PDA

View Full Version : How good is Logic 7?

whippet
04-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Hey 5-series owners - some of us are eagerly awaiting our new '06 330i's (or 325's with upgraded audio) and wondering if the Logic 7 system is going to be something special. So far, those on the E90 board who have heard it in other cars seem fairly enthused, though some weren't as impressed. What say you? Is Logic 7 a first class system or mostly hype?

Matthew330Ci
04-17-2005, 12:25 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94051

whippet
04-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks, Matt, but that's my thread! I want to see how the 5 series owners who have listened to it over a long period feel. The people on the E90 forum thread didn't have more than brief listens in others' cars.

stream
04-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I think it's the best factory car stereo system I've heard. Would definitely order it again. I had it in my E55 and also liked it, and it seems the E60 version is slightly improved from the Mercedes version. Not sure if the E90 system is identical (certainly the larger and quieter E60 cabin positively impacts the sound quality).

Chnsky545i
04-17-2005, 11:07 AM
I think it's the best factory car stereo system I've heard. Would definitely order it again. I had it in my E55 and also liked it, and it seems the E60 version is slightly improved from the Mercedes version. Not sure if the E90 system is identical (certainly the larger and quieter E60 cabin positively impacts the sound quality).

For a facotry installed option I agree this Logic7 is one of the best I have heard. It is a little light on the bass, but depending on who you are you may have different desires of Bass levels. In comparison to my Aftermarket Boston Accoustics components with two 10" JL Audio with a Sony 520W RMS power the volume/bass level isn't as high, however the quality of sound is a notch above. Make sure you use the Logic7 to select audio settings and acctivate the one of two options for Logic7, concert Hall or Theatre. Theatre has more front sound in the front center dash speaker, versus the concert hall which provides a much fuller sound (depending on the song you are listening to). On a final note, the Logic7 is well worth the $.

Matthew330Ci
04-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Matt, but that's my thread! I want to see how the 5 series owners who have listened to it over a long period feel. The people on the E90 forum thread didn't have more than brief listens in others' cars.

oops, didn't realize that. :rofl:

whippet
04-17-2005, 01:18 PM

I know they're both 13 speakers, inc. 2 subs, but otherwise I'm not sure. The E90 is supposed to be much quieter than its predecessor, too! Thanks for the endorsement! :thumbup:

whippet
04-17-2005, 01:21 PM
For a facotry installed option I agree this Logic7 is one of the best I have heard. It is a little light on the bass, but depending on who you are you may have different desires of Bass levels. In comparison to my Aftermarket Boston Accoustics components with two 10" JL Audio with a Sony 520W RMS power the volume/bass level isn't as high, however the quality of sound is a notch above. Make sure you use the Logic7 to select audio settings and acctivate the one of two options for Logic7, concert Hall or Theatre. Theatre has more front sound in the front center dash speaker, versus the concert hall which provides a much fuller sound (depending on the song you are listening to). On a final note, the Logic7 is well worth the $.

That's great! I don't need booming bass, so no worries there. Are there seperate settings or controls for the subs?

Concert Hall sounds best for me (70's rock and classical).

Chnsky545i
04-17-2005, 01:27 PM
That's great! I don't need booming bass, so no worries there. Are there seperate settings or controls for the subs?

Concert Hall sounds best for me (70's rock and classical).

You can only control the Fade (F/R) or the Balance (L/R) when it comes to the speakers. You do however have the ability to control the sound via a equalizer, I think there are 7 Frequencies to control, so you do have some influence on the amount of a given range (bass, Mids, Highs); at least on the E60 you do, I would think it would be the same on the E90 since it too uses Idrive. I leave my Fade and Balance nuetral and have the Logic7 in Concert Hall all the time, Once you get the EQ set you really don't need to adjust it. There are seperate Treble and Bass settings but I think those are best left flat, and better to utilize the EQ instead.

bobby13
04-17-2005, 01:41 PM
I've been listening to it for about a year and think it's the best vehicle system I've heard.

whippet
04-17-2005, 04:12 PM
You can only control the Fade (F/R) or the Balance (L/R) when it comes to the speakers. You do however have the ability to control the sound via a equalizer, I think there are 7 Frequencies to control, so you do have some influence on the amount of a given range (bass, Mids, Highs); at least on the E60 you do, I would think it would be the same on the E90 since it too uses Idrive. I leave my Fade and Balance nuetral and have the Logic7 in Concert Hall all the time, Once you get the EQ set you really don't need to adjust it. There are seperate Treble and Bass settings but I think those are best left flat, and better to utilize the EQ instead.

Do you still have EQ control even with no IDrive? I didn't order IDrive on my E90.

Chnsky545i
04-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Do you still have EQ control even with no IDrive? I didn't order IDrive on my E90.
I don't know about that, I know it is under vehicle settings then entertainment on the E60. I am not sure how you would control the EQ with Logic7 without I-drive.

whippet
04-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't know about that, I know it is under vehicle settings then entertainment on the E60. I am not sure how you would control the EQ with Logic7 without I-drive.

There must be a way to do it. Perhaps an extra button or 2.

Do you know how many watts per channel? Can you listen in pure stereo mode without surround processing (some old stuff sounds better that way - at least on my home receiver)?

Chnsky545i
04-17-2005, 07:16 PM

Do you know how many watts per channel? Can you listen in pure stereo mode without surround processing (some old stuff sounds better that way - at least on my home receiver)?
I don't think I even know how many watts per channel are on mine, let alone the new E90. I know you can turn off logic7 if you prefer on the I-drive E60 version. Not sure how it will work on the E90.

MarcusSDCA
04-17-2005, 08:02 PM
The Logic 7 stereo is amazing....it will spoil you for 99% of all other OEM sound systems. My only complaint is that it's an $1800 option in the 5 series because they include the glove box 6 CD changer with the package. In the new 3 series they charge $1200 for Logic 7 and you have to add the changer. I would have prefered no CD changer and a lower price.....I have the same 6 CDs in there from last June.

I have never heard distortion at high volumes....I think my ears would pop before the speakers will.

stream
04-17-2005, 08:28 PM

420 watts total. 7.2 system (7 channels plus 2 subwoofer channels). 7 x 40 watts main channels + 2 x 70 watts subwoofer channels.

13 speakers. 4 x 41mm tweeters, 7 x 100mm mid-range speakers , 2 x 217mm underseat subwoofers.

You can turn off Logic7 in iDrive.

whippet
04-17-2005, 11:48 PM
420 watts total. 7.2 system (7 channels plus 2 subwoofer channels). 7 x 40 watts main channels + 2 x 70 watts subwoofer channels.

13 speakers. 4 x 41mm tweeters, 7 x 100mm mid-range speakers , 2 x 217mm underseat subwoofers.

You can turn off Logic7 in iDrive.

Great job on the info - thanks!! How do older stereo recordings sound w/Logic 7? Or do you turn it off for such recordings. At home, DPLII doesn't sound as good as 7 channel stereo with, say, a 70's rock cd.

TGray5
04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm very happy with Logic7, although I only drove it for about 6 days in Europe. I don't like theater mode as it seems like too much sound comes out of the center speaker, but concert mode is great. :thumbup:

Chnsky545i
04-18-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm very happy with Logic7, although I only drove it for about 6 days in Europe. I don't like theater mode as it seems like too much sound comes out of the center speaker, but concert mode is great. :thumbup:
The only sense Theatre mode makes is when you watch a movie at a Drive-in in your car, how often would we be doing this, I guess if we could play DVD movies on the in-dash screens it may make sense. Anyone have any idea if there is an aftermarket upgrade or softwrae to enable the DVD drive to play movies?

Ågent99
04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Logic 7 is leaps and bounds better than the E39 stuff. I was only able to play with it for 5 days in Europe (car is on a boat now...due in May 1st!) but it all sounded nice to me. Not sure if it is worth $1640 (invoice) but for a built-in system all done, it works for me! :)

niktee
04-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Putting Logic 7's worth in strictly monetary terms......Cost:$1800.00, Worth:$1200.00. It ain't bad, but I just cant't stop thinking something missing.

whippet
04-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Putting Logic 7's worth in strictly monetary terms......Cost:$1800.00, Worth:$1200.00. It ain't bad, but I just cant't stop thinking something missing.

"Something[s] missing" - can you elaborate?

georgeios1
01-26-2008, 06:49 AM
there are two subs in this system.. will this provide alot of base.. i want base! what can i expect from this system in terms of base???

flipside
01-26-2008, 07:10 AM
1st base? 2nd base? 3rd base?

Bumping a 3 year old thread base? :D

Fahrer
01-26-2008, 07:39 AM
FWIW, I have Logic 7 in 2003 MBE320. I think it is a great system ( good surround sound)with different modes. It came with a package that was not too expensive and the basic stereo was not that great. If a car comes with a good standard stereo (I understand the 5er comes with a decent 10 speaker stereo) I wouldn't spend a lot of $$ to upgrade.

bucksbud
01-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Few comments on Logic7. First, you no longer get a cd changer with L7. Really ship it with iPod and all. It is amazing and really kicks. There is ample bass to a point where it ponds out the rest of the range. Nice to be sitting on it as you really feel it. The other side to this system is the clear hi's. I am hearing nuances in songs that I never knew were there which means very clear. Concert or theatre does not really matter, but importantly the music is not overprocessed.

The best feature that works outstanding with L7 is the HD radio option. Not to be redundant but it is so clear and crisp. iPod is equally nice and deletes having to have a cd changer! My son who is 2.5 loves it and constantly wants me to turn it up.

I have never heard the system on a 3 but did have it in my Rover. It was the best and only good feature in that vehicle. More wattage and bass that was about it!

You can't go wrong and if you do ED you can justify all those options, well that is how I did it.

Enjoy!

cltsig
01-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Ditto on the HD + L7. L7 on "regular" radio is just respectable but when on an HD station, it's 3 times as good. I do sense some stations don't broadcast "flat" but instead bump up the highs and lows, so it sound crappy regardless. Maybe a tinge distorted even. However, a nice clean HD broadcast with L7 just rocks!

GolferEngineer
01-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Those HD commercials are great!:thumbup:

Seriously, the HD radio is nice but the range is much shorter than regular AM or FM. The HD stations I can receive in central NJ constantly go in and out of HD even the "local" ones.

I replaced the 6-disc changer with the iPod interface and it is great. Now if BMW would just offer XM instead of Sirius . . .

bajanjack
01-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Those HD commercials are great!:thumbup:

Seriously, the HD radio is nice but the range is much shorter than regular AM or FM. The HD stations I can receive in central NJ constantly go in and out of HD even the "local" ones.

I replaced the 6-disc changer with the iPod interface and it is great. Now if BMW would just offer XM instead of Sirius . . .

I'm here in central NJ also and agree about the "in and out".....I've been more successful with am then fm ie,770am, 710, etc......what fm stations are you even getting in?

Chnsky545i
01-30-2008, 02:15 PM
there are two subs in this system.. will this provide alot of base.. i want base! what can i expect from this system in terms of base???

Unless you are in the hood and want to bounce people off their couch. there is plenty of bass with the Logic7 system. In some cases, I have had passengers ask for be to lessen the amount of bass.

GolferEngineer
01-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm here in central NJ also and agree about the "in and out".....I've been more successful with am then fm ie,770am, 710, etc......what fm stations are you even getting in?

770 AM for Imus is in and out, FM 94.3, WRAT and 95.5 sometimes are HD. FYI, I'm in Howell in Monmouth County.

FlyingDragon
01-30-2008, 08:32 PM
A lot of the times I think about which song I'm going to play before I get in my 530i. That's how much I love the L7 sound system!

The_Missile
04-10-2008, 03:35 AM
I have an amp + boom box system installed in my E34 that I would possibly like to transfer to the Logic7 installation in my soon to be delivered 2008 sport wagon.

With the logic 7, what wires do I need to tap into (color and location in a sport wagon) and can I drive the additional bass in parallel to the Logic7 or instead of it ?

Grubby_lv
10-14-2008, 03:47 AM
Hey guys I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldnt find anything. Does anyone know if the Logic 7 sound system in e60 and e65 (both pre-facelift) is the same, similar or much worse? Because I used to have a e65 and the Logic 7 system in that car was amazing, now I am buying a 2003 e60 and im wondering about what to expect..

Thanks

yahtzee
10-14-2008, 05:34 AM
I have owned L7 in a 535i and then opted for the performance audio upgrade in the new M3. L7 blows that system out of the water.

goodchip
10-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Well I'm old and my hearing ain't what used to be.....
But I think Logic 7 is pretty darn fine.
And my 20 year old son thinks its pretty darn fine too, so I'd call that an endorsement!

Mysticblue325i
10-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Why won't this thread die???:):D:):D

mh17m3
10-24-2008, 04:32 PM
How much does it cost to uprage to Logic 7?

Elias
10-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I just got my 09 535i with L7 and it is the bomb I highly reccommend it if your in to music you won't be dissappointed big improvement from my old Harmon system.

GBPackerfan1963
10-24-2008, 08:32 PM
L7 is phenominal, not let the thread die. :rofl:

bimmerlust
10-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, I'm probably going to feel like the mole in the whack a mole game after I say this, but I actually kind of like the stock stereo better. My sister has the stock stereo and I have L7 and I'm sure I'm probably just adjusting the thing wrong but I CAN'T get it to sound in a way that doesn't hurt my ears. I've tried both settings, I can't remember their names. Concert hall and something else I think. And I've played with the equalizer settings and balance and bass and treble and everything I can think of. I've just ended up turning the volume way down. In my sister's car with the regular stereo I can turn it up loud and enjoy it. Sorry I can't say something positive. :-(

RatherBeInCabo
10-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Wow, I'm probably going to feel like the mole in the whack a mole game after I say this, but I actually kind of like the stock stereo better. My sister has the stock stereo and I have L7 and I'm sure I'm probably just adjusting the thing wrong but I CAN'T get it to sound in a way that doesn't hurt my ears. I've tried both settings, I can't remember their names. Concert hall and something else I think. And I've played with the equalizer settings and balance and bass and treble and everything I can think of. I've just ended up turning the volume way down. In my sister's car with the regular stereo I can turn it up loud and enjoy it. Sorry I can't say something positive. :-(
There must be something wrong with your L7 then, get it checked out!

bimmerlust
10-26-2008, 04:20 PM
There must be something wrong with your L7 then, get it checked out!

could be. i bought the car used & maybe the former owner rocked it out too hard or something. all i know is that i am either hearing a hiss or too much bass so i just keep the volume down. i've thought about having the speakers checked out at the local auto audio place to see if they're blown or something. maybe they could explain what all those equalizer levels are for, too! lol!

TTA89
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I just bought an 04 545 with L7 and I expected it to be better based on the reviews. It def has bass but I don't think the mid and highs are all that clear. I'm still playing with the EQ but I don't think I'd pay for it new.

:)

Surdy
10-26-2008, 09:45 PM
could be. i bought the car used & maybe the former owner rocked it out too hard or something. all i know is that i am either hearing a hiss or too much bass so i just keep the volume down. i've thought about having the speakers checked out at the local auto audio place to see if they're blown or something. maybe they could explain what all those equalizer levels are for, too! lol!

Looks like the equalizer settings have excess bass and treble boost. Bring down the equalizer to 2db or 4db upto 200hz and also anything above 10k. And the treble and bass settings should be flat at 0db. From here you can play around with the settings in small increments and see what you like. And use originals CD's instead of burned MP3 CDs. And I would move the fader to +2 or 3 for Rear

Once I get my 535 I will try to post the equalizer settings that sound the most neutral. But it's going to be at least a month as I am traveling a lot in the next few weeks.

calpalmer
10-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Looks like the equalizer settings have excess bass and treble boost. Bring down the equalizer to 2db or 4db upto 200hz and also anything above 10k. And the treble and bass settings should be flat at 0db. From here you can play around with the settings in small increments and see what you like. And use originals CD's instead of burned MP3 CDs. And I would move the fader to +2 or 3 for Rear

Once I get my 535 I will try to post the equalizer settings that sound the most neutral. But it's going to be at least a month as I am traveling a lot in the next few weeks.

Great suggestions. You'd also move the balance +1 to the right?
Cal

GolferEngineer
10-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Here's a re-posting of my previous information about measurements and settings to my car:

I've measured the acoustic response of my car using both an audio spectrum analyzer and a Radio Shack digital VU meter.

To get a fairly flat response here are the settings:
100 -4
200 0
500 0
1K +8
2K +3
5K +3
10K +10

Yes, the above settings are correct for my car. This is with the windows closed and no surround settings. I used the AUX input jack.

For the techies: I used white noise source with a 1/3 octave digital spectrum analyzer. I then followed up using a signal generator and a Radio Shack VU meter to see if the elaborate and expensive equipment provided a better analysis - it wasn't that much better.

Now, not wanting to over drive the system and get a little more bass, I've used the following settings:
100 -2
200 0
500 0
1K +4
2K +3
5K +3
10K +5

My conclusion is that the bass is too strong (given that there are two subwoofers, one under each fron t seat) and that the highs need a little help. I've always liked pure, smooth bass without the boominess which is why I decreased the 100Hz setting. Increasing the high end will add shimmer to cymbals and add more presence.

Some may want to start with the above settings and then tweak them to your personal taste.

Surdy
10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks Golfer for the work. The settings look good. I have a 535xi coming that has similar options as yours so I should be all set to go.

bimmerlust
10-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks Golfer for the work. The settings look good. I have a 535xi coming that has similar options as yours so I should be all set to go.

Guru - Congrats on the ride! I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Take care,
Brandy

bimmerlust
10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Here's a re-posting of my previous information about measurements and settings to my car:

I've measured the acoustic response of my car using both an audio spectrum analyzer and a Radio Shack digital VU meter.

To get a fairly flat response here are the settings:
100 -4
200 0
500 0
1K +8
2K +3
5K +3
10K +10

Yes, the above settings are correct for my car. This is with the windows closed and no surround settings. I used the AUX input jack.

For the techies: I used white noise source with a 1/3 octave digital spectrum analyzer. I then followed up using a signal generator and a Radio Shack VU meter to see if the elaborate and expensive equipment provided a better analysis - it wasn't that much better.

Now, not wanting to over drive the system and get a little more bass, I've used the following settings:
100 -2
200 0
500 0
1K +4
2K +3
5K +3
10K +5

My conclusion is that the bass is too strong (given that there are two subwoofers, one under each fron t seat) and that the highs need a little help. I've always liked pure, smooth bass without the boominess which is why I decreased the 100Hz setting. Increasing the high end will add shimmer to cymbals and add more presence.

Some may want to start with the above settings and then tweak them to your personal taste.

Hi,
Thanks for your post. I plugged in your "flat" settings and in addition had the bass at zero or the middle hash mark and the treble at the same to start. This still sounded too "boomy" to me so I turned the bass way down. Still had too much boom. By boom I mean the sound you hear when you pull up beside the kid with the tiny car and the giant speakers. I don't know the technical term, but whatever it is it sounds "boomy" to me. Anyway, turning the bass way down still didn't cut it so I went to the equalizer and played with the setting on the 100. This seemed to control the boominess so I cranked it down until the boominess went down and then I adjusted the other equalizer settings until the overall effect was pleasing to my ear. Oh and I turned the concert hall thing off. I'm going to write down my settings tonight and then post them. I can already tell we're going to have a problem though because my husband likes more "boom". I wish equalizer settings were part of the key memory! It would sure be nice!

Surdy
10-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Guru - Congrats on the ride! I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Take care,
Brandy

Brandy

Thanks for helping me find a car. And Good Luck with your new venture.

GolferEngineer
10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Yep, you don't have enough control with the bass and equilizer to prevent the boomy bass!
The settings I provided were as close to flat as I could get.

Pafolo
07-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm not 100% on all options my 2008 550i has since we got it used but it's mostly loaded and login 7 is as some I love that system and if you want bass you can adjust the equalizer settings and you can get some more from the system I was having a blast the other day windows down music up and my friend that lives across the street could here it he had to turn his tv up :) all in all I love the car and the radio is great but I also love my 2000 e46 323i it has the Harmon kardon stuff idk if it has the speakers or not but that radio is beast has great bass even for a 14 year old car