PDA

View Full Version : Auxilary Audio Input

video131313
04-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know if you can have the auxillary audi input installed on 5-series with i-Drive? Originally the dealer told me that they could (also thought that I saw this option on the BMW website), but once they had me book an appointment to install (and had me wait an hour and a half while they were "installing" it), I was told that it was not compatible with my car????!!!!

Is this the case?

ademitt
04-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know if you can have the auxillary audi input installed on 5-series with i-Drive? Originally the dealer told me that they could (also thought that I saw this option on the BMW website), but once they had me book an appointment to install (and had me wait an hour and a half while they were "installing" it), I was told that it was not compatible with my car????!!!!

Is this the case?

I have and AUX IN that was installed in my car last December. Works well with an ipod but there is no control of the ipod from the steerig wheel controls and no id3 tags in the idrive.

Here are the install instructions.

video131313
04-17-2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks so much for the info....I will have to print this out and give it to the dealer. I wonder why they told me that my car was not compatible?

I have and AUX IN that was installed in my car last December. Works well with an ipod but there is no control of the ipod from the steerig wheel controls and no id3 tags in the idrive.

Here are the install instructions.

Chnsky545i
04-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much for the info....I will have to print this out and give it to the dealer. I wonder why they told me that my car was not compatible?

Before you spend a couple hundred down at BMW, you may want to consider the FM modulator/charger that works with the Ipod and brodcasts a VERY clear channel of sound to your radio without the modifcation of your system. I am sure the make different modulators for all types of portable devices. Happy mobile audio!

PittBMW
04-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Before you spend a couple hundred down at BMW, you may want to consider the FM modulator/charger that works with the Ipod and brodcasts a VERY clear channel of sound to your radio without the modifcation of your system. I am sure the make different modulators for all types of portable devices. Happy mobile audio!

Can you recommend any particular brand/models?

Chnsky545i
04-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Can you recommend any particular brand/models?

There are many out there, it seems the ones made in China have the best performance. geeks.com has a few to check out> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-IPOD-ACC-K1&cat=IPD
My dad bought a FM-121 at that sight and I was able to pick up a clear signal from his car to mine driving at a distance of about 100ft, keep that in mind when people are sanning radio stations and you are listening to your Ipod. There are different FM fequencies you can use. From what it looks like these items cost only $15-30 and if you pick them up from Fry's Electronics you can always return what you don't like.
So how do you like you Silver Grey, I have a 2004 545i, did you pick up Logic7?

Quicksilver
04-17-2005, 11:37 AM

You could do that but remember it will work like your radio does. Not always good
when there is no reception. From town to town, when hills get in the way,in tunnels,
on the road. Many have complained about the constant search for reception even with the best FM modulator. I had one and took it back. The couple hundred dollars I spent
more than overshadowed the hassle I was having with a modulator.

bouteill
04-17-2005, 12:25 PM

What do you mean by "very clear"? I assume it's as good a FM radio signal (22kHz) right? Isn't the AUX input install providing higher quality (CD-like 44kHz sampling)?

Chnsky545i
04-17-2005, 12:44 PM
What do you mean by "very clear"? I assume it's as good a FM radio signal (22kHz) right? Isn't the AUX input install providing higher quality (CD-like 44kHz sampling)?
When I say very clear i mean to the average listener. It was as clear as a radio signal could get, no distortion or fade in the sound what so ever. I was surprised how strong the signal was up to 100ft at which point it started to fade out. I am not saying that an FM modulator is anywhere as close as a hard line, what I am saying is IMHO spending the cash or having a wire plug into my glove box or dash is less inviting to me than simply using an in car FM modulator that doubles as a charge for an Ipod. Again it comes down to the preference of the person using them. Not saying one is better than the other, just putting the options out there.

Ågent99
04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Personally, I do not like transmitting these kinds of signals via FM. It just isn't as clean and pure sounding to my ears. Be sure to listen to some before purchasing.

stajer
04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
How fortuitous! I just took a long drive over the weekend with my iPod, iTrip and 04 530 and wasn't happy with both the reception and came here looking for a better answer.

The other problem with the iTrip is the "songs" that program which station to broadcast on get played on your iPod in shuffle mode. So you might be driving a long and all of sudden you here digital beeps that indicate your iPod's iTrip has just changed its broadcast station.

I am thinking I will try the AUX input in combination with a wireless remote (wireless remote reviews) (http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/04/remoterun2/index.php).

Shawn_speed
07-29-2006, 02:06 PM
What size jack is the standard Auxiliary input in the 2006 e90? It seems that third party accessories talk about a 3.5 mm connector. Does that sound right?

Shawn
Phoenix