PDA

View Full Version : snow chains

fill007
04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Anyone know if installing chains on a full time all wheel drive vehicle if I need two sets of chains?

b-y
04-11-2005, 09:44 PM
The owners manual says to put chains on the rear whels only and turn off the DSC. I found a nice set of Konigs at a discount price, but happily didn't need them coming back over Donner Summit in what seemed like a blizzard to me. (Although I did carry the chains just in case.)

echelon153
04-12-2005, 12:51 PM
For the Greater Lake Tahoe and Sierra Nevada, R3(Chains required;no exceptions) is so rare that you don't need chains at all. Most of the time it's R1 (Chains required, except with snow tires) or R2 (Chaines required, except for four wheel drive and snow tires).

dkl
04-12-2005, 12:54 PM
But still...you should still have chains with you just in case that one rare R3 occasion does occur so that you don't get turned back or worst...stranded.

climrgrl
04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
But still...you should still have chains with you just in case that one rare R3 occasion does occur so that you don't get turned back or worst...stranded.

Stranded in Mammoth Lakes is what I DREAM about!!! :)

echelon153
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM

sure. but i never bought any type of tire chains for all the 4wheel and all wheel drive vehicles i owned. i still have a toy p/u 4x4, had a land rover before and now own an x3. i don't see myself buying tire chains for any of the above vehicles. certainly there is that chance that an R3 restriction would be posted. in that case i will be indoors playing it safe. i had been a resort and a back country snowboarder for over 13 years and not once an R3 was posted during my outings at Lake Tahoe or the Sierra's. if i'm not mistaken, on the bmw x3 accessories catalog there's a tire chain (i think).

just my $.02 :)

fill007
04-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Espestially on the rear only and turning of DCS.

Just purchased a set of SCC Super Z-6 SZ139. These are the best I've seen. The installation instructions say after the install you don't have to re-adjust. i.e. drive a few feet to retighten.

http://www.scc-chain.com/index.asp

b-y
04-13-2005, 05:59 PM
They look like they are very nicely designed. I like the diagonal pattern and the the strong tightener. I have Konigs with a diamond pattern (the "no problem" line) and a built-in spring. (See URL below.) After losing a similar one on a rear drive MBZ c-class, I now always use tighteners, even though they are supposedly not required. I still recommend checking the installation after the first quarter mile or so. If all goes well, you'll never need to use the chains on the X3.

From my last experience here are a couple of driving tips: Coming down the Alpine Meadows approach road, I used 2nd gear all the way. On I-80, as conditions deteriorated over the summit, I used SD for both up and downhill. I had to concentrate on keeping the speed down. With only the stock Pirelli all-season tires, it was very easy to start going faster than I realized at times.

I hope to get a couple of more days on the slope, but it doesn't look like it will happen.

URL: http://www.konig.it/SchedaProd.aspx?ID=132