especially on cars with “open design” wheels that use disc brakes.

BMW’s large selection of alloy wheels is mainly the “open wheel” type, which accentuate your BMW's sporty character and give it an even more dynamic look. This wheel design offers greater brake cooling, helping to keep the brakes at an optimal temperature, and contributing to better braking performance. However, open wheels have a tendency to collect brake dust, since more of the brake rotor and brake pad is exposed, and will require more frequent cleaning. Thankfully, because of the open design, these wheels are easier to clean, so the time expended cleaning the wheels is minimal. In order to avoid any damage to the clear coat on your wheels, you should use a good quality wheel cleaner such as the BMW cleaning products available at any BMW center.

BMW uses disc brakes exclusively. BMW brake pads have been designed for superior braking performance and for the reduction of the unpleasant noise that occurs during braking.

If you have any questions or if we can help in any way, please call us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

JG
04-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. Who likes brake dust? Brake dust deposits on wheels are a common concern among all vehicles, especially on cars with “open design” wheels that use disc brakes.

BMW’s large selection of alloy wheels is mainly the “open wheel” type, which accentuate your BMW's sporty character and give it an even more dynamic look. This wheel design offers greater brake cooling, helping to keep the brakes at an optimal temperature, and contributing to better braking performance. However, open wheels have a tendency to collect brake dust, since more of the brake rotor and brake pad is exposed, and will require more frequent cleaning. Thankfully, because of the open design, these wheels are easier to clean, so the time expended cleaning the wheels is minimal. In order to avoid any damage to the clear coat on your wheels, you should use a good quality wheel cleaner such as the BMW cleaning products available at any BMW center.

BMW uses disc brakes exclusively. BMW brake pads have been designed for superior braking performance and for the reduction of the unpleasant noise that occurs during braking.

If you have any questions or if we can help in any way, please call us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

I have found that after the first few weeks, the dust issue is not as bad as the first weeks (break-in period?).

I would agree that the benefits outweigh the negatives when it comes to brake performance.

The X3 handles so well and brakes so well - that the systems get more of a workout than those used in most other vehicles...................