PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Privacy Glass

adc
04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Does anybody have the Privacy Glass option? And if so, would you recommend it?

My toddler son does not like the harsh sunlight and we will either get this option or do an aftermarket tint. Too bad there isn't an option like the attachable perforated shades like on the E46 3 series sedans...

I'm just wondering if the privacy glass will be sufficiently dark - because I can have an aftermarket tint for half the price as dark as I want...

Thanks for your feedback,

adc
03 330 ZHP

calgaryx3
04-14-2005, 09:18 AM
For us Canucks, the Privacy glass comes as standard on the 3.0L, so I had little choice when I purchased my vehicle.

Since I don't sit back there, I can't comment on how much light it filters out. It is however very light, and from some angles, in some exposures, the car appears to have no tint at all if you look through it.

While the benefit of the privacy glass is the actual opaque glass installed at the factory vs. a film which runs the risk of discolouration, bubbling, poor fit etc, I would still opt for an aftermarket film, installed professionally given the cost factor. I only intend on keeping my vehicles for 3-4 years, so the long term issues associated with cheap films aren't a concern for me.

And I agree....why are entry level Bimmers, Benzes and Audi's coming with shades when our top of the line "premium" SAVs don't? :dunno:

My 2C

Asif

Laosk
04-14-2005, 09:31 AM

Yes. Our 05 X3 3.0 has it. I had the intention of also tinting the front windows to match the privacy glass, but when the car arrived, I was amazed at how light the privacy glass was. Needless to say, the tinting shop said they didn't have a tint on hand that would exactly match the privacy glass.
Which was ok, as it is so light, I might just end up doing a tint to all the windows to make it a bit darker.
I'm not looking for limo tint or anything like that, but like your son, I do not like harsh light, and the privacy glass is insufficient IMHO.

liuk3
04-14-2005, 09:41 AM
And I agree....why are entry level Bimmers, Benzes and Audi's coming with shades when our top of the line "premium" SAVs don't? :dunno:

If you consider your X3 top of the line premium, what do you consider entry-level? My car has sunshades, and I'll be the first to admit that it is not top of the line.

echelon153
04-14-2005, 01:01 PM

My toddler son does not like the harsh sunlight and we will either get this option or do an aftermarket tint. Too bad there isn't an option like the attachable perforated shades like on the E46 3 series sedans...

I'm just wondering if the privacy glass will be sufficiently dark - because I can have an aftermarket tint for half the price as dark as I want...

Thanks for your feedback,

adc
03 330 ZHP

i had mine (privacy glass) tinted with ATR. the factory tint IMO is not dark enough to block sunlight. check out my previous post:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88682

jliu34740
04-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Standard privacy glass is not very dark. You can see the person sitting in the back.

calgaryx3
04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
"If you consider your X3 top of the line premium, what do you consider entry-level? My car has sunshades, and I'll be the first to admit that it is not top of the line"

I don't think 3.0L X3s with all available options including the "premium" package, and retailing at close to $64,000 CDN get any more premium than that do they?

Perhaps you misunderstood my post? :dunno: :)

Asif