PDA

View Full Version : 1995 525it operating costs

dopple
04-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I had my 1995 318ti for 7 years and 110k miles and have not had any abnormal repair costs. I am very happy with the use my 318ti has given me. It still handles very well and is a joy to own and operate.

I just got a mint 1995 525it wagon with 81,000 miles on it. It appears to be in excellent condition and I believe it has been well maintained. In looking at the information site for the 525it (I believe it is a site related to this site) there is mention of expensive repairs and/or the need for good mechanical skills. I wont be doing alot of wrenching on this car but wonder if I will really face alot of high costs. I know it will be more than the 318ti but I dont expect to get enormous bills. I could sell the car right now for a profit but love bmw quality and want to spend my money with that company. Are there any studies that have been done on what the costs are to operate this type of car as compared to a some other roughly comparable vehicle? I know nothing compares to the ride and feel of a bmw as well as the pride of ownership but I have a limited budget here. Any ideas would be warmly welcomed. Sincerely, Kevin in Colorado.

EJ
04-21-2005, 01:43 PM
My indy that has over 20 years experience on BMW and Mercedes feels as if the 91-95 525i and 93-95 325i are the best BMWs to own when it comes to maintance cost. He said not to even bother with the 318i. They cost about the same to maintain and the 2.5l is much more fun. If you want to stick with BMW then you already have the best car from a maintance stand point.

BTW my indy has over 180k on his 92 525i. I had a 91 with 160k and finally had to replace the radiator. The trans is also orginal in it.

Eric