PDA

View Full Version : Caravan Speeds!

Sumptuous
04-20-2005, 04:25 PM
What is the average speeds of cars in the caravan? is it like the DTMpower where people
drive on the shoulders and do dounuts on the freeway? and go under 18 wheelers and all that good stuff? lol . . j/p, but seriously what is the average speeds of the Bimmers or does it vary?

Matthew330Ci
04-20-2005, 06:18 PM
i've never been to bimmerfest but i heard that the so cal caravan going up in the morning likes to go 100+ most of the way, which i think is unbelievably dumb. i don't know about the 'official' bimmerfest road rally in the afternoon.

i asked this question before and i just got one answer (the one above), i wish more people would chime in.

Jon Shafer
04-20-2005, 06:20 PM
The official position is to obey all posted vehicle regulations...

:)

LordGop
04-20-2005, 09:08 PM
The speed varys, I'd say a majority of the caravan goes in the fast lane after we all get on, and flows with freeway speeds...there is a few people going fast here and there, but your not going to be left behind or anything....you could almost get off an exit get fast food and still be in the caravan lol, its a lot of cars hehe.

JT///M3
04-20-2005, 11:10 PM
please just don't tell the CHP we're all coming...oh well, probably too late as CHPahoy has told all his little chippie buddies...do watch out while going N. bound on the 101, they do have the air patrol

Vroomer
04-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Well, I would say go the speed limit MINUS 5mph. That way, you can have a Catch Up Speed be the speed limit. Now, no one will need to speed. Also, put the 'slowest' car in the front.

I'd bet the cops will be focusing in on a group of BMWs.

--edit--

Oh a V1 will NOT save you from the air patrol pacing you and him radioing his buddies on the ground. Been stopped that way. not cool.

~Vroomer

chpahoy
04-21-2005, 09:29 AM
"CHPahoy has told all his little chippie buddies" (Quote)

JT, you're a real piece of work. Why do you have to make a personal attack at me! I don't tell my co-workers how to do their job, and if you're out there driving 100+ as you stated in previous threads you should expect to pay the consequences. I am an enthusiast along with everyone else and the last thing I'm going to do is infringe on their having a good time, whether it be at the speed limit or above.

e30sd
04-21-2005, 09:59 AM
does anyone have that pic of chpahoy directing traffic during the rally in '03? that cracked me up so much!

528i
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
does anyone have that pic of chpahoy directing traffic during the rally in '03? that cracked me up so much!

http://www.linquist.net/pictures/030412_Bimmerfest/DSCN0971.sized.jpg

:D

e30sd
04-21-2005, 01:45 PM
haha Good times!

Mr. The Edge
04-21-2005, 01:52 PM
20-25 mph

SergioK
04-21-2005, 05:08 PM
"CHPahoy has told all his little chippie buddies" (Quote)

JT, you're a real piece of work. Why do you have to make a personal attack at me! I don't tell my co-workers how to do their job, and if you're out there driving 100+ as you stated in previous threads you should expect to pay the consequences. I am an enthusiast along with everyone else and the last thing I'm going to do is infringe on their having a good time, whether it be at the speed limit or above.

I think the BMW caravan should be lead by oilhead BMWs... that way your 'little chippie buddies' can participate as well! :thumbup: :D

http://www.mermaid-e.com/police/R1100RTP/BMsideJPG.JPG

Infamous
04-21-2005, 08:30 PM
... and if you're out there driving 100+ as you stated in previous threads you should expect to pay the consequences..

i learned my lesson last year.. :eeps:

SergioK
04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
i learned my lesson last year.. :eeps: And you'll keep paying for it for the next 2 years and if you get popped for it again within 5, you'll really pay for it (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc13355.htm)!

E34M50TU
04-21-2005, 11:00 PM
i'm wondering if there are any caravans meeting up in the san fernando valley area?...i'm hoping to roll with a few other bimmers...this is the first fest for me so its all new to me...let me know if there are anyone meeting around my area...thanks!

LordGop
04-21-2005, 11:06 PM
i'm wondering if there are any caravans meeting up in the san fernando valley area?...i'm hoping to roll with a few other bimmers...this is the first fest for me so its all new to me...let me know if there are anyone meeting around my area...thanks!

OMG are you for realz lol there is a huge caravan leaving from Balboa park.

http://gripspeed.com/caravan/

E34M50TU
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
so i read on another post...like i said, i'm a rookie here so bare with me...hehehe...do you happen to know the exact details on that particular caravan?...and also, how much does it cost to go to the fest?..thanks man!! nice M3 btw...love the color...

LordGop
04-22-2005, 12:00 AM
so i read on another post...like i said, i'm a rookie here so bare with me...hehehe...do you happen to know the exact details on that particular caravan?...and also, how much does it cost to go to the fest?..thanks man!! nice M3 btw...love the color...

The fest is totally free, expect for any raffle tickets you buy or parts hehe. Totally free.

All the details are under that gripspeed like then in the LA caravan section. We are meeting at the Park at the times on there getting to B fest at about 9:10ish or so.

The Los Angeles Caravan: Will meet at: Balboa Park, Encino
At the time of: 7:35am
To Depart at the time of: 8am SHARP
Departure Destination: BIMMERFEST 2005 OMG!!!!!~~1!!!oneone
Point of Contact: Jonathan AKA DCLordGop
(PM on Bimmerforums.com)

Balboa Park: (SD/OC GOES here, LA MEETS here)
6000 Balboa Blvd
Encino, CA 91316

Cutter Motors BMW of Santa Barbara: (EVERYBODY goes/meets here)
402 S. Hope Ave.
Santa Barbara, CA 93105

Please print yourself a set of directions if you need to, using an online directions/map service, such as http://maps.yahoo.com/dd

Directions to Bimmerfest from Balboa Park:
1. Hop onto the US-101 North
2. Exit Hope Ave. towards La Cumbre Rd.
3. Continue on S. Hope Ave.
4. Jesus, look at all the cars in front of you. YOU'RE THERE!!!~!1

Sumptuous
04-22-2005, 12:47 AM
ok ok ok so I have new tires. im topping out at 165.

SergioK
04-22-2005, 09:19 AM
ok ok ok so I have new tires. im topping out at 165.

:thumbup: :D

bimmerguy2006
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Well, I would say go the speed limit MINUS 5mph. That way, you can have a Catch Up Speed be the speed limit. Now, no one will need to speed. Also, put the 'slowest' car in the front.

I'd bet the cops will be focusing in on a group of BMWs.

--edit--

Oh a V1 will NOT save you from the air patrol pacing you and him radioing his buddies on the ground. Been stopped that way. not cool.

~Vroomer

If air patrol tries to determine your speed and cites you by using numbers calculated from the air and measurements, you can fight it as a speed trap - they are using landmarks to determine speeds of vehicles.

shragon
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
If air patrol tries to determine your speed and cites you by using numbers calculated from the air and measurements, you can fight it as a speed trap - they are using landmarks to determine speeds of vehicles.
yea, the plane can only assist the police cruiser in letting them know which car(s) may be speeding, then the police cruiser is required to take your speed. if not, like bimmerguy2006 said, it's an illegal speed trap.

Vroomer
04-22-2005, 02:50 PM
yea, the plane can only assist the police cruiser in letting them know which car(s) may be speeding, then the police cruiser is required to take your speed. if not, like bimmerguy2006 said, it's an illegal speed trap.

Excellent to know. I didn't get the tickett. I got a:

Cop: "how fast were you going?"

Me: "About 70-75mph"

Cop: "Try more like 80-85."

I kept thinking about Chris Rock's "how not to get your ass beat" sketch. Later my buddy said his V1 did not go off at all. So, I know there was no speed taken. I also know when my speedometer reads 70mph it is actually 67mph. Just going to get that letter from BMWNA stating how much their speedometers are overset and the study that says radar detectors are faulty. :thumbup:

~Vroomer

chpahoy
04-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Uh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news (unfortunately usually a big part of my job) but the aircraft pacing you is not a speed trap. Check the Vehicle Code for the definition.

Humblely submitted :/

SergioK
04-22-2005, 03:11 PM
And you know this how? :angel: :dunno: :p :D :bustingup

chpahoy
04-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Let's just say past experience (hundreds if not thousands of times)!!!!

;)

shragon
04-22-2005, 04:23 PM
from what i heard, the plane does not pace you, but calculates the time it takes the car to travel from one mark to another. if so, this is in violation of CVC 40802.

3 years ago at bimmerfest, at least 4 people got tickets from the plane, me being one of them. the officer said "the plane got you at XX mph, so i had to pull over." i was going to contest it, but i waited too long and couldn't do it. the 3 others contested by mail, and 2 of the tickets were dismissed by the judge by using this argument.

anyway, drive safely fellas!

Bob Clevenger
04-22-2005, 06:55 PM
... Later my buddy said his V1 did not go off at all. So, I know there was no speed taken. No, what you know from that is that speed was not taken by any of the means that a V1 will detect. There are other means, including the oldest one going: pace the suspected speeder and read your calibrated speedometer.
They wrote speeding tickets long before the use of Doppler radar.

Vroomer
04-22-2005, 07:02 PM
pace the suspected speeder and read your calibrated speedometer.
They wrote speeding tickets long before the use of Doppler radar.

Well, he was going the opposite way on the highway, I pulled off at an exit, he came zoomig up behind me and turned on his lights while I was at a stop sign.

How did he pace me while he was going the opposite direction?

~Vroomer

Bob Clevenger
04-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Well, he was going the opposite way on the highway, I pulled off at an exit, he came zoomig up behind me and turned on his lights while I was at a stop sign.

How did he pace me while he was going the opposite direction?

~Vroomer Good question. No answer.