PDA

View Full Version : Price Break on gas for Bimmerfest

tauremini
04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone thinks we can get a price break on gas down in Santa Barbara. After all, we are bringing roughly 500+ cars to the area. Maybe someone could get in touch with one of the major gas stations closest to the event and arrange something. I was thinking we could set it up so everyone who attends Bimmerfest who uses the gas station gets a lower price on Premium. If we do it with one station, they will get ALL of our business while the other stations get NONE. It seems to me it would be worth it to any business to capture ALL the spending instead of giving people a choice. Let me know what you guys think or tweak my idea to make it work.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
So for a grand total savings of like $500 for all the cars, you want to set up a massive GB that will be so much effort that sane people won't bother participating in the first place?

tauremini
04-12-2005, 01:27 PM
So for a grand total savings of like $500 for all the cars, you want to set up a massive GB that will be so much effort that sane people won't bother participating in the first place?

What I'm saying is that if when we get there, Premium is $3.06, they give anyone with Bimmerfest 10% off. Or Premium for the price of Regular. Where is the effort on our part. Why would they care anyway? They would make even more revenue from selling sodas and snack and crap to the 500+ extra customers thy would be seeing that day.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-12-2005, 01:35 PM
What I'm saying is that if when we get there, Premium is $3.06, they give anyone with Bimmerfest 10% off. Or Premium for the price of Regular. Where is the effort on our part. Why would they care anyway? They would make even more revenue from selling sodas and snack and crap to the 500+ extra customers thy would be seeing that day.
10% may well be more than their profit margin.

BahnBaum
04-12-2005, 01:44 PM
You'd have to pay me more than $.10/gal to get me to wait in the lines.

Alex

tauremini
04-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Don't worry about the percent right now, that would be up to them anyway. There wouldn't be a moajor wait in line, everyone is leaving at different times and will have gassed up at different times. Gosh, I guess th gas prices don't mean much to you guys. Just trying help people out. SB does have some of the highest prices in the state next to the BayArea.

LmtdSlip
04-12-2005, 02:05 PM
... There wouldn't be a moajor wait in line, everyone is leaving at different times and will have gassed up at different times. ..

Then where is the incentive for the retailer?

As pointed out margins on retail gas is way less than 10%.

Kaz
04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Even at 10% of three bucks, that's $4.50 savings, or an extra 1.5gals on an empty tank (15gals). Just have one less beer for the weekend and you'd be further ahead. Or not go on the road rally.

shragon
04-12-2005, 02:30 PM
good luck. if anything, they'd jacked up the price.

Terry Kennedy
04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
As pointed out margins on retail gas is way less than 10%.Really? Must be a regional thing. A friend of mine who has a station in NY told me he was making 33 cents a gallon on regular (when it was around $2/gallon) and that the he got about half of the difference on the premium grades (so, if regular was $2.10 and mid-grade premium was $2.10, he'd make 38 cents - 33 on the base + half of 10).

Keith
04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
good luck. if anything, they'd jacked up the price.

That's what I was thinking Rob, they'd say, take that you BMW owners! :p

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Really? Must be a regional thing. A friend of mine who has a station in NY told me he was making 33 cents a gallon on regular (when it was around $2/gallon) and that the he got about half of the difference on the premium grades (so, if regular was $2.10 and mid-grade premium was $2.10, he'd make 38 cents - 33 on the base + half of 10).
Before, or after expenses?

Mathew
04-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Google for phone numbers of gas stations in the nearby area and call them up. See how many will even entertain the idea.

Terry Kennedy
04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Before, or after expenses?After. Though I don't know he handles his accounting, as he is one of the few major-brand-affiliated stations that sells gas and fixes cars, and doesn't sell soda, candy bars, etc. So it is possible that he's allocating some expenses to the car repair side of the house. I can ask him for more details the next time I talk to him.

amdspitfire
04-13-2005, 03:09 PM
130 miles there and 130 back + the drive. Im hoping i wont burn my gas up like crazy!