PDA

View Full Version : It's here! X3 3.0i arrived a week early...

Aaron325iT
04-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Just been told by my salesman that my Jet Black 3.0i has arrived and is ready for delivery. Sweet. Originally I was told it would arrive the last week of April, but apparently I got lucky. Only 3 weeks from purchase to delivery...

Going later today to collect the new ride. Pics of my old (325iT) and new rides to follow later.

calgaryx3
04-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Yay for a fellow Canuck owner!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Happy motoring :)
Asif

Aaron325iT
04-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Alright! Picked up my NEW X3!!! All I can say is, I'm very impressed.

After putting 200km (120mi) on it since yesterday just driving around, I have some first impressions.

Good stuff:

- The ride and handling is really quite excellent. I'm quite glad I didn't spend the $$ on the Sport package, the handling is phenomenal right out of the box. I got Pirelli Scorpion STR tires if anyone's interested

- The sunroof: Fantastic. I don't even know where to begin when praising this thing. I didn;t know that both glass panels pop up in vent mode. For some reason I think this is insanely cool.

- The standard aluminum trim is really very very nice. I'm also glad they chromed the interior door pulls, I think 2004 had black plastic?

- The exterior chrome trim is sweet, it really adds some class (to me). Apologies to our American friends, no chrome trim down there eh?

- Chrome doorsills are very cool (stamped with "BMW" no less)

- The storage space is a fair bit better than my E46, more places to put things.

- The drivetrain is great, very smooth and powerful. Gotta wait until it's broken in to wind out this six!

- Braking and brake feel is excellent

- Road and wind noise suppression is noticeably better than on my E46 wagon, somewhat surprisingly. I thought the enormous sunroof would make the X3 the noisier.

- Business CD now plays MP3s...this is very very handy. The standard (non-DSP) stereo quality is really very good. Having heard from others on the forum that it wasn't bad, I wasn't too worried but I think the sound is better than my old Ipod/aux-in setup in my wagon. Good to be able to use the steering wheel controls for the tracks again too. Shame there's no ID tag display, oh well. On a side note, warning: do not use Itunes to make your MP3 CDs. I can explain in depth more elsewhere, but suffice to say I wasted some time thanks to Apple.

Bad Stuff:

- The privacy glass tint is way too light. Lucky this is standard, I would have hated to have paid for this.

- The overall fit and finish inside is not as good as my old E46, but it's not far off and it's still very very good so maybe I'm splitting hairs here.

- Brake dust is crazy...already my rims are visibly covered after only 200km!

Aaron325iT
04-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Just got a PM from a forum member asking why I didn't like Itunes.

Well, Itunes is very simple to use, which is a plus. However, its filing convention sorts different artists into different folders on an MP3 CD, and the artist folders can be subdivided into albums. If you're like me and you have wide ranging taste (or lack thereof) in music, this will result in a huge number of folders.

Driving around I found the Business CD player doesn't seem to recognize more than 35 folders on a disc. I didn't even look at how Itunes burned the disc before I rushed off to shove it into the X3. Turns out that I had about 60+ artists on this disc (125 songs), and Itunes had created a separate folder for every one. However the directories above 35 would not play. At all. Found this out while driving, so after about 40 or so songs the player went back to directory 1. Tried a second disc I had burned the same way, and no dice.

Pretty annoying too cause Itunes otherwise has some good features like the Smart playlists. Oh well.

So, I have now turned to painstakingly recreating my playlists by hand, and manually selecting songs and then burning discs with Roxio Easy CD. Pretty annoying and time consuming. BUT...it plays every song (82 songs on this disc, and all songs are in the root directory).

Another thing about Itunes is that I forgot I had ripped some of my CDs ino AAC....so I had to spend time converting them to MP3 before burning. There's also a way to convert songs bought from Itunes itself too, but I won't say more about that publicly.

All this aggravation made me seriously consider hooking my Ipod up like my 325i setup....but the sound quality really is better coming directly from disc, I have to say.

As for displaying the ID3 tag/filename info, I think that special joy is reserved solely for those chosen people who have Nav, although I could be wrong. I don't actually miss it that much to be honest. It was nice to have the display in the Ipod with all the info when it was installed in my 325i but I can live without it.

whew that was long. Anyway, I'm still loving this car.

Thanks Ichick for the msg. :thumbup: Black 3.0i's RULE!!!

Oh yeah, thanks also to Asif for your reply above...soon X3's will take over the great white north!!!

JG
04-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Alright! Picked up my NEW X3!!! All I can say is, I'm very impressed.

After putting 200km (120mi) on it since yesterday just driving around, I have some first impressions.

Good stuff:

- The ride and handling is really quite excellent. I'm quite glad I didn't spend the $$ on the Sport package, the handling is phenomenal right out of the box. I got Pirelli Scorpion STR tires if anyone's interested

- The sunroof: Fantastic. I don't even know where to begin when praising this thing. I didn;t know that both glass panels pop up in vent mode. For some reason I think this is insanely cool.

- The standard aluminum trim is really very very nice. I'm also glad they chromed the interior door pulls, I think 2004 had black plastic?

- The exterior chrome trim is sweet, it really adds some class (to me). Apologies to our American friends, no chrome trim down there eh?

- Chrome doorsills are very cool (stamped with "BMW" no less)

- The storage space is a fair bit better than my E46, more places to put things.

- The drivetrain is great, very smooth and powerful. Gotta wait until it's broken in to wind out this six!

- Braking and brake feel is excellent

- Road and wind noise suppression is noticeably better than on my E46 wagon, somewhat surprisingly. I thought the enormous sunroof would make the X3 the noisier.

- Business CD now plays MP3s...this is very very handy. The standard (non-DSP) stereo quality is really very good. Having heard from others on the forum that it wasn't bad, I wasn't too worried but I think the sound is better than my old Ipod/aux-in setup in my wagon. Good to be able to use the steering wheel controls for the tracks again too. Shame there's no ID tag display, oh well. On a side note, warning: do not use Itunes to make your MP3 CDs. I can explain in depth more elsewhere, but suffice to say I wasted some time thanks to Apple.

Bad Stuff:

- The privacy glass tint is way too light. Lucky this is standard, I would have hated to have paid for this.

- The overall fit and finish inside is not as good as my old E46, but it's not far off and it's still very very good so maybe I'm splitting hairs here.

- Brake dust is crazy...already my rims are visibly covered after only 200km!

Pretty much my impressions with the same basic vehicle you have. Interesting how many Canucks on BFest have X3's......

The panorama roof is fantastic with all the surprise settings.

The chrome trim on the windows and grill seem like a small thing - but on a black X3 they really add some Kick A$# highlights.

The good news on the brake dust, is that it seems really bad for the first week or so - then it almost disappears. I find that this thing handles so well - you tend to blitz around and use the brakes more often because they perform so well.

Regarding fit and finish - I have grown to appreciate some of the more functional apsects of the materials - especially after lugging cargo, dogs, wet wood, bricks, dirt bikes etc.

The trunk rails I have used often to tie down heavy objects - so I can fly around corners without the trunk load shifting :D

Interesting that yours came with Pirreli's - mine came with Michelin's only a month or so ago.

I have started winding mine out after 2,000km and it moves along quite nicely - as my BMW shop foreman told me " drive it like you stole it".

Expressx
04-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Are you sure you got Privacy Glass?? Looks like standard to me.

Aaron325iT
04-23-2005, 02:18 PM
"Drive it like you stole it" - LOL

Here are some more pics of the ride, finally figured out how to embed pics in a post.

To Expressx, I agree it's not obvious that the car has privacy glass, hopefully these pics help.

BTW the weather is pretty miserable in Toronto today, as you can probably tell from these pics.

Pic 1:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/aaron328/P1010205.jpg

Pic 2: Gotta love the sunroof
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/aaron328/P1010174.jpg

Pic 3
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/aaron328/P1010212.jpg

Pic 4: Nice shiny interior (for now)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/aaron328/P1010172.jpg

JG
04-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Aaron..........

You need to get some all weather floor mats ;)

Aaron325iT
04-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Aaron..........

You need to get some all weather floor mats ;)

The dealer was cool enough to give me an OEM rubber set too....but the carpet ones look way nicer. I always switched them for winter in the 325i, so I'll think I'll put them in when winter rolls around for the X3 too. Until then, it's luxury time! :thumbup:

JG
04-23-2005, 08:03 PM
The dealer was cool enough to give me an OEM rubber set too....but the carpet ones look way nicer. I always switched them for winter in the 325i, so I'll think I'll put them in when winter rolls around for the X3 too. Until then, it's luxury time! :thumbup:

That's one more set of mats than I got!

If those are the summer mats in the photos - they blend in quite nicely.

I need to get me some.............

dherzfeld
04-24-2005, 06:54 AM
No vehicle color looks better than jet black when it's freshly detailed. :thumbup:

Not just my opinion, but fact.

Happy motoring. I hope to have my jet black/terracotta 3.0i by August or so.

USMCAg00
04-24-2005, 10:20 AM
:thumbup:

Aaron325iT
04-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys. I would have liked to have gone for terracotta but I cheaped out, plus I didn't want to wait 2-3 months for the new ride.

JG - Yeah, those are the summer carpet mats, the dealer had already installed them on delivery. The rubber mats are still in their original plastic bag with the BMW barcode on it. Pretty nice of them. Anyway, the carpet mats are really nice, feel great underfoot and really add some class to the interior.

LeucX3
04-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Hey dude, nice ride. I've got 13k miles on mine and it's driving better and better. It only gets better from here. :thumbup:

Aaron325iT
04-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey dude, nice ride. I've got 13k miles on mine and it's driving better and better. It only gets better from here. :thumbup:
Thanks! The engine already feels pretty powerful even though it's still so green. The fuel consumption is pretty horrible at the moment so I'm looking forward for break-in to be over. Other than that I'm loving this X3 :D

Tayrum
04-26-2005, 07:24 AM
What dealership in Toronto did you purchase your X3 from? I bought mine at the Downtown BMW off the DVP and they would not "throw in" the rubber mats which ticked me off. It would be interesting to know....haven't done my dealership survey yet...
Thanks!

Aaron325iT
04-26-2005, 08:48 AM
What dealership in Toronto did you purchase your X3 from? I bought mine at the Downtown BMW off the DVP and they would not "throw in" the rubber mats which ticked me off. It would be interesting to know....haven't done my dealership survey yet...
Thanks!
I got my car from Maranello in Woodbridge, next to Hwy 400 and Hwy 7. I also got a BMW golf shirt too which was nice. I've never been inside BMW Toronto, but I've driven past it many times and I always like staring at the tower of cars and the architecture, very nice. I heard that the people inside are a different story, very snooty and no deals to be had. Not a surprise really when you consider it's a corporate owned dealership and the "flagship" too.

BMWenthusiast
04-26-2005, 01:13 PM
very cool and congrats on the purchase, awesome pics, and yes, the brake dust is going to be alot

Rob V
04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Can I ask how long it took from the time you placed the order until the day you received it? I ordered my X3 instead of picking one on the lot because I still have about 3 months left on my current lease and by ordering it i would only overlap about 1 and half months. But if it arrives too early then that it more time that I have to spend with double car payments. That would suck! The sales rep gave me a time frame for which I had to place the order so that I would still qualify for the current Lease Promo and not get the car too late. I'm hoping his timing wasn't too soon.

JG
04-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks!

I got mine at Towne and Country in Markham off of 407. In addition to an excellent price.......

They threw in rubber matts - his and her BMW baseball hats, and a BMW keychain with a clock and compass built in.

Aaron325iT
04-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Can I ask how long it took from the time you placed the order until the day you received it? I ordered my X3 instead of picking one on the lot because I still have about 3 months left on my current lease and by ordering it i would only overlap about 1 and half months. But if it arrives too early then that it more time that I have to spend with double car payments. That would suck! The sales rep gave me a time frame for which I had to place the order so that I would still qualify for the current Lease Promo and not get the car too late. I'm hoping his timing wasn't too soon.

Well I got mine from incoming production, i.e. the car was already specified and nothing on it could be changed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if mine was already being shipped when I signed on the dotted line.

Believe it or not it was exactly 3 weeks from signing the order form to collecting the car (Mar 31st to Apr 21st).

As for ordering from scratch I was told 2-3 months for a custom order, so I agreed to take an incoming car instead...couldn't be bothered to wait. Also I wanted to take advantage of BMW Canada's lease deal which I thought was ending Mar 31.

Aaron325iT
04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
I got mine at Towne and Country in Markham off of 407. In addition to an excellent price.......

They threw in rubber matts - his and her BMW baseball hats, and a BMW keychain with a clock and compass built in.
JG - I thought of getting a hat, but the salesman offered me a shirt which I thought was even nicer...didn't even know they did a compass keychain. Must go and look that up in the Lifestyle catalogue!

BMWenthusiast - Thanks! Brake dust is building up like crazy! The wax job on the paint is great though, the recent rain just beaded up and fell off the car. Wonder how long that'll last...

x39339
04-26-2005, 04:36 PM

sales person says at least two to two and a half months I've ordered mine on 9th March and they says mid-May deliver, worst case is end of May which will make it almost three months. Last checked with dealer and says it's on schedule. So, I don't think it will show up too early if you order it.

x39339
04-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks!

Really? I ordered mine from there too and still waiting for Mid-May delivery. I'll keep you posted on what I can get when I pick up the car. Did you get anything at all?

JG
04-26-2005, 07:32 PM
JG - I thought of getting a hat, but the salesman offered me a shirt which I thought was even nicer...didn't even know they did a compass keychain. Must go and look that up in the Lifestyle catalogue!

BMWenthusiast - Thanks! Brake dust is building up like crazy! The wax job on the paint is great though, the recent rain just beaded up and fell off the car. Wonder how long that'll last...

I Cannot find the keychain in the catalogue. It is no ordinary keychain ;)

It is an X3 keychain...........

JG
04-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Well I got mine from incoming production, i.e. the car was already specified and nothing on it could be changed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if mine was already being shipped when I signed on the dotted line.

Believe it or not it was exactly 3 weeks from signing the order form to collecting the car (Mar 31st to Apr 21st).

As for ordering from scratch I was told 2-3 months for a custom order, so I agreed to take an incoming car instead...couldn't be bothered to wait. Also I wanted to take advantage of BMW Canada's lease deal which I thought was ending Mar 31.

I did the same thing with the exact same vehicle as Aaron325iT (shouldn't that be changed to AaronX3?).

I tracked the VIN and the Car was a few days from port in Halifax. It took 2 weeks to get to the dealer in the Toronto area from Halifax.

x39339
04-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I did the same thing with the exact same vehicle as Aaron325iT (shouldn't that be changed to AaronX3?).

I tracked the VIN and the Car was a few days from port in Halifax. It took 2 weeks to get to the dealer in the Toronto area from Halifax.

Hi JG,

I saw it on another post you said VIN number could be tracked throught wallenius & whilhelmsen web site for shipping status. I've tried put in the vin as instructed and no info were found. Do you know if all the x3s coming to canada east coast all use that company?

JG
04-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi JG,

I saw it on another post you said VIN number could be tracked throught wallenius & whilhelmsen web site for shipping status. I've tried put in the vin as instructed and no info were found. Do you know if all the x3s coming to canada east coast all use that company?

It seems through other posts that different shipping companies are used.

I would have assumed that all shipments to Halifax were through W+W but maybe there are other shippers used? I am pretty sure they all arrive in Halifax!

acitydweller
04-30-2005, 04:34 AM
congrats on yoru purchse. im almost there as well :)