PDA

View Full Version : Colgan Bra - which one?

RaceTripper
04-15-2005, 01:27 PM
OK, my Carbon Black/Cinammon M3 Coupe delivery is RSN. I'm about to order a Colgan Bra but can't decide between standard black or the new carbon fiber look.

What do you think?

I'm only going to use this for road trips since I really don't have problems with rock chips otherwise (at least not in 3 years on my Sapphire Black 5er). It's a lease so I don't want to spend the money on a clear bra.

dawgbone
04-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't like them..never had....Bras commonly leave scuff marks..and if not taken off very often will result in a permanent fade line, years down the road...Plus, they're flat out ugly...Chips from rocks can be touched up, and really all the chips from rocks on nearly all my past vehivles were generally above where a bra would cover(windshield)...and I barely let dirt settle on the car, so I don't worry about bugs ruining the paint..

So my advice...use wax..it works wonders..

bren
04-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Colgan sent me a swatch of the carbon material...all I did was call and ask. When my wife saw it she likened the pattern to a wicker basket.

RaceTripper
04-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Don't like them..never had....Bras commonly leave scuff marks..and if not taken off very often will result in a permanent fade line, years down the road...Plus, they're flat out ugly...Chips from rocks can be touched up, and really all the chips from rocks on nearly all my past vehivles were generally above where a bra would cover(windshield)...and I barely let dirt settle on the car, so I don't worry about bugs ruining the paint..

So my advice...use wax..it works wonders.. The only time I will use the bra is on road trips. Put it on before leaving, take it off when arriving. I'm aware of the problems with improper/excessive use. It will really just be used for longer highway trips. So at the most, it'll be on for a day at a time, and typically for maybe 4-5 hours.

Waxing, etc. will be done regardless. I'm still deciding whether to stick with Zymol Carbon or try something else (I have a bottle of Meguiars #26 Hi-tech Yellow).

sunnykk
04-15-2005, 04:40 PM
OK, my Carbon Black/Cinammon M3 Coupe delivery is RSN. I'm about to order a Colgan Bra but can't decide between standard black or the new carbon fiber look.

What do you think?

I'm only going to use this for road trips since I really don't have problems with rock chips otherwise (at least not in 3 years on my Sapphire Black 5er). It's a lease so I don't want to spend the money on a clear bra.

I would not put a bra. You get a fading of the paint over time and no matter what you do, you can never get that back to the original color.

Clear bra is the way 2 go

JonathanIT
04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Go for basic black, especially if you have a black M3. I have the black (no emblem cutout, no license cutout) and use it only for freeway roadtrips. I haven't had any problems with scuff marks or fades, but to leave it on indefinitely would be just plain stupid. It's not hard to put on/take off, and my car is always clean and Zaino'd before hand. Personally I can't take rock chips so for me a front full nose mask is a must.

--J.

RaceTripper
04-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Go for basic black, especially if you have a black M3. I have the black (no emblem cutout, no license cutout) and use it only for freeway roadtrips. I haven't had any problems with scuff marks or fades, but to leave it on indefinitely would be just plain stupid. It's not hard to put on/take off, and my car is always clean and Zaino'd before hand. Personally I can't take rock chips so for me a front full nose mask is a must.

--J. Thanks J.

I finally talked to Colgan later today, and they said the CB look bra has a silver like shimmer to it in the light, so that pretty much settles me on getting the classic black.

I'll get the full 2 piece bra, no license plate opening, but with headlamp washer opening.

Do you have the mirror bras? I think I'll get them too.

RaceTripper
04-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Is there a good place to get the bras online that's cheaper than the Colgan web site? And one competant enough to send the correct one for my car.

Thx...

Dean

Jim in Oregon
04-16-2005, 01:16 AM
I've always used Colgan bras....I love them for trips. I always take it off if it's raining but I have used it in the rain with no paint problems. I also have the mirror bras. As for the clear bra (X-Pel, or whatever it's called), I had it on one of my BMW's and got tired of people asking me what happened to my hood?...."There's a big scratch across the hood". The clear film helps with rock chips but you just end up with a bunch of clear plastic chips after a while. For the best protection...Colgan bras will stop most rocks.

JonathanIT
04-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Do you have the mirror bras? I think I'll get them too.
No, but thanks for reminding me... I need to get a pair!

--J.

99flhr
05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
No, but thanks for reminding me... I need to get a pair!

--J.

Ordered mirror covers with bra, VERY unhappy with fit on mirrors, sent back, no hassle refund from the nice girl at Colgan. Nose bra fit was/is great. :thumbup:

JonathanIT
05-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Ordered mirror covers with bra, VERY unhappy with fit on mirrors, sent back, no hassle refund from the nice girl at Colgan. Nose bra fit was/is great. :thumbup:
Glad the bra worked out. Thanks for the tip on the mirror covers... I'll probably pass since I wouldn't use them that often anyway. Also I agree; proper fit is a major concern for me as well. let's see some pics of the bra on your car!

--J.

RaceTripper
05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
As it happens, I just ordered the front and mirror bras this weekend, and it shipped today. I'll see how the fit works out for the mirrors. If it's not perfect it won't be that big a deal, since my plan is to only use them for road trips: put it on, drive, remove when I get there.

Bill-SD
05-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I resently purchased a Colgan bra myself. Everyone told me it would be really tight. It is REALLY tight, but it will go on. Here is a link that I found that might help you out.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291538345

RaceTripper
05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
I resently purchased a Colgan bra myself. Everyone told me it would be really tight. It is REALLY tight, but it will go on. Here is a link that I found that might help you out.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291538345
Can't see this.

I hate when images are hosted where you have to join to see, which I won't do.

Bill-SD
05-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Can't see this.

I hate when images are hosted where you have to join to see, which I won't do.

I hate that too. They are not my images though and I already had an imagestation acct. You might want to save the link for when your bra arrive though. The are a lot of good installation pictures. From all angles...

Just trying to help.

RaceTripper
05-03-2005, 04:36 PM
...Just trying to help.
Oh I know you were. Thanks.

I wasn't complaining against you, just the practice in general of having to join all kinds of crap everywhere.