PDA

View Full Version : Sony Ericsson P710

stevenw66
04-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Has anybody tried using bluetooth connectivity with 2005 X3 using the Cingular S710?

LarryN
04-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm wondering about this too. I have an s710a, and am getting BT in my car I pick up next month. If it doesn't, I'll get my sim cloned and leave my old unlocked T616 in the car for that purpose. The great thing is that there's now a power outlet in the armrest compartment of the e90's (dunno about the X3's tho).

weinschela
04-21-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm wondering about this too. I have an s710a, and am getting BT in my car I pick up next month. If it doesn't, I'll get my sim cloned and leave my old unlocked T616 in the car for that purpose. The great thing is that there's now a power outlet in the armrest compartment of the e90's (dunno about the X3's tho).

Can you please xplain what you mean by getting your SIm cloned? Use two phones with one number? Where would one go for this?

LarryN
04-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Can you please xplain what you mean by getting your SIm cloned? Use two phones with one number? Where would one go for this?

You could likely get it done in Chinatown in NYC at many places. There are places that sells kits to backup your sim (http://ucables.com/products/simcards/) as well.

There are debates that if you have both phones on at the same time, recognized by your carrier, that they could immediately disable service, thinking there was fraud occuring on your account, and somebody stole your sim characteristics for their personal use. This has not been proven though.

If I do this, it would only be while I was in the car anyway, and I would not be using two phones simultaneously.

zcasavant
04-21-2005, 01:54 PM
You could likely get it done in Chinatown in NYC at many places. There are places that sells kits to backup your sim (http://ucables.com/products/simcards/) as well.

There are debates that if you have both phones on at the same time, recognized by your carrier, that they could immediately disable service, thinking there was fraud occuring on your account, and somebody stole your sim characteristics for their personal use. This has not been proven though.

If I do this, it would only be while I was in the car anyway, and I would not be using two phones simultaneously.

I'm interested in this too, as one of my phones is very geeky and I sometimes want to carry something in my pocket. Let me know if you find a way.

stevenw66
04-21-2005, 02:45 PM
I actually talked to Cingular about doing this at one point. They indicated that it was posssible but both could not be active (turned on) at the same time. I would love to be able to do that as well, keep one in the car and another separate phone for out of the car so if there was an issue or if I forgot my phone I would always have one in the car. I do this today but they have separate numbers so its fine for outgoing calls but no so fine for incoming.

BTW, has anybody tried pairing two separate bluetooth phones with their BMW and having them both active when you start the car? the BMW bluetooth docs say taht you can pair up to 8 phones, but not what would happen if they were both active when the BMW BT startup sequence found them both. Would it allow outgoing calls from both? How would it know which phone to use for outgoing calls?

stevenw66
04-21-2005, 03:18 PM
I found this on BMWLand.co.uk (http://bmwland.co.uk)

" just wanted to report to everyone that the Sony Ericsson S710a (Americas version of the S700i) definitely works well with the E60 (2005 530i) here in the US. The only thing missing is SMS compatiblity. It does seem to take a long time (approx 20min) for the phonebook to transfer over to the car but that was a one time wait. I am very happy with this phone so far but the customer service at Cingular is the absolute worst experience that I have ever had with any company. I could go on for days about my experience with them. Unfortunately, I have no alternative for the S710a. Thanks"