I am about to take European delivery of a 2005 X3 (E83) in Munich
which will be equiped with a Navigation system. I asume this will be a
MK4 since this is a new car. I have a "BMW Road Map Europe high 2004-2" DVD
part number T 1000-7794 in my posession. Does any one have an idea if
this DVD will work in that car?

Thanks

rbe
04-14-2005, 08:11 PM
It should work fine. That's the same version we used in our '04 X-3 last year. It found every little town and road we traveled to in Germany, France, Italy and Austria. It was really nice to have, especially on the roundabouts.

ronx3
04-15-2005, 07:28 AM
It should work fine. That's the same version we used in our '04 X-3 last year. It found every little town and road we traveled to in Germany, France, Italy and Austria. It was really nice to have, especially on the roundabouts.

Thanks so much for the information, this makes me feel much better. We will be off the beaten path. Two years ago we rented a 5 series BMW Diesel, with Navigation on our last vacation in Europe. The car was amazing and the Navigation system got me through downtown Amsterdam, Paris, Brugge and a lot of other places without a problem. Too bad they do not have the diesel version in the US. Pickup was fine and I got over 800KM between fillups.
Did you have any problems with the European Delivery, and how long did it take before you were able to claim the car in OC?

rbe
04-16-2005, 08:11 PM
I had REAL problems. When we picked up the car, we were asked where we would be driving. We said Austria, Switzerland southern France and northern Italy. We were told that we should be fine except that there have been a lot of theft problems in southern France. I was surprised, I thought Italy might be a little risky but France should be okay. I thought maybe they were talking about Marseille. We had rented a house in a small hill town in Provence (Bonnieux) for a week. While there, we found two smashed windows when we went to the car one morning. Nothing was taken, as the car was empty. As a matter of fact the doors were still locked, they canít be opened without a key if they are locked from the outside. We called BMW and they said to take it to the nearest dealer for repairs. Compared to French dealers, U.S. dealers are wonderful. To make a long story a little shorter, we waited at the dealer for six days while they tried unsuccessfully to get a replacement window. They finally got us a rental car, not an X-3 equivalent, but a Renault without nav. We ended up leaving the car at the dealer and continuing our trip, we did miss our planned time in Tuscany. The dealer finally got the replacement window and drove the car to Nice for shipment. The car arrived about six weeks later.

The French dealer did a poor/incomplete repair and we had to have the work done be our dealer here. They did a great job and the ED insurance did pay for it.

This was our second ED experience. We bought a 325I in 2001 and dropped it off in Paris. That trip went great and I thought that was the way to buy a car. I changed my mind. If anything goes wrong, you are the mercy of a repair shop in a foreign country and you canít just get another car and continue your trip like it was a rental.

After our break-in experience, we found that most hotel/motels in southern France have locked parking area where they give you a key code. We also noticed piles of broken glass in parking area at sightseeing areas. They have a real problem.

Just wanted to give you a word of warning. We have never had a problem in other areas. Be cautious, but enjoy your trip.

ronx3
04-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I had REAL problems. When we picked up the car, we were asked where we would be driving. We said Austria, Switzerland southern France and northern Italy. We were told that we should be fine except that there have been a lot of theft problems in southern France. I was surprised, I thought Italy might be a little risky but France should be okay. I thought maybe they were talking about Marseille. We had rented a house in a small hill town in Provence (Bonnieux) for a week. While there, we found two smashed windows when we went to the car one morning. Nothing was taken, as the car was empty. As a matter of fact the doors were still locked, they canít be opened without a key if they are locked from the outside. We called BMW and they said to take it to the nearest dealer for repairs. Compared to French dealers, U.S. dealers are wonderful. To make a long story a little shorter, we waited at the dealer for six days while they tried unsuccessfully to get a replacement window. They finally got us a rental car, not an X-3 equivalent, but a Renault without nav. We ended up leaving the car at the dealer and continuing our trip, we did miss our planned time in Tuscany. The dealer finally got the replacement window and drove the car to Nice for shipment. The car arrived about six weeks later.

The French dealer did a poor/incomplete repair and we had to have the work done be our dealer here. They did a great job and the ED insurance did pay for it.

This was our second ED experience. We bought a 325I in 2001 and dropped it off in Paris. That trip went great and I thought that was the way to buy a car. I changed my mind. If anything goes wrong, you are the mercy of a repair shop in a foreign country and you canít just get another car and continue your trip like it was a rental.

After our break-in experience, we found that most hotel/motels in southern France have locked parking area where they give you a key code. We also noticed piles of broken glass in parking area at sightseeing areas. They have a real problem.

Just wanted to give you a word of warning. We have never had a problem in other areas. Be cautious, but enjoy your trip.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. We also will be going to to the south of France and then up to Beaune for some wine tasting. I have traveled extensively in Europe and have never had a problem, but it was always with a rented car. I will definately keep an eye on where I park.

Thanks for the tip