X3 3.0 moving to Canada [Archive] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

: X3 3.0 moving to Canada

04-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey guys,

Hopefully somebody can answer this question for me. I am currently living in Morristown, NJ (USA), but will be moving to Canada in a few months because of work related circumstances. I want to buy the X3 3.0, but I am not sure if I have to modify the car in any way so that I can take it to Canada. Do I need to do any modifications to the car so that it will pass Canadian inspection? If I don't have to modify it in any way, is there a website that verifies this.

The reason I am asking is that I would rather buy the car in the US, but I do not want to get surprised when I get to Canada. Thanks in advance. :)

04-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Which part of Canada? It's big country, you know? :)

In BC, the only thing you have to do, is to pay around $100 for "inspection". You won't have to change anything. It's just a cash grab by the insurence company.

Why would you want to buy in the US? It's relatively cheaper in Cdn.


04-14-2005, 03:48 PM
I guess the key question is how long you will be here in Canada for. If you are here medium-term on a work permit, (less than 36 months), my understanding is you can import a US-certified vehicle temporarily with no modifications required. If you are going to be here longer than that your car has to be modified. Note that no Canadian province will register your car until you have an import licence. This in turn means you won't be able to get Canadian insurance.

Note also that if you have a temporary import licence you cannot legally sell your car here.

You still have to pay 7% GST on the Red Book market value of the car at the time of importation, and you may be subject to customs duty as well. Some Canadian provinces will also assess provincial tax on the market value of the car at the time of registration (e.g. Ontario).

If you are going to be here less than 6 months, I would suggest you keep your car registered and insured in the US. More than that and you likely won't be able to get US insurance.

If you are going to be here a good few years, just buy the car here!

Hope the above helps. For further info visit the Canadian customs guys at cbsa.gc.ca, look under vehicles.